4 replies to this topic

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

Good morning all,

With the hope of finding somebody from Germany I would like to make a question at this forum if you allowed me to do so.

I was told that the following food additives are not allowed in Germany: acesulfame K, sorbitol and propilenglicol. Being aware that the national legislation can be more restrictive than the European regulation I would like to know if this is true? I would really appreciate any help.

Best regards
Esther

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

Good morning all,

With the hope of finding somebody from Germany I would like to make a question at this forum if you allowed me to do so.

I was told that the following food additives are not allowed in Germany: acesulfame K, sorbitol and propilenglicol. Being aware that the national legislation can be more restrictive than the European regulation I would like to know if this is true? I would really appreciate any help.

Best regards
Esther

Dear Esther,

Good to hear from you again.

As you obviously know, the only guaranteed answer will probably require a native  reply.

Unfortunately Germanic input here seems quite rare lately but maybe some lurker will spot yr post and donate info. Here's hoping.

Happy Xmas/New Year

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

Dear Charles

Thank you so much for your kind answer.

I am aware that the answer better to come from a native person.

As you said, let us wait. I will keep mu fingers crossed.

It has been a pleasure to hear from you. Congratulations for the good work you all are doing.

Happy New Year 2015.

Regards

Esther

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

Dear Esther,

in principle Germany has to follow EC 1333/2008.

With respect to the examples given there are some restrictings depending on product groups. The examples you have mentioned do not have a quantum satis permission for all products. What are your products of interest?

There might be a difference in interpretation and especially in execution of law in single EC countries. Perhaps there is a question of carry over e.g. with propylen glycol.

Rgds

moskito

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

Dear Moskito

Thanks for your king reply.

The problem comes from my client. I think he has been given an incomplete information but I am not 100% sure that is why I am taken this research.

The product of concern is a chocolate-based product. They can not use those additeves on their products because such products are not  energy-reduced or with no added sugar. 

However I want to make sure that there is not restriction at all in Germany about thsoe additives beyond the european legislation.

As you are writting from Germany I wonder if you have any news about acesulfame K, sorbitol and propilenglicol to be banned in Germany for general use in food? 

Thanks in advance.  Best regards

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users