• IFSQN Member
  • 78 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I've been posting on here a lot lately, but everyone has been very helpful. I appreciate it all. 

The new facility im in now is constantly having bird issues. 

They are located close to a residential area and this is what also attributes to their issues. 

Im looking for some creative ideas for fending off birds. 

I know about the sounds, the decoy owls, the netting, and the spikes, but none of these are working. 
We are trying to determine the entry point for the birds right now as well, any suggestions would help.

thanks

WEebus

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

What sort of birds?  I work mainly in fish processing...talk to me about birds....nothing scares seagulls.

Some sites fly birds of prey and this deters birds from gathering near a facility ( not seagulls though, they just fly higher, I know this because I've seen it ). You can find people who have birds of prey and they will do this for you.

Other than that all the other methods I have seen have been abject failures, but I am talking seagulls....

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Are they IN your facility?  Roosting near trucks? 

-Setanta         

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

shoot

shovel

shut up.

Not in a whole lot of written plans, but in way more plants than you'd think.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

Depending on how your receiving bays are set up I know that birds can get in under trucks or over them if small trucks back up to larger bays.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

shoot

shovel

shut up.

One of my previous policies stated that we would "encourage" the bird(s) to leave the facility. What was left unstated was this encouragement would be provided by my very accurate pellet gun with red dot sight that was perfectly sighted in at 30 feet.

Marshall

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

That is really over kill, if you'll pardon the expression.  During daylight hours, turn off all inside lights in the area, cover windows and open a door to the outside.Then make a racket to scare the bird out. No pellets, no carcass, no mess. Most birds have less desire to be inside than you wanting them inside

Edited by Setanta, 12 December 2014 - 07:57 PM.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'm liking the shoot shovel shut up approach but I'm talking flocks of seagulls and it's not the band.......

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:40 PM

I used to work in England. In England, seagulls are protected by the Queen. As an Irish person who owes no alligiance to the Queen, it was my job to kill the seagulls. Calcium carbide works best. Be careful though, those bastards will swoop and will try to peck your head (the seagulls, not the English). 

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

Dear Weebus,

I'd go for some high-tech.

Drone scarecrows perhaps ? Preferably of irish manufacture by the sound of it.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - @Shea quay, i like the humour but support the seagulls

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

shoot

shovel

shut up.

Legal in Arizona.  I bought a pellet gun and the factory manager and production manager actively wanted birds to come in so they would have an excuse to go shooting in the factory.  This was also the method pest control used.

Not legal in California.  Totally illegal.  Our pest control here uses spikes / nets. 

Before you do this, I'd check your states laws.  Are you allowed to take a gun into a bar?  Are you allowed to kill or build on endangered wildlife sites with little to no legal barriers?  Congratulations, feel free to shoot anywhere and kill anything.   Practice this line - "I was standing my ground."

Do you need a 5 year long environmental impact study before reflooring the office?  Does owning a firearm involve lying about your mental health?  Sorry, you will have to find alternate means.

The guy who brings birds of prey is called a Falconer .  It's wicked cool, though again, temporary fix.  The fake owls only last a short amount of time, but if you rotate out the owls & move them around you can get more use out of them. 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Thanked by 1 Member:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

Lmao Shea Quay!!!! I love your humour

Caz xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

I used to work in England. In England, seagulls are protected by the Queen. As an Irish person who owes no alligiance to the Queen, it was my job to kill the seagulls. Calcium carbide works best. Be careful though, those bastards will swoop and will try to peck your head (the seagulls, not the English). 

I've met some English people that would peck your head as soon  look at you.......does Calcium Carbide work on them too????  :giggle:

Are they really protected by the Queen? I thought that was swans? Does she alternate at Christmas , odd year Swan for dinner, even year Gannet, Black Backed or herring gull?

Edited by trubertq, 14 December 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Maillard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

A very effective, non-lethal way of fending off birds that I've seen in place has been the use of inflatable wavy arm tube hooked up to a fan unit.

