• Quick Navigation
Photo

Please explain the difference between Legislation and Regulation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Premananda Singh

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Movies, Surfing

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

Dear All,

I have some confusion between Regulation and Legislation. Can anyone explain me? 

Regards

Premananda Singh

+91-8811025586

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

In the United States legislation is laws passed through congress and signed by the president. 

Regulation is something put out by a regulatory body that is not passed through congress directly.  For instance the PMO I believe is a regulation because the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance was put out by the FDA. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Premananda Singh

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

One of my colleague also informed me that Legislation is an Act/Law whereas Regulation is controlled by the Regulatory body.Food safety license comes under Regulation and Food Safety Modernization Act, Section 305 comes under Legislation.

Regards

Premananda Singh

+91-8811025586

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

In the United States legislation is laws passed through congress and signed by the president. 

Regulation is something put out by a regulatory body that is not passed through congress directly.  For instance the PMO I believe is a regulation because the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance was put out by the FDA. 

Notionally at least (in the UK)...

Legislation refers to a Law passed by parliament which tends to be general & overarching in nature eg Food Safety Act 1990

Regulations are generally the 'finer detail' that set out what a company (or individual ) needs to actually do to comply with the various Acts  eg The Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013, (confusingly in the UK these can also be laid before parliament)

IMEX  (in the UK ) .... the word 'Legislation' is often used to describe anything that has been approved by parliament (whether an Act or Regulation!)

eg from Guidance on Temperature Control

Legislation in the United Kingdom
This document gives guidance on the temperature control requirements found in 
the following hygiene legislation
• EC Regulation 852/20041
• The Food Hygiene Regulations 2006 (as amended)

Reading that back-I'm not sure it has helped at all (sorry!)

Mike

Edited by Mike Green, 17 October 2014 - 07:16 PM.

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:39 AM

In my country, legislation is a product of representative council (parliament in UK) which the draft is proposed by government. The legislation will be used as a legal base for issuing regulation by government

MCIAN

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 100 posts
  • 41 thanks
Good

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:Law of attraction & Meditation

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

Generally, the legislation (or law) takes precedence. Here, once a legislation is passed, the affected national regulatory agency comes up with the so called IRR (Implementing Rules and Regulations) which describes in detail how the law is going to be implemented. These IRRs' should be totally aligned with the law, not the other way around.

Regards to all.

:cool:

• RG3 likes this

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

One of my colleague also informed me that Legislation is an Act/Law whereas Regulation is controlled by the Regulatory body.Food safety license comes under Regulation and Food Safety Modernization Act, Section 305 comes under Legislation.

Yes FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) is legislation because it was voted on by the United States Congress and signed by the president.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

Yes FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) is legislation because it was voted on by the United States Congress and signed by the president.

Correct.  The "rules" that the FDA will enforce on the authority or mandate of that act will be regulations.  Legislation tends to set up the basic goals for an administrative agency (the enabling legislation), and the agency then promulgates the regulations in harmony with the goals that the legislature set in the statute (what laws passed by legislatures are called).  All this is from US law, which of course may be different from that in other countries.

Statutes/legislation are usually more broad in their language and the regulations are more nuts and bolts.

Edited by MWidra, 20 October 2014 - 09:08 PM.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 1 Member:
RG3

Premananda Singh

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

Thank you all for your valuable comments............

Regards

Premananda Singh

+91-8811025586

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users