MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

I attended a webinar today run by SGS on BRC Issue 7, and the statement was made by a presenter from the BRC that starting in January with Issue 7, the standards will be free to download. 

We are still considering which GFSI scheme to adopt, so this will help out and save the cost of buying it to consider using it.  :thumbup:

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 4 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

BRC stands alone as 'paid for' standards amongst GFSI standards such as SQF, FSSC, IFS etc.

With all standards vying for growth then it can be a simple deal breaker; it had to come.

BRC have sold a lot of standards over the years and at £90/$140 a go that's millions.

They will have to recoup it some other way...probablty through fees.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Martha.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

BRC stands alone as 'paid for' standards amongst GFSI standards such as SQF, FSSC, IFS etc.

With all standards vying for growth then it can be a simple deal breaker; it had to come.

BRC have sold a lot of standards over the years and at £90/$140 a go that's millions.

They will have to recoup it some other way...probablty through fees.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Martha.

I think that the FSSC only tell you which ISO standards you have to use, but you have to buy the standards from ISO.  Maybe a little kickback there?

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

I think that the FSSC only tell you which ISO standards you have to use, but you have to buy the standards from ISO.  Maybe a little kickback there?

Martha

Perhaps a little OT, but for some reason Ethiopian Standards are identical to ISO standards (22000, 22006, 14000, etc)  and freely and legally available online, including the Ethiopian Standard 22000:2005  (https://law.resource.org/pub/et/ibr/)  - I like that they all start with this bit regarding free standards :

"In order to promote public education and public safety, equal justice for all, a better informed citizenry, the rule of law, world trade, and world peace, this legal document is hereby made available on a non commerical basis, as it is the rights of all humans to know and speak the laws that govern them."

Maybe BRC got that message.    I've been using their "DRAFT" v  7 standard.  It has "DRAFT" watermarked on it, but it's better than nothing.  Can't wait to be using an "official" copy.

Edited by magenta_majors, 11 November 2014 - 09:26 PM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

whiskylass

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

The standard will only be free to download if you sign up for BRC Participate.  This is going to cost £95 per year for a subscription so technically you are paying for the standard but you are also able to download the guidance doc and a few others.  I'm currently in talks with management to see if it is something we want to do cause in the long run it may be beneficial.

Source of Information - I attended a conversion course in Scotland on Monday

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

WT* is BRC participate and do I need to? :silly:

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Ken

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:WORK: ISO / FSSC 22000 & ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training,
    PLAY: Music concerts/festivals. Folk & Heavy Rock!. Play various instruments, including mandolin, guitar, banjo and bouzouki.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

WT* is BRC participate and do I need to? :silly:

See www.brcparticipate.com Website states following:

'BRC Participate is a powerful online information management system, and the most convenient and flexible way to access all the content produced by the BRC, including BRC Global Standards, Interpretation Guidelines, supporting publications, webinars, case studies, industry white papers, social media posts and more. 

All the information you need, in fact, to guide you through the certification process and help you gain and keep your certification. You can also interact with international colleagues in the BRC Participate discussion forum: an easy way to share your experiences and discuss your day-to-day challenges.

BRC Participate is an annual subscription based service and open to certificated sites, those manufacturers wanting to become certificated, and other groups involved with BRC Global Standards such as buyers, certification bodies, trainers, and consultants.'

There is also a link to a video which expands on the above.

Edited by Ken, 18 November 2014 - 10:42 AM.

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

"In order to promote public education and public safety, equal justice for all, a better informed citizenry, the rule of law, world trade, and world peace, this legal document is hereby made available on a non commerical basis, as it is the rights of all humans to know and speak the laws that govern them."

Maybe BRC got that message.    I've been using their "DRAFT" v  7 standard.  It has "DRAFT" watermarked on it, but it's better than nothing.  Can't wait to be using an "official" copy.

Me too Magenta, Cant wait for an official copy! Im hesitant to put my notes all over the draft version knowing Im going to have to transfer most of them when the new version comes out.

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

Dear All,

I suppose, as per products on the net, the download is free. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Just been to a mis-represented 'conversion' course but that's another story.

BRC standard is  free if you sign up for BRC participate which costs the same as the standard use to... The world wearies me :uhm:

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

MrHACCP

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

BRC participate was targeted to go live on the 17th November 2014 and a video is available here http://ll1.workcast....Participate.mp4. I am trying to see if I can get a sign up to it today. I saw it at the BRC Food Safety Conference in London last month and I have to say I was impressed with it. Apparently you can still get a hard copy if you want and access to all the new e-learning content and other free guides so at that price its a steal. The other big advantage is that when there are changes to the non core areas of the standard (e.g. bolt on audits) they can easily be updated and people informed. Its definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

Dear mrHACCP,

Thanks for yr input.

Indeed some people might say that it's literally a steal. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:11 AM

BRC participate was targeted to go live on the 17th November 2014 and a video is available here http://ll1.workcast....Participate.mp4. I am trying to see if I can get a sign up to it today. I saw it at the BRC Food Safety Conference in London last month and I have to say I was impressed with it. Apparently you can still get a hard copy if you want and access to all the new e-learning content and other free guides so at that price its a steal. The other big advantage is that when there are changes to the non core areas of the standard (e.g. bolt on audits) they can easily be updated and people informed. Its definitely the way to go in my opinion.

OMG right from the get go. Is that QC/inspector/associate seriously wearing a fur collared coat??? Good thing she's wearing a hairnet though wouldn't want real hair in my food. Good luck trying to explain that white hair didn't come from a cat, rat, or polar bear.

All that apart. This looks like an awesome tool.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

Bolt on audit?? Ie Asda unannounced ??? Still costs us !!!! 

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:00 AM

Is anything free in this world. :dunno:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

Is anything free in this world. :dunno:

SQF, other than the paracetamol, beta-blockers and hair coloring.

Charles

PS -and the Practitioner Charge.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

rrana

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

Dear all, they are all free to download on your computer from BRC bookshops online, you can get those pdf version free to download , but a cannot print, as the print button is disabled.

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

Dear all, they are all free to download on your computer from BRC bookshops online, you can get those pdf version free to download , but a cannot print, as the print button is disabled.

Yup!  http://www.brcbooksh...e-6-uk-free-pdf

The copy I downloaded seems printable?  At least my "print" button isn't locked?   Straight from the $0.00 download, attached.  No password, although the website says if you have purchased a PDF, the password is    Swordfish    .... so... very secure of them to use one password and share it on the internet?  Mine wasn't locked so I don't even know if using Swordfish would have worked. 

Edited by magenta_majors, 23 December 2014 - 06:15 PM.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

I could print mine out also.  Try doing a Save-as in another location.

Martha

rrana

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

That's Correct you can print BRC GFSI standards that one, but for other standards like BRC Iop & BRC Storage and distribution its locked for printing..

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

If you really want a print version of a restricted PDF file, you can  open it with Google drive & print from there. 

But obviously you wouldn't do such a thing with the packaging standard :)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users