As ridiculous as it may sound, they have been particularly effective at previous sites i've worked at as they are very large, and not static.  They key is to ensure the placement of the inflatable is rotated daily to trick the birds to thinking it may be a moving threat.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B008NCQ5O2

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 94 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

Weebus90 -

I agree with truebertq - knowing the type of bird may help determine the reason the birds are entering. Along with Setanta's suggestion about turning off the lights - look around for light entering the building where it shouldn't...may indicate the ingress route.

There are a couple other methods:

- pest control company should have a 'stick'um' (forgot the name) that is applied like caulk to roosting points and discourages birds from landing

- pest control companies also have a poisoned feed that may be applied in certain conditions to gathering areas on the roof, although; 1) can't use for protected bird species & 2) with proximity to residential area, not good to have dead birds dropping out of the sky (literally) onto people's yards or cars

Keith

QAM Systems

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

Hello there,

In Canada I have seen plants use a decoy Predator such as a Owl or Eagle standing at a place where it is very visible to its prey. Also, netting have been used in the inside of a shipping/receiving dock ceilings and warehouse ceilings to trap this pest.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue.

QAM

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

mjgif.gif?w=420&h=315

This thread has been an amazing read, lol !!

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sandima

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

Interesting that Trubertq says raptors don't work on seagulls there because they were the only thing to work well here on seagulls.  As soon as the falconer showed up the seagulls left for greener pastures, they didn't even have the fly the birds just walk around with them and then set them on their perch.  There was no effect on sparrows though.  Maybe if they had been flown the sparrows would have noticed?

It was very expensive though so now we just pay a person to walk around and wave things (fake birds, rakes, shovels, their fists) at them.  Not really effective in the long run.

When they are inside we try to encourage them with open doors etc. but resort to elimination if necessary as our policy says.

Sandi

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

:roflmao: :rofl2: :roflmao: :rofl2: ....air.....I need air.....can't breathe.....am laughing too hard.....may need 911.....oh wait I have crappy medical insurance which costs me a fortune and can't afford to use it.... never mind 911,  will just keep laughing. :roflmao: :rofl2:

Really though threads like these are one of the finer things in life, even if not safe......

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Sharon

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:37 AM

One of my previous policies stated that we would "encourage" the bird(s) to leave the facility. What was left unstated was this encouragement would be provided by my very accurate pellet gun with red dot sight that was perfectly sighted in at 30 feet.

Marshall

We call it relocating but we neglect to say new location is 6 feet under

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

The perfect combination. "In the case of avian intrusion into the facility, trained and designated staff will encourage the pest to relocate outside the building."

Marshall

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

A very effective, non-lethal way of fending off birds that I've seen in place has been the use of inflatable wavy arm tube hooked up to a fan unit.

As ridiculous as it may sound, they have been particularly effective at previous sites i've worked at as they are very large, and not static.  They key is to ensure the placement of the inflatable is rotated daily to trick the birds to thinking it may be a moving threat.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B008NCQ5O2

Is this one comment even serious??? You will have people lined up at your facility thinking you're selling used cars. When the people come out and have their car missing they'll know who to blame notso-harmlessbrian

Make a splash at your next presentation

http://youtu.be/NWObn0iOMCk

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Is this one comment even serious??? You will have people lined up at your facility thinking you're selling used cars. When the people come out and have their car missing they'll know who to blame notso-harmlessbrian

While I have not had the kind of bird problems discussed here, I have heard of several plants that have used this method successfully. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Maillard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Yes this comment is serious.  And, as expected, there will always be ones that joke and the idea of it.  If you are able to look at what the object offers rather than it being something Family Guy spoofed, you get: a large, non-static, noise-making (from fan), and non-lethal object that you can keep outside to scare off birds.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Heeeeey I got harmless Brian to post again....Sorry Brian I just have a vivid imagination didn't mean any harm...I was reading this post after It_Rains_Inside said it was her favorite...and was Laughing So Hard....I need to call Family Guy to add that part to the bit...Need to scare seagulls away from your food facility???? Boy do we have the remedy for you!!!!! :roflmao:

I guess it scares the birds away from defecating on the used cars as well as attract customers (Two birds with one stone??? eh eh eh Anyone???)...funny thing is someone here at the office dressed up as that for Halloween.

Attached File  Halloween - Jesus - 1.jpg   65.66KB   8 downloads

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users