• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

We're a Produce Distributor...

SQF 2.4.8 says "the responsibility and methods for releasing products shall be documented and implemented"

Does this mean that for every load that we take in, we have to state that particular products specification, who inspected it, and whether the product specs have been met or not?

Does anyone have an example of their own Product Release policy? 

Chris P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

I have had trouble addressing this section of SQF as well.. Hopefully someone is willing to show a practical way of satisfying the code.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

This is what sqfi has to say

What does it mean?

A product release program ensures that only compliant products are released to the market. The supplier must prepare a procedure outlining the responsibility and protocols for the release of products and effectively implement that procedure. At Level 3, this includes compliance with quality, including sensory, requirements.

Product release also applies to the procedures for releasing quarantined or held product (refer 2.4.6).

Refer also to 2.5.6 Product sampling, inspection, and analysis, 2.6.1 Product identification and 2.6.2 Product trace.

What do I have to do?

This element is mandatory.

A supplier may do this by outlining in-line process measures that demonstrate that products are compliant with specified requirements. In this procedure, the supplier will identify those personnel responsible for collecting samples and carrying out inspections, or ensuring that inspections are carried out, and the methods for doing so.

The product release procedure not only applies to positive release of compliant products, the supplier must also outline the procedure for releasing products from quarantine or hold status.

In all cases, the supplier shall identify those staff positions with responsibility for releasing products and indicate the action they will take when results are outside specification, including reference to other procedures for holding, reworking or disposing of product.

The supplier must ensure that:

• All products are confirmed as compliant before release to the market;

• All staff are familiar with product release procedures and that personnel authorized to release product are aware of their responsibilities; and that

• All products under quarantine or hold status are released by authorized personnel only after the product has successfully passed inspection.

All products released for distribution must have records maintained. These records should record the product name and identification, confirmation of product checks, and the product disposition (e.g., release, quarantine, hold).

Products released from hold must also be recorded. Records must include the amount of product that was held and the reason for the hold. Records should be reviewed routinely to ensure that holds are closed out. Any

product that is still on-hold must be physically or visually verifiable.

Evidence may include:

• Review of product release procedure;

• Review of product release records;

• Understanding of personnel responsible for release, quarantine and hold of product release procedures;

• Visual confirmation and follow-up on held or quarantined product.

This is what I have to say:

Beyond making your SOP, On your receiving log have an area that ask if it meets product spec, temperature, COA...etc.etc. Make a product spec for everything, train QA and production on the product specs, make sure while production is producing they have the product spec readily available, make a form on finished product outlining specific parameters for QA to fill in, have a verification step for you to sign off, have HOLD TAGS, make a hold log with a release column for who releases why it was put on hold when was it put on hold by whom was it placed on hold who was notified when was it released or discarded, have a hold area, who was notified of the release, have a trained sensory panel that reviews parameters of aesthetics and or flavor, your CCP records are reviewed daily before product is shipped out, I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but that's more or less the idea, making someone is verifying you actually giving your customer what they're asking for as in your management commitment policy should state.

Thanked by 4 Members:

MRCRSHART

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

RG3 -- Thanks a lot!  We have a Daily Receiving Log where we confirm Temps, Clean Trucks, etc....but adding a column for "does product meet all specs" sounds like a great idea...

the harder part comes to explaining what "all specs" means...we have over a thousand customers whom all have their own specs...ugh...lol...

thanks again!

Chizzyo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

RG3,

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. I am currently working on a product release program for my company and the points you raise here just made my job a lot easier.

Gracias!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users