• Quick Navigation
Photo

PAS 223: 9 - Is a Certificate of Analysis enough in this situation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

rfr429

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:44 AM

I just recently conducted a Food Safety Audit of a FSSC 22000 certified Bottling Plant.

I noticed that only a written Certificate of Analysis (CoA)is given by their customer.

The CoA states that Syrup A and B are safe to use per their company product specifications.

I believe that the Bottling Plant is non-compliant per PAS 223: 9 Purchased materials and services.

Per PAS 223: 9 Purchased materials and services

Raw materials shall be inspected, tested or covered by CoA/CoC to verify conformance to specified requirements prior to acceptance or use. The method of verification shall be documented.

There is no way for them to verify that the ingredients/chemicals used in Syrup A and Syrup B is within product specifications.

Your comments are highly appreciated.

zue_rais

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hi,

Are there any microbial specs stated? If yes, and they complies, then it is OK

rfr429

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the comment.

Just to clarify, the customer of the contract bottling toller never mention any micro, chemical or ingredients specs in their CoA.

Only a general statement " the their raw materials is to safe to use per their specifications"

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the comment.

Just to clarify, the customer of the contract bottling toller never mention any micro, chemical or ingredients specs in their CoA.

Only a general statement " the their raw materials is to safe to use per their specifications"

I presume "customer" = supplier.

The intention of a CoA is to show that the delivered product complies with (appropriate) specifications.

This requires (a) analytical lot data and (b) evidence of compliance, ie a specification with limits for the relevant parameters.

It is possible that you are studying a CoC which can be a less definitive document than a CoA. Sometimes, arguably,  too much less. :smile:

Whatever, there should be a mutually agreed / signed product specification. It's supplier 101.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

rfr429

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:12 AM