• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Good morning,

I am very new to BRC and Quality Control, and responsible for having our company certified hopefully sometime this year.

Does anyone know of any courses I should be taking and where in Ontario (preferably in the Toronto area) they would be? I have already tried talking to a couple of consultants and it seems training is not taking place at the moment or even any time soon...

Also, if there is any way I could get a sample of a BRC Packaging/Quality Manual, that would be incredibly helpful. I am having a little trouble trying to figure out how to start this process or what it's all supposed to look like.

Thank you...

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hello TNA180

A great place to start would be the BRC website, there you can purchase the standard that you are trying to achieve, part of the audit is having an authentic version of the standard. 

They also have other great tools like a 'gap analysis' which is essentially a large checklist of things to do before the audit - covering the entire standard.

IFSQN also has a store you should check out, they have starter sets that can be purchased that will help you pave the path to becoming certified. Below is the link to a video of the "Food Safety Implementation Package" that is available from IFSQN for BRC packaging.

https://www.youtube....h?v=HOi1dl3Ezp8

As far as training courses, unfortunately, you have to look around. Especially if you are wanting something local. I am from the US and can offer some really great training courses to take that are stateside, but the best advice I can give regarding training is don't be so specific to BRC, most GFSI schemes are very similiar in intent, if you cannot find one for BRC , try SQF or FSSC 22000. Methods for how the standard is achieved is a little different, but it will at least get your feet wet with what to expect.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 2 Members:

TNA180

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:04 PM

Hello TNA180

A great place to start would be the BRC website, there you can purchase the standard that you are trying to achieve, part of the audit is having an authentic version of the standard. 

They also have other great tools like a 'gap analysis' which is essentially a large checklist of things to do before the audit - covering the entire standard.

IFSQN also has a store you should check out, they have starter sets that can be purchased that will help you pave the path to becoming certified. Below is the link to a video of the "Food Safety Implementation Package" that is available from IFSQN for BRC packaging.

https://www.youtube....h?v=HOi1dl3Ezp8

As far as training courses, unfortunately, you have to look around. Especially if you are wanting something local. I am from the US and can offer some really great training courses to take that are stateside, but the best advice I can give regarding training is don't be so specific to BRC, most GFSI schemes are very similiar in intent, if you cannot find one for BRC , try SQF or FSSC 22000. Methods for how the standard is achieved is a little different, but it will at least get your feet wet with what to expect.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

Thank you so much for your help! This is great!!

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Also...

NSF is our auditing body and they provide some really nice trainings.. not sure if you can convince your boss to send you, but it is totally worth the trip (See the NSF site for details on the training!)

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

Good morning,

I am very new to BRC and Quality Control, and responsible for having our company certified hopefully sometime this year.

Does anyone know of any courses I should be taking and where in Ontario (preferably in the Toronto area) they would be? I have already tried talking to a couple of consultants and it seems training is not taking place at the moment or even any time soon...

Also, if there is any way I could get a sample of a BRC Packaging/Quality Manual, that would be incredibly helpful. I am having a little trouble trying to figure out how to start this process or what it's all supposed to look like.

Thank you...

As I_R_I mentioned, you'll need a hard copy for the audit since they do ask for it during the audit.

To help you get through it though meanwhile Attached File  Copy of BRC 7.xlsx   90.96KB   76 downloads

Good courses to take:

BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Understanding the Requirements

BRC - Internal Auditor Course

Your consultant may have only of been talking about his firm. Try looking into other firms. Toronto is a main city. Take a gander at the following by doing a quick search:

SAI Global - BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Understanding the Requirements - April 20-21, 2015 Toronto - ON - CANADA SAI Global Toronto Office

SGS - BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Implementation Live Virtual Classroom Offering Type: Classroom 09-Mar-15 10:00

ULDQS - UL DQS Is Offering Two-Day Training Classes on BRC IoP for Packaging Raleigh, NC, on Mar. 14-15 and in Chicago at the UL Northbrook facility on May 7-8.

I'm not soliciting any of these but it's just to make a point that there are plenty of options and they're all relatively "some time soon".

It will be who of you to check with your clients if they recommend you work with a specific CB to try to narrow your search.

