Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

Hello all.  Just looking for some economical ideas on how to better prevent mislabeling.  We have no allergens in our plant, so the food safety risk is reduced, but we still foresee a risk in regards to decreased customer satisfaction if mislabeled product leaves our plant.   

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hi Jess, if you take away the word "economical" from your question then this upcoming FSF webinar may have been of interest: How to Implement a Successful Vision Inspection Program to Prevent Labeling Defects - to be honest the presentation and discussion may help you anyway.

With your current situation it may be helpful if you told us how you control labels such as issuing/dispensing, applying them, returning unused etc.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

Depending on how many products you run, a reference manual that includes a photo of product w/ appropriate labeling/coding may be helpful. 

We have a million different product lines, so it took me a while to create a reference for all, but the photos seemed to help people feel confident they were applying correct label. 

We call them "Pack Sheets". They contain, Product Sku, Pallet Config, Any labels applied to product, what type of pallet, sleeve/ box sku ... As part of the start-up process, operators verify each piece of the pack sheet to confirm labeling and coding is correct. (We then use this as part of our quality checks, at a pre-determined frequency, a QA tech will validate that correct coding, labeling, and packaging elements are still correct. - For us we do every hour, but we turn over a huge amount of product in that time). This process is a little lengthy - so depending on what type of mislabeling problems you have or are anticipating you can always make yours to have more or less. 

I attached a sample of what ours looks like. 

Edit** Having a manual of all coding / labeling is also an easy way to track changes!

Attached Files

Edited by it_rains_inside, 20 January 2015 - 03:48 PM.

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users