• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are there any regulations concerning the treatment of third party Auditors? e.g. offering food and drink etc.

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Git-R-Done

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

Are there any regulations concerning the treatment of third party Auditors? I came from the Drug industry to Food and it was Taboo to offer food, drink (other than water) to auditors, as it was considered a form of potential influence. Just wondering if its the same for the food industry.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

Depends on who is auditing.  It is still incorrect to provide food or beverages for Governmental auditors such as Federal or State officials.  It is not unusual to provide beverages, lunch and/or snacks for customer or third party auditors, in many cases. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

I always offer water or coffee for regulatory auditors and perhaps a "communal" doughnut if available. Nothing more, not even a joke or a smile. There is definitely a fine line when dealing with the government.  Generally anything defined as a "gift" is a big no-no: tickets, meals, lodging, etc., or anything of "monetary value" (however that is defined). It's perfectly okay for our government to be wasteful and corrupt, but it's not okay to aid and abet!  :biggrin:

As far as third parties (independent), it usually customary to provide a lunch, but even some companies (Walmart) do not allow this, so read the fine print on your audit agreement.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

Along the same lines as the others, we offer coffee, tea, soda, etc for the morning meeting and will provide lunch on site if they desire. We don't take them out to dinner with cocktails, adult beverages, etc ETC.  :surprise:

That works well for us.

-Setanta         

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

The day's of long lunches off-site have long gone.

Give em nothing!

No seriously as per the others, tea, coffee, water and a sandwich...however, wallmart auditors cannot accept anything especially on ethical audits; as it could be construed as bribary.  I'll supersize your big mac meal if you strike out that NC. :rolleyes:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

We always provide lunch...because...working lunch, man.  I don't want the auditor to get up and leave if I'm paying her for the day.   3rd party audit = free lunch.  Also I want my auditor to be in a happy and good mood, and not worrying about where to go to get something or traveling in a strange area.

Government audit ?  No lunch. 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

Personally, I think the morning should begin with mimosas it would get the audit off to a good start and make it so much better overall.....unfortunately there is this silly policy about no alcohol on the job.....What the heck  :doh:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Git-R-Done

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the all the feedback, I do appreciate it!

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

We offer coffee / water to auditors but we don't really provide food or anything like that.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

2nd and 3rd party audits: IMO it's always a good idea to have water, coffee, soda and some donuts or bagels available with a working lunch offered. Regulatory inspections: water and offer to get a lunch delivered (but fully expect the inspector to either decline or pay their way if they accept: at least in the U.S. those are rules the FDA expects their inspectors to follow).

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

We do not provide meal when government inspector visit us (just mineral water). Third party auditor from foreign country usually asking for transportation from hotel to plant and lunch at office during audit

Jus'me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

Usually when a third party auditor comes in the first thing we do as they are setting up is offer them a drink, coffee, water or soda,(nothing alcoholic, though it could make the audit a bit easier if we did :rofl2: ).  If we happen to have snacks available such as donuts or bagels, we also offer them one.  We provide them lunch as well. I think for most auditors this is somewaht expected and an unwritten "rule" and really is nothing more than a little show of hospitality.  Don't think too many people would consider a cup of coffee and a local fast-food lunch would be a gratuity that could sway an auditor, but if an auditor is that easily "bought off" then they are definitely a "cheap date" and wouldn't be auditing for long.  The auditor can always decline the offer if they feel it will compromise their objectivity, so as I said by offering it is just a courtesy. 

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

We order in some sandwiches or salads for our third party auditors.  We have a wonderful little sandwich shop in town, so it's not just a Big Mac, but it is not a gourmet meal.  We show them a menu and let them select.  We have water and coffee available, and have bagels/sweets in the mornings.

When I worked in an industry that had government site visits (different term for an audit), we knew that we were not allowed to provide a meal for them. 

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

In one plant I was in there was lovely sandwich shop and bakery near our plant.  We always had lovely goodies for the customer and 3rd party audits.  This place made the best whoopee pies.  Always got great scores. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Carol88

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:17 PM

Are there any regulations concerning the treatment of third party Auditors? I came from the Drug industry to Food and it was Taboo to offer food, drink (other than water) to auditors, as it was considered a form of potential influence. Just wondering if its the same for the food industry.

I am in the food industry and we have always supplied lunch, morning & afternoon tea and coffee/tea/juice/water. I even ring them to make sure that they have no issues with the food I am going to supply. Its a thing that us Aussies just do. I have never thought of it as wrong or a bribe. I will even talk to them as if they are not an auditor. If an auditor is easily bribed with food or a chat then maybe they are in the wrong position. At the end of the day if our company is doing something wrong then we need to face it and fix it. Cheers Carol88 

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

If an auditor is easily bribed with food or a chat then maybe they are in the wrong position. 

Absolutely!

I have never met an auditor that would change a decision in your favour just because they had a nice sandwich.

(However I have met a few that ( I reckon) would be very grouchy & picky in the afternoon session if they were hungry-so I would always at least make the offer!

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

Totally agree with Jus'me.

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

I prefer not to offer a cup of coffee after lunch break as it will give fresh energy and concentration to ask many questions. A bottle of mineral water would be fine

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

I prefer not to offer a cup of coffee after lunch break as it will give fresh energy and concentration to ask many questions. A bottle of mineral water would be fine

LOL! :roflmao:  :roflmao:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Fair Play! I'm going to try that one myself!

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

HA!

If it's going really badly, tap with a hint of GHB,

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

Genius!  :spoton:

-Setanta         

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

HA!

If it's going really badly, tap with a hint of GHB,

Of maybe a cup of Chamomile tea?

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Yep agree...that is Genius.   No caffeinated soft drinks either! 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Premananda Singh

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Movies, Surfing

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

I dont think such offer is a taboo. But some companies have their own set of rules, which prohibits from offering anything.

Regards

Premananda Singh

+91-8811025586

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users