S Maddux

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Cycling, making beer and drinking good beer, family, friends and making every day count. "Good leadership isn't about advancing yourself. It's about advancing your team" -John C Maxwell

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

I need some opinions please.  We have freezer storage of raw meat/poultry and ingredients listed as a process step in our Hazard Analysis.  We do monitor the freezer with chart records and they are checked each shift and documented.  We do not list any Hazards at this step. 

1.  Does anyone see any hazards at this step?

2.  If we don't have any hazards listed should we keep the justification empty or do we add that the temp is monitored by chart recorded and checked twice a day? 

I hope I have giving enough information. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:53 AM

I need some opinions please.  We have freezer storage of raw meat/poultry and ingredients listed as a process step in our Hazard Analysis.  We do monitor the freezer with chart records and they are checked each shift and documented.  We do not list any Hazards at this step. 

1.  Does anyone see any hazards at this step?

2.  If we don't have any hazards listed should we keep the justification empty or do we add that the temp is monitored by chart recorded and checked twice a day? 

I hope I have giving enough information. 

Dear S.Maddux,

I assume by "freezer" you mean storage at approx. -18degC. Semantic variations on this word have caused havoc here before. Specifying temperatures is always advisable.

If otherwise to above, my comments in (1) will require to be re-interpreted but, at least in my case/my process, will have the same conclusion if you literally mean a freezing stage to -18degC.   (or do you mean a  chilling stage/storage to around 0degC which may be a different kettle of meat yet again ?),  However a wider variation of  opinions / conclusions is likely to be involved for obvious reasons. The  analysis methods for hazards / risk are nonetheless similar to  those shown in the attachment below. The freezing  (to reach -18degC) stage (and CCP potential)  has been previously discussed on this forum in some detail. Chilled storage probably also.

As one general viewpoint of the risk assessment part of the haccp plan see attachment below –

Attached File  hazards - hazard analysis.png   293.6KB   4 downloads

(1) Just as an idea, some haccp plans have this step as a CCP, typically due micro-growth (eg very poor refrigeration equipment and/or storage as a combined slow freezing stage). Some FS standards (eg fssc22000) pre-define it as a PRP. Some Jack-of-all-trades cold storage rooms contain  every conceivable food input/output housed in packagings giving protection ranging from low to high so "PC(A)"  may then come into play.

If by “see” you refer the textual hazard listing in the haccp plan, (i) some formats simply say “None” for BCP(A) / cold storage, (ii) others pick examples from above as potential examples and designate controlled by GMP, (iii) others take a (presumably for their system) objectively worst case view and make a CCP. And other variations.

I have always followed (ii) without any auditorial challenges so far.

(2) This often depends on the chosen format (Regulatory?) of yr haccp plan, presumably for USDA in yr case. No idea of their specific demands, if any.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ChocoTiger

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

S Maddux,

This is the process step for the Freezer in our HACCP Plan.  In my previous life, as a USDA inspector, I saw my fair share of HACCP Plans, so I know this is acceptable.  If your inspector asks you about temperature monitoring, you can provide the temperature record charts.  The inspector might want to go into the freezer and check for themselves, observe the current temperature chart, or observe the monitor checking the temperature.

If you need any additional info, suggestions, etc.  PM me, and I'll help you out. :)

Processing Step Freezer/Storage (-10˚F)

Identify potential hazards introduced or controlled at this step. 

Biological

Chemical 

Physical 

Are any potential food safety hazards? (Yes/No)

Biological- No

Chemical- No

Physical- No

Justify your decisions for Column 3.

Biological- Not reasonably likely to occur

Chemical- Not reasonably likely to occur

Physical- Not reasonably likely to occur

What preventative measures can be applied to prevent the significant hazards?

Biological- Not reasonably likely to occur

Chemical- Not reasonably likely to occur

Physical- Not reasonably likely to occur

Is this step a Critical Control Point? (Yes / No) 

Biological- No

Chemical- No

Physical- No

Edited by ChocoTiger, 20 February 2015 - 06:35 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:36 PM