Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

Quick question for anyone that does injection molding and extrusion. Does any purchase or mix a purging compound to clean out the screws/barrels? If so, would you mind sharing any information.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

I used to work at a place where we injection molded optical plastic for DVDs.  We didn't use anything to clean the barrels for purge we just heated up the barrel and then purged the hell out of it... purge being just shooting loads of plastic shot through it.  We'd purge enough so that the plastic looked how it was supposed to look when it was coming out (otherwise it would be like milky white and bubbly).  Once it was flowing good we were ready to rock.

It wasn't food but the temp of the barrel was pretty high so I guess I'm not sure if that's a perfect answer for you but it was injection molding.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users