• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should supplier approval include janitorial consumables suppliers?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

I have been doing a lot of work with regards to ensuring we have justification and evidence to make the claim GM free, whilst doing my research it spider webbed into the realm of questionnaires and got me asking more questions...

The BRC guide V6 states that (my interpretation) suppliers of raw materials and packaging & Distribution must be approved by which part of this includes must be certified to recognized standard by where this is not the case a service agreement would be drafted to meet several points from the standard to which would need to be verified or audited etc.

So does this approval of suppliers branch out to general consumables and contracted services such as ARCO who supply all manor of safety equipment or say landscape gardener for out site maintenance?

the way i interpret the standard is that for raw materials, packaging and storage/ distribution i would need a questionnaire to be used to assess on risk the supplier. but where the other suppliers are concerned the assessment should be based on not necessarily a questionnaire but more the case a service agreement coupled with registration to the appropriate governing bodies if applicable.#

In any case im thinking that due to size of business i will create one approved supplier list that covers all food related issues as well as contracted services including office supplies which will include all data such as approved status, expiry of certifications where relevant and dates for review / submission of questionnaires.

What do you kind people think?

And on the subject of GM free, providing that all our suppliers are not using GM variants of ingredients this would be justification enough coupled with an annual test of finished product? using PCR test perhaps? (products made = dry noodle, some color and some egg but otherwise nothing too complex.)

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

From my experience from BRC auditors, they do want to see that you have approved any and all services. Auditors also like to see that they are trained in a few areas: GMP's, Evacuation Plan, Food Defense, Food Security etc.

Janitorial services should be trained in HAZCOM/Chemical control and SDS should be available for the chemicals used by them.

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

Depends on what standard you are using.  If the janitorial supplies could have an impact on food safety or quality when they are used , then you probably should treat them as an approved supplier.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

In my experience, whether it is a GMP , SQF or customer audit, they want to see all approved suppliers and that everything you buy has an approved supplier. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

I do, and I hold all the COSHH paperwork for everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

Yes every supplier, and remember that includes the people who do your calibrations and laundry.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users