Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hello, I have a dilemma. If during the meat preparation we use a part of meat and mince it for further grilling, should this be an oprp or a CCP?

Thank you,

Ivana

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

I say a little bit more information may be required to what your product actually is.  

When you say "during the meat preparation" does this mean there are other meats? 

For mincing:

• Is the equipment easy to clean and sanitise?  
  • How long does the process last?  ​Is the process within a temperature-controlled room?  If not, is it possible to convert into a temperature-controlled room?  If not, consider a CCP for time factor due to pathogen growth
  • How much of the mince meat do you use from your bulk order? Is it all used in the one batch?  If yes, then traceability is easy.  If broken up over batches during the day or over the week, then traceability could be difficult therefore you may consider it a CCP

When grilling, do you grill the meat until it is completely cooked?  

I'm assuming you are also referring to raw meat since you are mincing and grilling it.  Therefore your suppliers would be part of your approved supplier program.  As part of that approval, your meat suppliers would be registered with the meat association/regulation of your country with added HACCP certification as part of their assurance.  You would also have a CCP at receival to ensure meats received are temperature checked and within critical limits.  

Would be interested to hear what other peeps here have to say...

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

ivana78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

Ok, here's the flow. We have certified producers of meat. We buy pork and beef and we check meat temperature at reception. When processing raw meat (for cutlets), sometimes we mince between 50-100 kg for burgers or loafs. It is always used latest within 12 hrs of mincing. The meat is always from one bulk.  And we produce food in 3 shifts for a mill with roughly 1500 cooked meals a day.  Since it is a ready-to-eat produce it is completely cooked or grilled.

Meat processing takes place in a butchery where the room temperature is between 18 and 19 degrees.

The equipment is easy to clean and sanitize.

Hope this clears the picture a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Ivana

•  

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

What is risk of metal inclusion? 

Sounds to me that from bacteria and chemical risk are controllable which would mean OPRP, not CCP.  If metal is low risk, then mincing would not be CCP

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

oprp for your mincing and CCP for your grilling.

Need to edit to put in a disclaimer that I have not seen your HACCP Plan nor have I seen your process to give  you an exact answer but based off your sentence "Since it is a ready-to-eat produce it is completely cooked or grilled" You should use a Significance Chart to determine whether it's a CCP or not. A Critical Control Point is a step which control can be applied and is essential to prevent or eliminate a food safety hazard or reduce it to an acceptable level. It is the last step of the process to address the hazard.

Edited by RG3, 22 December 2014 - 11:19 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

Dear Ivana,

I deduce this is iso/ffsc22000 despite the forum. or perhaps you have expanded oprp in which case who knows ? :whistle:

You omitted to indicate what you believed the hazard to be. Or the proposed control measure of interest.

As i understand, the step you mention is a separate process in itself, consisting of mincing raw meat, and grilling, etc, etc for (frozen?) RTE beefburgers, whatever.

I deduce you are asking if the mincing step is/contains an oprp or ccp.

and one (short) answer could be -

(a) If the preceived hazard is significant (eg based on a RA matrix), it is either a CCP or OPRP. (seems unlikely to be a prp)

(b) If so, the decision as to oprp/ccp is then ideally based on 7.4.4.

I presume the most likely hazard of interest  is micro.growth of E.coli O157 and/or Salmonella. If the history/mincing step does not include any unacceptable time/temperature activities (???), IMO the answer to (a) is NO. So (b) is then irrelevant.

But if you like to generate lot's of ccps/oprps, I daresay the auditor will be equally happy to see you design your matrix so as to justify a significant hazard and embark on the (b) iso haccp story.

IMO the simplistic logic of deciding the hazard is/is not a "Codex CCP" and, if not, then the control measure must be an oprp is fallacious. But yr auditor may well disagree. :smile:

It's also possible that the recent revised issue of iso22004 may change the situation. :wacko:

PS - of course if the perceived hazard was also/solely(?)  metal from mincing, it rather depends on whether there is a MD lurking anywhere.

PPS - it is also possible Serbia may have some regulatory CCP steps that you are (so far) unaware of?

Happy Xmas / NY

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Meat processing takes place in a butchery where the room temperature is between 18 and 19 degrees.

Ivana

Dear Ivana,

18 -19 degree Celsius for temperature in a Butchery room seems very high to me.

EU directive 853/2004 requires meat to be processed at room temperature of maximum 12 degrees Celsius.

Also this directive is requiring a temperature of minced meat of maximum 2 degrees Celsius. It will be hard to obtain this in a working temperature of 18-19 C.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users