• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:34 AM

Hello all,

I bought a Hawkins Classic pressure cooker viz  made in India. I also happened to replace the safety fuse with a spare one. Now this fuse is supposed to be made up of an alloy whose   constitution the company wont reveal (due to patent issues). But whenever I  cook anything a black soot comes out of it and probably spills into the food inside. This  is making me very worried - that it might be carcinogenic (Made of Lead, Nickel etc..)

Anyone has an thoughts on this? - Am  I being paranoid - How good is the US import quality controls?

Thanks

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

I am not sure I understand....do you buy in the US or was it made in the US.  If the fuse was made in the US, you have a good chance it is okay.  If you bought it in the US from an Indian company then, its anyone's guess if its okay.  While our regulatory people try to catch unsafe imports, there are just too many of them.  Sadly we have had many imports which hurt or killed people and animals.  

Black soot on your food is not a good thing.  I won't use it and don't think paranoid.  

Edited by Snookie, 01 December 2014 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

First post, looks like spam

So that Mr I can appreciate this post:

:dalek: :dalek:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hello all,

I bought a Hawkins Classic pressure cooker viz  made in India. I also happened to replace the safety fuse with a spare one. Now this fuse is supposed to be made up of an alloy whose   constitution the company wont reveal (due to patent issues). But whenever I  cook anything a black soot comes out of it and probably spills into the food inside. This  is making me very worried - that it might be carcinogenic (Made of Lead, Nickel etc..)

Anyone has an thoughts on this? - Am  I being paranoid - How good is the US import quality controls?

Thanks

HI punapuna86:

The US government can't look at everything that  is imported here, and certainly is not interested in the quality of an item.  They are interested in immediate danger, but not quality.  Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.

Metals are seldom carcinogenic, but more likely to be toxic.  Different story.

Looking at the Hawkins Classic, it should not even have a fuse, it's designed to be put onto a gas burner.  Did you mean the pressure regulator?  If there is black material coming from the pressure regulator, then maybe it just needs to be cleaned out.  And if it is made of aluminum, you can't put it into a dishwasher, the detergent is alkaline and will cause aluminum to blacken.  Maybe that's the source of your soot.

My advice, get a new "fuse" and check the source of the soot.  If the cooker is not good, buy something that is made by a different manufacturer.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users