Hope this helps TNA180.

Thanked by 1 Member:

TNA180

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

As I_R_I mentioned, you'll need a hard copy for the audit since they do ask for it during the audit.

To help you get through it though meanwhile attachicon.gifCopy of BRC 7.xlsx

Good courses to take:

BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Understanding the Requirements

BRC - Internal Auditor Course

Your consultant may have only of been talking about his firm. Try looking into other firms. Toronto is a main city. Take a gander at the following by doing a quick search:

SAI Global - BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Understanding the Requirements - April 20-21, 2015 Toronto - ON - CANADA SAI Global Toronto Office

SGS - BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Implementation Live Virtual Classroom Offering Type: Classroom 09-Mar-15 10:00

ULDQS - UL DQS Is Offering Two-Day Training Classes on BRC IoP for Packaging Raleigh, NC, on Mar. 14-15 and in Chicago at the UL Northbrook facility on May 7-8.

I'm not soliciting any of these but it's just to make a point that there are plenty of options and they're all relatively "some time soon".

It will be who of you to check with your clients if they recommend you work with a specific CB to try to narrow your search.

Hope this helps TNA180.

RG3, thank you very much for providing the checklist to me. This was definitely helpful and gave me a feeling of relief! I actually spoke with one of the firms you mentioned in your post, but I will take a look around some more.

Thanks!

Sandima

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

GFTC is in Guelph is about an hour from Toronto (depending on where in TO ;-) ) and they offer lots of training through out the year.  

http://www.gftc.ca/c...e-calendar.aspx

The link is to their monthly course schedule and you can get details on the courses by clicking on them.

john.kukoly

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 56 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

TNA180 - make a note that the XL spreadhsheet that was provided, as well as the courses all provided by RG3 are the BRC Food Standard, not for the BRC Packaging Standard. The reference to the training listed on the BRC website is right on, www.brctrainingacademy.com/CoursesinNSAmericaandCanada.aspx you will see a selection of courses.   I like rains' thinking above - trainng in Las Vegas could be interesting....

As for the Standard, it's a free download from www.brcbookshop.com

The Bookshop is a little challenging to navigate, so I cut and pasted some support information...

With the introduction of BRC Food issue 7, all of our Standards are available as a free pdf download ( the entire Standard, requirements and protocol). This can be obtained from www.brcbookshop.com

Once you reach the landing page, you select the Standard (i.e. Food, Packaging, A&B…), then select the free pdf (it will say the UK version at this point, select that). When the next page loads, you scroll down and choose the translation (for example, N. American, French, or Spanish) where available. This will shift to the desired translation, and then add that to your basket. You will note that the cost remains at zero.  

Just prior to downloading, you will be asked to provide contact information, including your e-mail address. This will allow BRC to communicate any changes, updates or positions statements direct to those downloading the Standard. This will satisfy clause 1.1.7 of Food 7, where the site is required to have a “current” copy of the Standard. The free download will be sufficient, provided any updates or changes are in place.  

On the same website, can be found all other BRC materials that are available for purchase, including the pdf and hard copies of the Standards and Interpretation Guides. A credit card will be required for purchasing these materials. 

There are some security features around the number of individual downloads per log in, as well as some restrictions on printability of the Standards. The intention behind these security features is to provide a certain level of Intellectual Property protection. It is encouraged that each person who needs a copy of the Standards, download their own personal copy. 

Additionally, BRCParticipate is now available. This is a subscription based website, that for a single annual fee, provides access to electronic versions (including flipbook versions) of the Standards, Interpretation Guides, Best Practice Guides and BRC webinars. This subscription service is not mandatory, but provides access to significant resources for facilities seeking to improve their food safety systems. An introductory video about the site may be viewed at www.brcparticipate.com

Have fun!

John

Edited by Simon, 11 February 2015 - 09:12 PM.

QAM Systems

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

TNA180,

Further to all this information if you are looking for something local in Toronto you can get some training courses from SAI GLOBAL, FT consulting, SGS Canada and web courses from food seminar international, etc. 

Hope this info helps.

Good Luck,

Paul G.

QAM systems

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BRC, foodsafety, quality, qualitycontrol, packaging, packagingmaterials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users