Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

Has anyone had any customers getting their knickers in a twist about Bisphenol A in packaging materials?

The French seem to be getting the bit between their teeth about it.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

I had two major customers request a policy statement that we do not use any food contact materials containing Bisphenol A. In turn I then had to get confirmation documents from my packaging suppliers. Attached is a very recent paper from NIH presenting research implicating the replacements used in "Bisphenol A free" packaging are similarly as harmful as Bisphenol A.

Kind Regards

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

Lots of people have their knickers in a knot over this one.....not just the French.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

They do? So far only the French have banned it in close contact packaging in the EU. EU not happy about that either. More headaches for my clients... 

Attached Files

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

Some countries are odds with the latest conclusions made by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).

No consumer health risk from bisphenol A exposure

EFSA’s comprehensive re-evaluation of bisphenol A (BPA) exposure and toxicity concludes that BPA poses no health risk to consumers of any age group (including unborn children, infants and adolescents) at current exposure levels. Exposure from the diet or from a combination of sources (diet, dust, cosmetics and thermal paper) is considerably under the safe level (the “tolerable daily intake” or TDI).

Read full article >>

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Shyguy77

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 62 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Yes, about two, three years ago now our company started going BPA free with our packaging materials due to customer concerns. 

I've also read the article Simon is talking about in his above post, whether or not it will bring along changes it yet to be seen.

laurieb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Yes, we have had many customers inquirer about BPA. It's a hot topic here in on the west coast. Especially in reference to  bottled water or plastic water bottles. We had to  attain letters from all of our bottle suppliers confirming that they do not use Bisphenol A in the bottles that we purchase. Those letters have come in handy on multiple occasions. Because it is such a frequently asked question, we now mention it on our website.

ptbrauch

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

I get asked about this all the time and its standard for me to ask all suppliers and potential new suppliers to attest to the lack of BPA in all our materials.  

Also, if you want to get in front of it, verify all your materials are compliant with California Prop 65 and CONEG regulations as well.  Not to mention the FDA regs in 21 CFR. There's quite a few on packaging additives.  

And TNPP seems to be the next chemical du jour, for anyone who wants to get out in front of that.   

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users