• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hi all, 

Can anyone help me, I am looking for an internal audit schedule based on a risk assessment for a 12 month period against the BRC std. 

Does anyone know or have an example of this. I think the BRC require all of the fundamental clauses to be audited twice per year and the remaining only once, but how do they come to this conclusion. 

Thank you in advance. 

Tom. 

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hi Tom, attached is a risk assessment and a sample Audit schedule. BRC require each section to be audited at least annually but some sections you will do more often.

Attached Files

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 8 Members:

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hello Tom!!

We also use BRC as our GFSI Benchmark, I've attached a starting Risk Scale Tool and Sample Assessment (Each has a tab on the document) and also the corresponding schedule for the sample assessment that was completed. 

Everything is in Excel so you can mix and match as you like. The important thing for us is that sometimes the frequency that we found on the risk assessment does not match our operation - so i added a column to what our actual frequency of auditing is and the reason for the deviation.

I dont know anywhere where it says that each fundamental has to be audited twice per year (I know everything has to be at least annually) and I just had my audit the last week in Sept and we got an A with this - so hopefully it will work for you too!!

Hope this helps!

Attached Files

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

Dear It-rains-inside,

I liked yr layout concept but  i don’t understand some of the data entries ?

For example, what is the meaning of  N/A ?  IMEX an audit of the appropriate implementation of Corrective Actions is regarded as a critical factor in an audit. Yr default(?)  frequency (annual) seems to imply that it is considered to have no appreciable significance. And similarly some other items labelled as N/A. Perhaps i have misunderstood the N/A ?

I noticed that the Severity of “HACCP Validation” is equated to a "Product Recall",  surely this is an underestimation in the context of  a  (health-oriented)  FS system ? (I suggest that this kind of, IMO, defect is promoted by BRC's attempt to expand the standard scope as per  SQF level 3)

and similarly Raw Material Reception ?

and similarly Sanitation ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - i guess the data may also relate to yr product risk potential , whole potato packing ? :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

It_Rains_Inside,

In your internal audit schedule what do you mean by Zone 1, Zone 2...?

Thanked by 1 Member:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hi Tom, attached is a risk assessment and a sample Audit schedule. BRC require each section to be audited at least annually but some sections you will do more often.

Does anyone know if there is one like this or has one like this for SQF? Trubertq layout is very easy to read.

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone know if there is one like this or has one like this for SQF? Trubertq layout is very easy to read.

You can adjust this template to suit whichever standard you are working with , and indeed, combine 2 or 3 standards on it.

I'd just like to add, this audit schedule and risk assessment has been through 4 BRC audits and this company has grade A with 5 NC s on the last audit  :rock:

I'm not proud....... or tiring.......

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tom draper

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback - Im on the pigs back now. 

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hi everyone,

So here is some clarification - Zone 1 is all open product processing areas for our plant, Zone 2 would be enclosed product processing, and Zone 3 is warehousing and auxiliary areas - Our entire facility is considered low risk by BRC's definition  but we needed a way to further define our areas of concern and the risk associated with each one. All are "Low Risk" but with different risks to the product.

(to Charles - not whole potato packing, but aseptic, high acid; low pH fruit juices - not to brag but we really only deal with food spoilage / food quality issues just based on the nature of our operation, other pathogens / hazards wont survive in our products naturally. This is why "product recall" was the severity level chosen) 

On the risk assessment, N/A is "not applicable" on the major programs, and you are correct, the reason that these were not scored is because they are done by default annually, or anytime that there are changes to the scope of the programs.

While we are performing monitoring activities throughout the year for all areas, formal internal audits that compare our systems to the standards are only performed at the frequency listed. We monitor raw material inspections every week, but only audit the program 2x per year. 

Hopefully this clears some things up!

Edited by it_rains_inside, 20 October 2014 - 01:51 PM.

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Dear It-rains-inside,

Thks for the additional info.

I presume this is some kind of pasteurized, ambient shelf-stable product which complies with the Juice Regulations.

If otherwise, experience/USFDA seems to indicate that hazards would  not be a negligible factor for ""untreated" fruit juices, even those of low pH.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - it's intriguing that i noticed  a comment that unpasteurized fruit juice is considered low risk in UK, and it's apparently not required to be labelled as such in Canada also (at least in 2013). This RA discusses the hazards -

Attached File  risk assessment unpasteurized fruit juices.pdf   1.61MB   623 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

Charles,

Pasteurized, and ambient / shelf stable. (And also, not 100% juices - these are regulated by FDA under juice HACCP, aseptic products are currently exempt)

Thanks

Rains

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

Lena Scott

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:35 AM

Hi trubertq,

Stumbled upon this post and what you shared is exactly what I needed. Could you please share your definition of LIKELIHOOD and CONSEQUENCE? 

Thanks!

Lena

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hi Lena,

The definitions are on the second page,along with the scores or do you mean;

Liklihood = Probability, The liklihood of there being a problem or issue with the section of the standard

Consequence = Severity, the consequence of the problem, what are the likely outcomes of having a problem arise.

Thanked by 1 Member:

fstRicky

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

it_rains_inside

This point is very interesting and I like it, but I have a question...

"While we are performing monitoring activities throughout the year for all areas, [/size]formal internal audits that compare our systems to the standards are only performed at the frequency listed. [/size]"

​In my case some of our activities are monitored/checked/audited daily. Not sure why one would Audit against a standard more than once a year? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

it_rains_inside

This point is very interesting and I like it, but I have a question...

"While we are performing monitoring activities throughout the year for all areas, [/size]formal internal audits that compare our systems to the standards are only performed at the frequency listed. [/size]"

​In my case some of our activities are monitored/checked/audited daily. Not sure why one would Audit against a standard more than once a year? 

Hi refst,

You may get an answer but do note that you are querying a 3-year old thread.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

Thank you for sharing this! After some minor adapting issues it work excellent for us.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users