Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

So I am curious to know what everyone does in regards to requiring or not requiring hair nets and or beard etc in the warehouse functions of the plant? What is your reasoning for whatever side of the fence you fall on.

This is a current debate at our plant and I have my personal opinion but I am curious as to what standards of practice there are out there for others. 

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

We require them in the warehouse.  The appearance of the product as it arrives at the customer's location is part of the quality program, so not having hair and beard whiskers in the pallet shrink wrap is important to us.

Obviously, keeping hair and beard whiskers out of the raw materials is important as well.

Our associate who is in charge of our food grade warehouse takes immense pride in HIS warehouse.  You could eat off the floor in there.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 1 Member:

PetBone

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

We require them in the warehouse.  The appearance of the product as it arrives at the customer's location is part of the quality program, so not having hair and beard whiskers in the pallet shrink wrap is important to us.

Obviously, keeping hair and beard whiskers out of the raw materials is important as well.

Our associate who is in charge of our food grade warehouse takes immense pride in HIS warehouse.  You could eat off the floor in there.

Martha

Thank you Martha! That is how I feel as well.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

I also think that hairnets/beard nets is a plant wide GMP rule. It's all about creating a culture more so than basing this one on a risk analysis. The people need to understand that they are dealing with food and its not just any other warehouse job. Changing the culture of the plant is the hardest task for a QA person to interject when creating a food safety/quality system.

Seeing hairnets plant wide is also easy on the eyes for any customer/regulatory/3rd party auditor. It shows that you take food safety/foreign material serious no matter what stage your raw material/finished product is at.

Thanked by 1 Member:

PetBone

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

I also think that hairnets/beard nets is a plant wide GMP rule. It's all about creating a culture more so than basing this one on a risk analysis. The people need to understand that they are dealing with food and its not just any other warehouse job. Changing the culture of the plant is the hardest task for a QA person to interject when creating a food safety/quality system.

Seeing hairnets plant wide is also easy on the eyes for any customer/regulatory/3rd party auditor. It shows that you take food safety/foreign material serious no matter what stage your raw material/finished product is at.

Great! I really like your response. I was having a hard time defending my stance on the "why" I felt it should be the same and you guys have helped me with that!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

Dear All,

FWIW here is the US Food Code (2009) -

Attached File  hair restraints.png   93.22KB   12 downloads

Here is Tesco Food Standard (UK)  (2012) -

Attached File  hair restraints (2).png   32.35KB   9 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Taste Maker

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

If you are referring to finished goods, it is not necessary by rule. However,It does not hurt a thing to go beyond the requirements and I personally wear one at all times even though it is not company policy in that situation. That is, the truck driver and the lumper service probably will not be wearing one. I believe the film or barrier should be considered for the product in question in order to safely store and ship a product. A hair on top of a box or bag may be the least of your concerns in the life of a product. I would be sure to evaluate the HACCP plan and my complaint log as to the number of issues related to hair on a box or bag to assure my customers safety for all possible contamination and not just a hair or two.

Sharon

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:01 AM

The only issue I would see if you implement the policy in your warehouse is that the auditor will comment that it is not necessary which if you are struggling to get people to wear them will undermine your other requests that are actually necessary.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mohammed Ashmawy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

i think should be risk assessment based, historical events related to this issue 

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

A slight aside to this discussion... I was doing Food safety training today with a gang and they wanted to know why beard hair was more of a problem that eyebrow hair... I was at a loss to answer except for the fact I'd never heard of eyebrow hair being a problem and that we could equip them with balaclavas if they wished.... I'd like to know the answer though.... for next time.

They also had a issue with all outer clothing being covered with PPE ( they wear boiler suits....I hate boiler suits.. I may have put them off boiler suits by the time we had finished discussing the mechanics of going to the toilet with a boiler suit on). It's a cold plant and they're processing fish they want to wear body warmers... always with the I want...I want.... I suggested getting coats to wear over the body warmer which is over the boiler suit and then at least the coat can be removed before visiting the toilet...and then we got back onto the vagaries of going to the toilet in a boiler suit.....in ever decreasing circles

Any thoughts bearing in mind these guys are buying their own PPE

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

Quite frankly I don't think is less of an issue than a beard, although usually there is less hair in an eyebrow (or at least for most people).  I have seen some high risk plants use the full face coverage with just an opening for eyes and a rather small opening so eyebrows were covered.    If we are dealing with wants......I want a vacation......

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Hazira

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:53 AM

If you are referring to finished goods, it is not necessary by rule. However,It does not hurt a thing to go beyond the requirements and I personally wear one at all times even though it is not company policy in that situation. That is, the truck driver and the lumper service probably will not be wearing one. I believe the film or barrier should be considered for the product in question in order to safely store and ship a product. A hair on top of a box or bag may be the least of your concerns in the life of a product. I would be sure to evaluate the HACCP plan and my complaint log as to the number of issues related to hair on a box or bag to assure my customers safety for all possible contamination and not just a hair or two.

I agree with Mr. Taste Maker,

In our warehouse, those who work in the finished goods area is not required to wear hairnet, but those in raw material/mixing need to wear them. 

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

A slight aside to this discussion... I was doing Food safety training today with a gang and they wanted to know why beard hair was more of a problem that eyebrow hair... I was at a loss to answer except for the fact I'd never heard of eyebrow hair being a problem and that we could equip them with balaclavas if they wished.... I'd like to know the answer though.... for next time.

Balaclavas?   I prefer this to control unruly eyebrows , or mandating Divine style eyebrows for all employees.   When was the last time you paid a stranger to pluck your beard?

Agreed with Snookie, they aren't less likely to fall out (same with arm hair), however, they are less likely to be

• Long & found by a customer
  • Caked in food
  • Caught in machinery

c98f9112f1ba2fc1472d5e3d06162548.jpg

Edited by magenta_majors, 04 March 2015 - 11:18 AM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Magenta, as ever the purveyor of common sense and practical solutions!! I shall include this picture in my presentation for the next eyebrow questioner. On another note, a colleague was telling me that in a facility in China they apply rubber ( ?) bands around the sleeves of the PPE to prevent arm hair falling into the food. Mind you in this facility the standards were so high they had a person who clipped your nails before you entered the production area... we can only dream......

3 minutes later......

you're all going to tell me you do this already....... :headhurts:

Edited by trubertq, 04 March 2015 - 12:20 PM.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

We have disposable sleeves...  They aren't metal detectable though 12-220-2T.jpg?1422871659

Edited by magenta_majors, 04 March 2015 - 01:24 PM.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

Our smock sleeves are long (it is cool in our production areas) and have an elastic cuff. 

-Setanta         

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

This company uses sleeves too, but whatever they are doing in China is just better....in every way.......

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

This company uses sleeves too, but whatever they are doing in China is just better....in every way.......

They don't even pluck, man.  They THREAD. 

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

They also earn $200 a month.....

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

At our plant finished goods warehouse they do not require hair nets, we are a canning facility.  However they are required to wear them in the ingredient warehouse.  

Klwarren

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

Thank you to PetBone for starting this convo... this has been an ongoing debate in our facility.  Eyebrows, nose hair, chest hair all got drug into the mix.  I am glad I am not the only person out there that deals with this.  If it is any consequence, we ended up making hairnets, beardnets a company wide GMP requirement.  Thanks again for all the information

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users