• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are mock recalls plant specific or company specific?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

PetBone

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

Quick question, are mock recalls plant specific or company specific?

If a company has production occurring in 2 separate buildings, does a mock recall need to happen for each plant? Currently both locations are operating under the same HACCP plan (meaning same products are being produced and the process flow is the same).

Edited by PetBone, 10 November 2014 - 09:43 PM.

Ted S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

A mock recall is intended to validate that your Lot Tracking/Finished Product Trace "process" is working as expected. If the same "system" is used to manage the production for both facilities (incoming lot tracking, ingredient usage, finished good creation) then one mock recall should be adequate. If on the other hand two different "systems" are used for the production activities in each facility, then yes, one mock recall for each location is required.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:58 AM

I would respectfully disagree. From an auditor stand point: your systems may be the same on paper, but how can you prove that your people are following the systems you have in place and that the system is actually working from one plant to the next without testing it?

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

I would say both sites; so that you can demonstrate, regardless of being same system, that it works at both sites.

Caz x

PetBone

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

I would respectfully disagree. From an auditor stand point: your systems may be the same on paper, but how can you prove that your people are following the systems you have in place and that the system is actually working from one plant to the next without testing it?

This is a valid point for sure. Would your answer change if the same people were responsible for both sites? So essentially the process would be the same, the team members would be the same its just the product is coming in/out of a different building.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

Nope!

I would still say they should be separate!

Take this scenario; I get supplied by a number of different sites from one of my suppliers; they have a common product recall strategy, with input from their group technical. I have conducted traceability exercise (not quite the same, but as close as dammit) with all of the sites involved, with different results. Some could not complete with the pertinent information in the 4 hour time scale allocated (not always the most generous time scale admittedly) but to have one of their TM's ask me what information I needed sounds alarm bells, especially when 2/3's of the way through the exercise. I insist that we do a traceability with all sites, even when the group TM is off, because not all recalls happen when the group TM is on site!

I get the same product from all of these sites.

Caz x

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

I agree with cazyncymru, you should run a mock test from both facilities because even if it is the same operation under the same HACCP Plan you have different people working and people do make a difference.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users