• Quick Navigation
Photo

New SQF Program from scratch - Stage 1 audit completed and...

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

JSwenPDX

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

No nonconformances.

:yeahrite:

So now I'm worried that Stage 2 will come around and the auditor will find all these issues with our program because it doesn't appear that he's even read the documents. Moving blindly into implementation...

Anyone have a horror story of Stage 1 vs Stage 2 conformance/nonconformance discrepencies to help give me some nightmares come March?

J.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Not exactly a horror story, but I have gotten nonconformance's on documents during the Stage 2 audit that he had supposedly reviewed during the desk audit. Don't stay calm just because your Stage 1 went well. Continue making improvements.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

Dear jswenpdx,

As a potential gambit if the previous post occurring (albeit mine not for sqf), i requested my docs to be "vetted" in advance prior to the designated 1step audit and got a scrap of paper back saying "no problems" with an illegible signature X on it. (Probably received a cursory glance).

At the main audit, the auditor Y started to discuss some doc. queries and was somewhat taken aback when i produced my scrap in the hat. The audit then shortly continued into the production area. Apparently auditors may have their own internal communication problems. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

Also remember just because an auditor didn't see something the first time doesn't mean he won't notice it the second time around.  He may also find that some of your documentation doesn't go far enough for what's actually happening in your operation.

The desk audit is supposed to ensure you have at least a minimum amount of proper documentation for him to even consider coming back to do a full audit... so he doesn't waste his time.  

I, however, have had no such issue.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

Dear jswenpdx,

As a potential gambit if the previous post occurring (albeit mine not for sqf), i requested my docs to be "vetted" in advance prior to the designated 1step audit and got a scrap of paper back saying "no problems" with an illegible signature X on it. (Probably received a cursory glance).

At the main audit, the auditor Y started to discuss some doc. queries and was somewhat taken aback when i produced my scrap in the hat. The audit then shortly continued into the production area. Apparently auditors may have their own internal communication problems. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

You can do this?!?!? I should've joined this forum before my Stage 2 audit.

Also remember just because an auditor didn't see something the first time doesn't mean he won't notice it the second time around.  He may also find that some of your documentation doesn't go far enough for what's actually happening in your operation.

The desk audit is supposed to ensure you have at least a minimum amount of proper documentation for him to even consider coming back to do a full audit... so he doesn't waste his time.  

I, however, have had no such issue.

This wasn't the case. We're talking strictly some wording he wanted changed. And that my HACCP flow chart didn't have the CL's clearly listed for him even though I had it in a zillion other places in my HACCP Plan. I'm sticking to: my auditor had a split personality disorder.

JSwenPDX

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Dear jswenpdx,

Rgds / Charles.C

For the SQF initial certification, the same auditor does stage 1 (doc review) as stage 2 (on-site audit). I'm worried that he didn't put in enough thought the first time around and it will bite me in stage 2. If that happens, I'll do his corrective actions and then submit my concern to the CB - after certification, of course. ;)

JustinJ

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

I feel your pain and anxiety, I went from simple USDA inspections that last 1-2 hrs to SQF Level 2 in one year at a facility that runs 4 weeks tops. We did have a Pre-Assessment Audit a few months before, which did help boost my confidence. I will say there is some benefit to starting from scratch, one thing that has helped me is just taking the code, audit checklist and guidance documents http://www.sqfi.com/documents/ and start writing policies to meet the code, I also do this every year during my reviews. One thing to be careful of is you must do what you say you are doing, so don't over promise. It is better to meet the code and over deliver than to not do what you are saying you are doing. 

Good Luck!

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

Dear jswenpdx,

Rgds / Charles.C

For the SQF initial certification, the same auditor does stage 1 (doc review) as stage 2 (on-site audit). I'm worried that he didn't put in enough thought the first time around and it will bite me in stage 2. If that happens, I'll do his corrective actions and then submit my concern to the CB - after certification, of course. ;)

This is why I do the GAP audit, the desk audit and the site audit all through the same company.  I want them to have skin in the game so if there are any "got ya's" I am not left holding the bag. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users