• 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

...the mouse must have been anaemic!  :roflmao:

Mike

Mr. I will need to look at his calculations and take that into account.   :shades: :giggle:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:06 PM

Well the obvious way to find out is to put a mouse in one of your packages and run him through right? :roflmao:

I'm not sure how much iron is in mouse blood... I'm guessing it's possible, like previous posters said, that their blood might set it off... or if they ate something metal. I've never heard of something like this but maybe someone else has.

Backing this all up, since the iron in blood is not elemental, but bound onto a huge organic molecule, it would not be magnetic or conduct electricity to any extent.  If hemoglobin is enough to set off a metal detector, then you would not be able to use one to test liver which has a huge amount of hemoglobin in the tissue.  :yikes:

So...unless the mouse has his car keys or fillings, I think it would not set off a pure metal detector.

Next..................

Edited by MWidra, 23 October 2014 - 04:09 PM.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

"Dammit MWidra I'm a Quality Manager not a Doctor!!!"

hahahaha :roflmao:

(In case anyone doesn't know that's a joke... from Star Trek... the doctor... McCoy...)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Thnx-I am ashamed to admit that Mr I's nerdom far surpassed mine in this particular instance (well done sir!) ...but I will endevour to ensure it never happens again!

I have learned something new though- and that is the average blood volume of a mouse!-(I have to say it looks a lot more than 1.5ml .......when you guillotine them!)

Mike

As someone who has killed a lot of mice while I was in research labs, the rule of thumb is that you can assume that 10% of an animal's body weight (grams in ml; pounds in pints) is blood, but that you will only get about 50% of that out.  I never got more than 1 ml out of a 20g mouse.

As an aside even more off topic, they got their revenge.  I'm now highly allergic to all the laboratory animals.  :off_topic:

Mike, where did you perform your dastardly deeds on mice?

Martha

Edited by MWidra, 23 October 2014 - 04:21 PM.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

As someone who has killed a lot of mice while I was in research labs, the rule of thumb is that you can assume that 10% of an animal's body weight (grams in ml; pounds in pints) is blood, but that you will only get about 50% of that out.  I never got more than 1 ml out of a 20g mouse.

As an aside even more off topic, they got their revenge.  I'm now highly allergic to all the laboratory animals.  :off_topic:

Cool stuff!

I did see that in one of the articles I read while doing the math... but seeing as we were looking at if it could happen I counted all of their approximate blood :lol2:

That sucks your allergic to them now.  Just ones used in labs or all animals?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

Cool stuff!

I did see that in one of the articles I read while doing the math... but seeing as we were looking at if it could happen I counted all of their approximate blood :lol2:

That sucks your allergic to them now.  Just ones used in labs or all animals?

Mice, rats (they cross-react with mice), guinea pigs, rabbits and hamsters.  I am cautious putting my hand into areas that may be mice infested, so I don't get bitten.  Not wanting a trip to the ER with anaphylaxis.

I have owned horses, dogs, cats and other assorted animals, but only got allergic in the higher concentrations of dander you encounter in the laboratory setting.

Martha

Edited by MWidra, 23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

Mike, where did you perform your dastardly deeds on mice?

Martha

Hi Martha

....  University School of Medicine ! -(many many years ago)- sometimes it was mice, usually hamsters.....always a bit messy!

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

I was a volunteer at our area Raptor Center and we used the Controls in lab experiments to feed the the various hawks,eagles, owls, etc. No one wanted to cut the little frozen mice, so I did.  I said I was the 'sous chef' for the Raptor Center.  :sleazy:

-Setanta         

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

I was a volunteer at our area Raptor Center and we used the Controls in lab experiments to feed the the various hawks,eagles, owls, etc. No one wanted to cut the little frozen mice, so I did.  I said I was the 'sous chef' for the Raptor Center.  :sleazy:

Recycling Mice !!!! -excelent!,,,, its a lot more pleasant when they are dead & frozen!

- I have a pair of Indian  (Bengal) Eagle Owls & an African Eagle Owl -they are fully grown now so tend to swallow everything whole- but I  have regularly raised  owl chicks 'from the egg'- so well used to chopping the mice!

