• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:09 PM

Hello Forum Members,

We have some expired Grapeseed oil in plastic bottles (1 liter and 3 liters) and Black Tea in consumer size bags. We are in the state of California and would like to dispose this product. What would be the best way to handle this? 

P.S: Currently our grain waste goes to feed industry but they have no use for Grapeseed oil and tea bags. 

Thank you,

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

Hello Forum Members,

We have some expired Grapeseed oil in plastic bottles (1 liter and 3 liters) and Black Tea in consumer size bags. We are in the state of California and would like to dispose this product. What would be the best way to handle this? 

P.S: Currently our grain waste goes to feed industry but they have no use for Grapeseed oil and tea bags. 

Thank you,

Dear Anki,

I deduce California is relevant.

Is this related to, i believe, Califonia's renowned sensitivity towards "contaminants" ? ie only a native of California will know the answer. ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ChocoTiger

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

Anki,

My facility is in California, so we deal with the same regulations. 

For the oil:

We have a grease trap, which gets serviced by an outside company as needed.  All maintenance oils are taken to a different facility.  I don't know if you have a grease trap, but if you do, talking to that company might be a good idea.  You could also talk to your Waste Disposal company, and see if they'll take the full bottles.  If all else fails, look on the State of California website (http://www.ca.gov/).  You also might talk to your CDFA inspector, if you have one.  They may be able to give you more specifics, because they would know your operation.

For the tea bags:

If the tea bags are consumer size (palm size or smaller)  I'm guessing you could just throw them in the garbage.  You might want to check with your CDFA inspector and/or the CA state website to be sure.

Dear Anki,

I deduce California is relevant.

Is this related to, i believe, Califonia's renowned sensitivity towards "contaminants" ? ie only a native of California will know the answer. ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles,

Anyone living or doing business in or with businesses in the state of California knows there are restrictive rules on many things, specifically related to the environment.  However, being a native of the Golden State is not a requirement for these activities or knowledge.  But, if it were, I'm  overqualified...  :shades:  (many generations back native Californian, current resident, and employed in CA).

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:20 AM

Dear ChocoTiger,

Many Thks yr prescriptive solution.

i deduce grapeseed oil is actually a by-product. i thought it was expired vegetable cooking oil.

I did wonder if  "Black Tea" was a local Code Name. Apparently not. Good to know.

I was intrigued by part © of the California Retail Food Code re: "grease traps" -

(a) If provided, a grease trap or grease interceptor shall not be located in a food or utensil handling area unless specifically approved by the enforcement agency.
   (b) Grease traps and grease interceptors shall be easily accessible for servicing.
   © Notwithstanding subdivision (a), those food facilities approved with a grease trap or grease interceptor that are in operation before the effective date of this part are not required to comply with this section.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Anki

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

Thank you, ChocoTiger. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

Aside from the legal and environmental questions of proper disposal there is the question of destroying the goods in a way that people do not go dumpster diving after it. Tea in paper tea bags would easily qualify to go into residential green barrel compost recycling bins here in the SF Bay Area, but a commercial concern like yours would be subject to different regulations. Bio-diesel fuel makers use all types of vegetable oils, but you would have to destroy the labels so that nobody could try and resell or donate the oil as food-grade.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

You can also donate it if it's past a best before date but still edible or sell it to a salvage shop

I used to live off salvage shops, so ... I'm a fan. 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Anki

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Thank you everyone.

clover

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hello Forum Members,

Thank you,

Hi Anki, 

perhaps give it to the oil collector who collects used oil ? You could exchange your oil for some cash. :)

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

Aside from the legal and environmental questions of proper disposal there is the question of destroying the goods in a way that people do not go dumpster diving after it. Tea in paper tea bags would easily qualify to go into residential green barrel compost recycling bins here in the SF Bay Area, but a commercial concern like yours would be subject to different regulations. Bio-diesel fuel makers use all types of vegetable oils, but you would have to destroy the labels so that nobody could try and resell or donate the oil as food-grade.

About to say the same thing but you got there first!  Biodeisel is an option for any oils and certainly used tea bags are composted domestically so it might be possible to do the same with these ones.  As others have said, if either is a fresh, unused product but simply past the best before date (not the use by date) UK law would still allow this to be used, e.g. for food banks but if it's waste oil or if legislation is different with yourselves, the food waste streams may be an alternative.

That said, I'm surprised a vegetable oil is seen as unusable for animal feed unless as I said before it is waste?  You would think it could be mixed in with other feed?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users