Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

we are fresh tuna manufacturers and do we need to indicate histamine as allergen in label

Jelena C

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:48 PM

It is preferably to write something like: "Histamine susceptible fish"

Thanked by 1 Member:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

Sama,

It depends if Sri Lanka (Origin) considers Histamine an allergen and/or it depends if the person you are transporting(DC)/exporting(country) it to considers Histamine as an allergen. If either A or B are true then you MUST label Histamine as an allergen.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

(Added later)

Apologies- I have just realised that the OP was asking an allergen question! (i should read properley before posting!!)

Histamine is not an allergen it is a toxin that causes allergen like symptoms-the difference is that elevated levels of histamine will affect everyone rather than just 'sensitive individuals'-therefore the answer to should histamine be included in allergen labelling is no!

As far as I am aware all tuna bound for the EU must be tested for histamine -- for example....see document  from Irish Fisheries Board

I am guessing that the limits that they have chosen would represent a 'safe level' (ie less than 100-200ppm) of histamine..... and if it is exceeded-then it wouldn't be allowed anyway?

Nine samples to be taken, of which: 

the average histamine content must be 
100mg/kg or less; 
no more than 2 samples may have levels 
between 100mg and 200mg/kg; and 
no sample may have a level above 
200mg/kg. 

Kind Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike Green, 03 November 2014 - 06:10 PM.

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

If I remember my fishery stuff and that is a big IF,  as I recall histamine is part of the death process and bacteria.  So the temperature has to be controlled immediately and thereafter so the bacteria that aids in the histamine process is not present. So if histamine is present, it means the fish has been subjected to temperature abuse. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

If I remember my fishery stuff and that is a big IF,  as I recall histamine is part of the death process and bacteria.  So the temperature has to be controlled immediately and thereafter so the bacteria that aids in the histamine process is not present. So if histamine is present, it means the fish has been subjected to temperature abuse. 

You're absolutely right Snookie.... the presence of histamine is as much an indication of freshness as it is anything else.

I'll need to do a bit of research about the labelling with my pelagic clients and come back to you Sama.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

sama

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:54 AM

(Added later)

Apologies- I have just realised that the OP was asking an allergen question! (i should read properley before posting!!)

Histamine is not an allergen it is a toxin that causes allergen like symptoms-the difference is that elevated levels of histamine will affect everyone rather than just 'sensitive individuals'-therefore the answer to should histamine be included in allergen labelling is no!

As far as I am aware all tuna bound for the EU must be tested for histamine -- for example....see document  from Irish Fisheries Board

I am guessing that the limits that they have chosen would represent a 'safe level' (ie less than 100-200ppm) of histamine..... and if it is exceeded-then it wouldn't be allowed anyway?

Kind Regards

Mike

Thank you very much.It realy helps me.....

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:07 AM

Please refer to http://www.fda.gov/d.../UCM251970.pdf chapter 7, related to Scombrotoxin (histamine)

We have to declare Fish (not histamine) in label as some consumer may have hypersensitivity to fish ( http://www.kidswithf...espre.php?id=50 )

Edited by avila muncar, 04 November 2014 - 06:24 AM.

denszabo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

Histamine is not an allergen and therefore it should not be declared on the label. you can find a list of allergens which, according to EU 1169/2011 must be declared on Annex II of the regulation.

http://eur-lex.europ...11R1169&from=EN

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

Histamine is not an allergen and therefore it should not be declared on the label. you can find a list of allergens which, according to EU 1169/2011 must be declared on Annex II of the regulation.

http://eur-lex.europ...11R1169&from=EN

:welcome:   Welcome to the forum. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users