Mike    

( :off_topic:-sorry!)

Edited by Mike Green, 23 October 2014 - 07:04 PM.

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

I actual did run the experiment- caught one on a glue board and  put it in bag and ran it thru 3 different detectors of different apertures and sensitivities

the metal didn't even bleep. .. the poor guy suffocated in the plastic ( don't call the SPCA Please)  and I did run it when it was dead too and same thing .. no reaction whatsoever

the mouse had a body of 7.5cm and a tail of 7.5cm

so  most of you were right there is insufficient iron in the mouse`s system to set off a metal detector.

A vu in time , saves nine

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

Lmao! Next experiment to be carried out on a feral cat?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

"Dammit MWidra I'm a Quality Manager not a Doctor!!!"

hahahaha :roflmao:

(In case anyone doesn't know that's a joke... from Star Trek... the doctor... McCoy...)

Your taste in jokes has improved!

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

I actual did run the experiment- caught one on a glue board and  put it in bag and ran it thru 3 different detectors of different apertures and sensitivities

the metal didn't even bleep. .. the poor guy suffocated in the plastic ( don't call the SPCA Please)  and I did run it when it was dead too and same thing .. no reaction whatsoever

the mouse had a body of 7.5cm and a tail of 7.5cm

so  most of you were right there is insufficient iron in the mouse`s system to set off a metal detector.

Lmao! Next experiment to be carried out on a feral cat?????

Ha  ha  - - I was actually wondering if there was enough iron in a UK Prime Minister to set off a metal detector?- I think rather than doing the desk research-we should proceed directly to the experiment ( Dr Vu....i have a large plastic sack at the ready!)-lol

Mike

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

Ha  ha  - - I was actually wondering if there was enough iron in a UK Prime Minister to set off a metal detector?- I think rather than doing the desk research-we should proceed directly to the experiment ( Dr Vu....i have a large plastic sack at the ready!)-lol

Mike

We have a rather large amount of congressmen, senators as well as number of other assorted politicians we could contribute to the interests of science and society. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

Mike

We have a rather large amount of congressmen, senators as well as number of other assorted politicians we could contribute to the interests of science and society. 

Indeed. However this is a topic about metal detectors and metal inclusion, not rectal-cranial inclusion. That would be a topic for gas chromatography analysis?  :shades:

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

Should be more an anatomical question I would have thought as in do they have any balls (apart from Ed that is, and his are more luck than judgement!!!)?

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

Indeed. However this is a topic about metal detectors and metal inclusion, not rectal-cranial inclusion. That would be a topic for gas chromatography analysis?  :shades:

:roflmao:  :roflmao: :rofl2:  Oh myyyyy..... 

Should be more an anatomical question I would have thought as in do they have any balls (apart from Ed that is, and his are more luck than judgement!!!)?

Many of ours have brass balls, which would be great for the detector project, sadly they are mostly used for very bad, selfish judgments.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Wowzers... we have certainly strayed a bit :off_topic: from if mice would be detected in a metal detector to running through politicians...

But I'd certainly have a list!

Mr. Incognito

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

I Bet Jaws from the James Bond Films would set one off!

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

On another note, i've been known to set the airport thingies off....must be the scaffolding! :mwah:

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

Wowzers... we have certainly strayed a bit :off_topic: from if mice would be detected in a metal detector to running through politicians...

....sorry I thought we were still pretty much on topic........being as they are both basically unwanted pests that we need to eradicate!- ha ha!

Mike

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

....sorry I thought we were still pretty much on topic........being as they are both basically unwanted pests that we need to eradicate!- ha ha!

Mike

Of course we are.  Don't we all have IPM systems?  Doesn't that stand for Integrated Politician Management?

Martha

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

On another note, i've been known to set the airport thingies off....must be the scaffolding! :mwah:

Ha, ha!  :cheezy:

-Setanta         

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

Me too!  Actually even the new scanners don't like me.....I hate going to commercial airports.....I need my own airplane.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Of course we are.  Don't we all have IPM systems?  Doesn't that stand for Integrated Politician Management?

Martha

We need better ones....the politicians we have are not being managed well enough!! 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users