Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

Outbreaks Associated with Nonpasteurized Milk, United States

During 2007–2012, a total of 81 outbreaks associated with nonpasteurized milk were reported from 26 states. These outbreaks resulted in 979 illnesses and 73 hospitalizations. No deaths were reported. The causative agent was reported for all outbreaks.

Conclusions
Within this 6-year period, the number of outbreaks associated with nonpasteurized milk increased. The number of outbreaks caused by Campylobacter spp. nearly doubled. The average number of outbreaks associated with nonpasteurized milk was 4-fold higher during this 6-year period (average 13.5 outbreaks/year) than that reported in a review of outbreaks during 1993–2006 (3.3 outbreaks/year). This increase was concurrent with a decline in the number of states in which the sale of nonpasteurized milk was illegal, from 28 in 2004 to 20 in 2011 and with an increase in the number of states allowing cow-share programs (from 5 in 2004 to 10 in 2008).

IFSQN comment: If you want to sell raw milk you need to make damn sure your raw material is fine..........

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

In my inbox today - 3 year old dies from raw milk

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

In my inbox today - 3 year old dies from raw milk

From your link 'Raw milk is illegal to sell for human consumption in Australia'

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

Here in the west it can still be purchased but is labeled for, "pets" and not for human consumption, although many do. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

From your link 'Raw milk is illegal to sell for human consumption in Australia'

Australia, US .... it's dangerous everywhere.   I have a lot of issues in the US with States deciding on food laws, creating a patchwork...it hurts food processors as distribution, but I'm also 'merican, so I think if you're crazy enough to do it, then go right ahead, as long as you don't hurt other people .   We have Arizona and Florida for a reason.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Australia, US .... it's dangerous everywhere.  

There were 81 outbreaks out of how many people who drink it.  We aren't told what percentage that 81 is out of.  Raw milk was sold for many years from a dairy in California and based on the amount sold, there were only a few problems.  I personally drank it for many years without any incident.  Oh my gosh it tasted so much better than what we buy know and think it had many health benefits.

I would venture to say that meat has much higher levels of pathogenic bacteria and while meat is generally cooked, how many "outbreaks" occurred due to meat. 

I have a lot of issues in the US with States deciding on food laws, creating a patchwork...it hurts food processors as distribution, but I'm also 'merican, so I think if you're crazy enough to do it, then go right ahead, as long as you don't hurt other people .   We have Arizona and Florida for a reason.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing (literally).....thank you I needed that laugh.  

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users