Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:58 AM

hi all, in line with our upgrading production efficiency, our finished products (unpacked)  stored temporary in a room which direct contact with rake chain (stainless steel n no grease applied). What do u all will take into consideration when conducting hazard analysis at this process step? Sorry if this isn't right place to discuss such topic. 

Nomaan Asim

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:36 AM

atmospheric conditions and like that

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

What do you mean? 

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

micro, physical, chemical.

You've already taken in the risk of contamination from grease and categorized it as low because there is no grease.  But how clean is that rake chain?  How often do you have to inspect for missing pieces?  Is the finished product already packaged?  How often do you clean the rake chain (fence?)  Could you inspect it for damage/signs of pests/cleanliness with product covering it?  Do you rotate the product and clean and inspect the area every time, or leave it there for months?

I don't know what a rake chain is, but Google search says it's used to level dirt roads...which is pretty gross.  I wouldn't want my food sitting on something used to pave roads.  It looks kind of sharp as well, so if bits of metal are falling off, is it possible they end up in finished product?

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'd be looking at things like pieces of metal, food debris,  chemical residue (that is , if the chain is cleaned) listeria, yeasts & moulds.

List can be as long (or short) as you want it

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

hi Magneta,

I have checked with my technician the chain that we used is for conveying product to packing section , is stainless steel roller chain.. Yes, we will check the parts weekly to ensure no missing and do  sanitising after the checking. Is it good enough? 

May i know how do u all managed to answer to  auditor when touch chip off metal hazard?   

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi carine,

Some questions I would ask:

Biological: How well can you clean a rake chain conveyor? Have you micro tested it? Is it on a MSS? Is there an SSOP? Do you have a spec sheet for the equipment that says it's ok to be used for food?

Chemical: All chains need to be lubricated. What chemical is used to lubricate? Is it H1? Is there excess lube when used?

Physical: Is the chain regularly inspected in a routine MS or GMP audit? Is there a PM? Do you have a metal detector down stream? Have you tested a spare part of the chain against your metal detector? Is there a history of it breaking?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

Fill out a risk assessment that has your HACCP team's input - when the auditor asks about the risks, you explain how you control them. 

If metal is chipping off to the touch - I would not store it touching finished product.  Do you run it through the metal detector afterwards?

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

I would ask why is the product being store there in the first place, as it doesn't sound appropriate to me.... but maybe if you gave us more information regarding the room?

Is the chain being used to transport the product?

Is the product totally naked or just in primary packaging?

Why does it need to go into this room?

If it's not in use why is the chain being stored there? Can it be removed?

answers to these would give clarity for the risk assessment

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users