Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Please help me understand Non-Conformance vs Non-Compliant vs Corrective Action. 

I work in cold/frozen storage.  We do not make anything.  We receive, store, and ship.  The process in place is to write everything as an NCR (2.4.6) non-conformance.  In my opinion, if SOPs are not followed, or the schedule is not followed, or the place is dirty, it should be a Corrective Action Request (2.5.5).  Am I completely off base?

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

Dear suzieq,

I have no idea what 2.4.6 and 2.5.5 are ?

I presume the context is haccp. I really, really hope you have a haccp plan. :smile:

(1) non-conformance = (1) non-compliance (nouns)

(1 item) non-compliant = (1 item) non-conformant (if it exists) (adjectives)

Corrective Action - (haccp Critical Limit Failure))

(See the haccp plan/critical limits) > If yr HACCP plan says a deviation outside the CL requires a corrective action, then  the deviation/corrective action is  specified/documented in a NUOCA* Form. If it doesn't say a corrective action is required, then complain to the HACCP Plan designer.

Corrective Action (Any other Significant Deviation related to the HACCP plan)

Use a Corrective Action Form and specify/document the deviation/corrective action similarly, eg failure of HACCP Prerequisite No.XYZ

*NUOCA = Notice of Unusual Occurrence and Corrective Action

Plus there should be a section for a Root Cause explanation on the form(s) if required.

Other people will have different preferences. There's no absolute method AFAIK

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - I suspect a NCR is a Non-conformance Report

PPS - just noticed a little SQF tag at the top. Maybe try the Glosssary.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

I would think that a Non-conformance Report describes the item that is not in compliance, and the corrective action report details why it happened and what you are going to do about it.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Suzie B

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

I apologize for the confusion.  First let me say, yes we have a HACCP plan.  I am talking about the difference between SQF Code section 2.4.6 Non-Conforming Product and 2.5.5 Corrective Action Request.  We have several locations, and the interpretation is different between the SQF Practitioners.  I always refer to the code when I have a question, however, I interpret it differently than my counterpart.  In my opinion, 2.4.6 refers to product, including raw materials or equipment used in production, which we do not do.  2.5.5 refers to process that does not comply with the standard.  When I started doing my research, I just got confused in all the definitions.

NCR (Non-Conformance vs Non-Compliance)

CAR (Corrective Action Request vs Corrective Action Report)

PAR (Preventive Action Request vs Preventive Action Report)

CAP (Corrective Action Plan)

In most cases, they are used interchangeably. 

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

Non conforming product can also to box in, box out.  If you get a box of something and there is an obvious problem such as it is rotten or leaking, you're not going to sent that on.  That would be a non-conforming product.  If your shipping department sent to a customer that would be a non-conformance which should be investigated and resolved.  A CAR whether a request or a report defines what happened, how it happened, what is the root cause and how it was fixed and how it will be prevented from happening in the future. 

All of the terms above can be used interchangeably, some are not interchangeable others may not apply depending on how your system is set up and how it is designed to work.  In most of the plants I have been in we haven't used a PAR, that information was on the CAP or on the CAR. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

The white paper about this on Safefood360's web site is well written and addresses this issue.  You have to give them your contact information, I guess so they can send you product information, but the White Paper is free.

http://safefood360.c...es/whitepapers/

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users