• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ecuador
    Ecuador

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hi,

I work in food industry, and one of my colleagues ask me about HACCP plan for canned tuna as per FDA guidelines. The question is about thawing time and temperature as CCP.

In my case for pre-cooked product is clear, but this product is raw and then canned and sterilized. 

Could someone help about it?

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi, Nicolaz;

From the information you have provided, the concern would be at the "thawing" step the formation of scombrotoxin due to temperature abuse.  If the raw product is MOP/MAP or vacuum sealed it could possibly add another hazard as well (C-bot).  However unlike C-bot, histamine produced from said toxin cannot be destroyed by thermal treatment.  Here is the guidance from the FDA on the control measures for this hazard;

Attached File  Chapter 7 Scombrotoxin (Histamine) Formation.pdf   2.09MB   42 downloads

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Nicolaz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ecuador
    Ecuador

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

Hi,

I agree. Histamine is the problem for temperature and time abuse. Once the fish is cut into pieces and packed in cans or jars the temperature before  thermal processing should reach maximum 40°F (4.4°C).

<Quote> 

Scombrotoxin-forming fish that have been previously frozen, or heat processed sufficiently to destroy scombrotoxin-forming bacteria and are subsequently handled in a manner in which there is an opportunity for recontamination with scombrotoxinforming bacteria, should not be exposed to temperatures above 40°F (4.4°C) for more than 12 hours, cumulatively, if any portion of that time is at temperatures above 70°F (21.1°C).
<Unquote>

As in this case fish is processed at temperatures above 70°F (ambient temperature), and internal temperature (backbone temperature) increases gradually in fish.

So they should comply with the established time limit of 12 hours after fish lot is delivered from cold storage, and backbone temperature should reach maximum 40°F bfore retorting.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users