• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do Finished Food Contact Materials need to be stored separately?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

noahchris97

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Classic/ Vintage coin-op restorer of pinballs & juke boxes.
    Model ship builder.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

Morning All,

I have been in Food Manufacturing over 14 + years; Now I'm in the food packaging world. Food Contact Packaging & Regular non-food Packaging. I just have a question about storage of such items. Can finish product ( food contact ) be stored in / on / below / or above the same shelf / rack with in coming raw material that has not been converted & Non-Food packaging?  Or does these items need to be stored separate?

We are in the process of seeking, SQF level 2 certification. 

Thank you,   

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Standard practice would be to have any non-food contact stuff stored away from food contact items finished or unfinished.  They may not be manufactured in a food safe way.  Away being, in my mind, a different rack.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

noahchris97

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
    Model ship builder.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

Mr. Incognito,

Thank you for your rapid response. I'm also from Western New York ( Buffalo )

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

Ah that's cool I'm only about 30-40 minutes to the east right near Rochester.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

noahchris97

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
    Model ship builder.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

Ah!!! very cool...first time around in manufacturing of Food Contact Packaging. Thanks for your help... keep in touch...

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

Morning All,

I have been in Food Manufacturing over 14 + years; Now I'm in the food packaging world. Food Contact Packaging & Regular non-food Packaging. I just have a question about storage of such items. Can finish product ( food contact ) be stored in / on / below / or above the same shelf / rack with in coming raw material that has not been converted & Non-Food packaging?  Or does these items need to be stored separate?

We are in the process of seeking, SQF level 2 certification. 

Thank you,   

:welcome: NoahChris97

Please refer to part 11.7 Separation of Function of SQF

11.7.1.1 The process flow shall be designed to prevent cross contamination and organized so there is a continuous flow of product through the process. The flow of personnel shall be managed such that the potential for contamination is minimized.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

Just note that packaging doesn't follow Module 11 - they use Module 13.  However - the wording is the same. Bottom line is that the code does not specify the exact segregation requirements.  The company should design the system to minimize risk.  If you have concerns, others will too!  Recognize that and conduct a risk assessment.  You will find that either you can logically defend your practices by showing they are effective - or you may discover that you should improve.  The code really is based on risk. 

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

I work for a company that produces food contact packaging.  We recently acquired SQF Level 2 certification.  We faced the same issue - SQF code talks about storing raw materials separately from finished goods.

We interpreted this as not letting raw materials contaminate finished goods.  For example, raw eggs breaking and contaminating baked goods.

Our risk analysis states that film or resin will not contaminate our finished goods (plastic film packaging).  Nothing will transfer from raw materials to finished goods if both are contained properly.  Therefore we do not require film or resin to be stored separately from finished goods.  However, we do store inks, solvents, etc. separately since they could be a contaminant in the case of a spill.

jenmarshall

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

I concur with CMHeywood. I also work in food packaging and we wrote a similar risk assessment as long as materials are packaged to prevent contamination (i.e. dust, etc.), we do not distinguish storage areas between raw materials, WIP, and finished goods. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users