• Quick Navigation
Photo

Water Submersion Machine to Test Packaging and Seal Integrity?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SerenityNow!

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 7 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:50 AM

Hello Everyone,

Is there anyone that is currently using water submersion equipment to test packaging and seal integrity?  If so, can anyone provide me with recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Hi Lisa, is it possible to tell us what the end product is. For some applications testing of seal integrity is better done with a vacuum chamber...that is if the tests are completed with no product inside the sealed packs, otherwise SPLAT!

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

Is there anyone that is currently using water submersion equipment to test packaging and seal integrity?  If so, can anyone provide me with recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

you can use a vacuum chamber, which can do with a desiccator connected to a vacuum pump, and an indicator solution used to verify the integrity of the closure; you could use as an indicator methylene blue

Thanked by 1 Member:

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hi Lisa,

I tested the packaging integrity of coffee in heat sealed bags with a one-way valve that allows air out, but not in. It was a see-through acrylic tank of water. The tank lid had a silicone seal to assure no leaks. Our SOP was to pull a prescribed range of vacuum on the head space above the water in the tank and observe for bubbles coming from the bag seams, bag seam corners and valve. Our goal was to see that bubbles did come from the valve, but did NOT come from seams. After the bubble test, we then dried the bag and cut it open with scissors to inspect if any water got into the bag. For roasted coffee it is imperative that it be able to off-gas (without exploding the bag), but not permit any oxygen into the bag for the duration of the shelf-life. The units you use are bound to the installed vacuum gauge units. In our case the units and vacuum we pulled were prescribed in an SOP provided by our packaging film and one-way valve vendor. I would expect that whatever kind of product and package you aim to test, your packaging vendor ought to be able to provide an exacting SOP for how to perform the packaging integrity quality testing.

Kind regards

Thanked by 1 Member:

kelleypom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

We use a Haug tank (which for months I thought was a hog tank) :giggle:

Here's a link to info.

http://www.haugquali...kdetectors.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

SerenityNow!

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 7 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:46 AM

Thank you so much for your responses.  We will be testing various chocolate products which would be packaged in either flow wrappers of different sizes, plastic cannisters with twist on lids, pouch bags, and some form and fill products.

@kelleypom Thank you for the link, I requested and received a quote from Haug.

@xylough Thank you for describing the process as well as the reminder to get SOP from the packaging vendor.

As always, thanks to all in this wonderful forum!

dmomeyer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

I am looking for a USED Huag tank for checking the seals on individual wrapped bars.  Thanks!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users