Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

My question concerns flyproofing of external doors. 

The code reads "dock doors in pet food handling areas".  

If I have 2 dock doors at the very end of the building in the maintenance department, not anywhere near the pet food handling area, do those doors need to meet the criteria?

The doors currently have no flyscreesn and is not self closing. Its your standard manual open, manual close door. 

Sometimes one is open for maintenance tasks and ventilation purposes.

Its low risk for pests due to our pest control program and we are low risk pet ingestibles manufacturer.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Sharon

CJN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hello Sharon,

If it's in the budget I would recommend that you add an air curtain. It will activate when the doors are opened. They are made for man doors and overhead doors.

Another option is a screen type door behind it. They make these for both man doors and overhead doors. This is only recommended if the door being left open for ventilation is absolutely necessary.

If it's simply a situation where the door is open and closed occasionally I would call the area an Air Lock and then have your pest control service put a bug light in the maintenance area. That way you can monitor and trend the presence of bugs in the area.

Also, always throw together a risk assessment showing that you've thought through this issue and you believe you have it under control. Something to show the auditor.

I hope this helped!

Best regards,

CJN

SQF Practitioner

• RG3 likes this

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users