Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 27 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:43 AM

Does anyone have a list of all the risk assessments that are required under BRC Issue 7 and referenced against the clause number?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

Does anyone have a list of all the risk assessments that are required under BRC Issue 7 and referenced against the clause number?

There ia a thread for BRC6, but afai recall nothing yet for "7" yet.

I guess one approximate route is to search the standard for text appearances of "RA".

for BRC6, from memory, the (mandatory) total was ca.10-15

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

C.Arsenault

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 32 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:22 AM

Hi Harminnie

I have attached a list of risk assessments for BRC Issue 7.

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hi C.Arsenault

Many thks for yr helpful document. Must have been a laborious task.

Is yr copy of BRC7 in UK English ? I ask because there seem to be some numbering/textual mismatches with my own copy. (see below). I wondered if the language versions are all mutually compatible.

After doing some searching via key phrases I agree with the vast majority of your listed items (and there sure are a lot !, 30+ and counting !).

The only reservations / “mismatches” I noticed are listed below although I am certain some possibilities have still to be found thanks to BRC’s  magnetic fascination with risk assessments.

3.5.1.2 - absent

3.5.2.1 - maybe pre-empted by 3.5.1.2

4.10.1.1 - maybe subjective

4.11.1 - text not match standard

4.11.2 - absent

4.13.1 - text not match standard

4.13.8 - clause not exist

4.14.2 - absent

4.3.5 - text not match standard

4.3.6 - text not match standard

Regardless of above, it’s a fantastic job. :thumbup:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

C.Arsenault

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 32 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

Hi Charles C,

The version of BRC Issue 7 I use is the North American version. That would probably explain the textual mismatches you observed.

Regards

C.Arsenault

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

Interesting.  If true, one might suspect that BRC have also somewhat dropped the ball in their global quest. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

C.Arsenault

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 32 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:42 PM

After further review it appears I have miss numbered some of the elements on my list....Any idea how I can delete my post as I would not want to provide misleading and incorrect information. Caution to members who may have already reviewed this listing.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

No problem. Just re-upload a revised version when available. That's what revisions are for. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

C.Arsenault

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 32 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Please note I have made revisions to the Risk Assessment List I had previously posted. Please note this is a  working copy and I may at times abbreviate the requirements and I also use the Interpretation Guidelines for BRC Issue 7 for further clarifications.

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thks for the up-date.

AFAIK, there is no stipulation in the BRC Standard that the user of the Standard must also respond to the info. contained in the Guidelines. Similarly, I anticipate that BRC are equally not obliged to automatically accept a response which is nominally in compliance with the Guidelines. (SQF carefully state such a caveat in their Code, and indeed well follow their own advice).

For example consider clause 4.7.1. The Code (at least in my UK version) makes no mention of a RA. So it is surely nonsensical that the BRC Guideline contains the word "must" preceding their newly added  requirement of an RA.

Of course i might be a little more understanding if the Guidelines were free. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

thanks for revision C.Arsenault 

Regards

Satya

Bhawani Gorti

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 48 posts
  • 23 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food safety and compliance expert

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

Thanks. useful to keep track of changes in version 7.0 compare to 6.0

B T Gorti
food safety and compliance expert

Skype id-Saradiro Services
website-www.saradiro.com

zee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

Please note I have made revisions to the Risk Assessment List I had previously posted. Please note this is a  working copy and I may at times abbreviate the requirements and I also use the Interpretation Guidelines for BRC Issue 7 for further clarifications.

Thank you!  Very handy to have this as a checklist  :biggrin:

TomLovesStarch

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

Thanks, very useful :)

mark0102

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:30 AM

I think you've missed clause 3.5.1.2 which says that approval procedure for suppliers shall be based on risk. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Great job anyway. Very useful. Thanks a lot :)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

I think you've missed clause 3.5.1.2 which says that approval procedure for suppliers shall be based on risk. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Great job anyway. Very useful. Thanks a lot :)

See post #4

BTW - Welcome to the Forum !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mark0102

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

See post #4

BTW - Welcome to the Forum !

Oh yeah missed that sorry.

And thanks!

Sheilag

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:40 PM

This is very much appreciated - 1st day of hearing about this forum/site and great find!

ennyk

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Kiribati
    Kiribati

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:01 AM

Hi all;

thanks for this people, just had a BRC audit last week, and was got flagged for several things on the list for not doing risk assessment, some of which i remember, are approved suppliers, raw materials and packaging materials (which i thought we did this in HACCP), and frequency of external microbial analysis, and facility layout of high, low, high care risk areas.

this list will help me on track for others.

Thanks everyone, really helpful.

npratt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

I participated in a BRC Issue 7 training a few weeks ago and the course leader was adamant there were only 28 required risk assessments.

I too appreciate the list, but I'm wondering where this specific 28 comes from....I found 30 plus, similar to the list posted.

Good luck to all going thru this process.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

I participated in a BRC Issue 7 training a few weeks ago and the course leader was adamant there were only 28 required risk assessments.

I too appreciate the list, but I'm wondering where this specific 28 comes from....I found 30 plus, similar to the list posted.

Good luck to all going thru this process.

Hi npratt,

There is inevitably some subjectivity, eg Risk-Averseness. :smile:

Based on my interpretation of the excel sheet attached in post 9  I calculate the Best Case scenario = 31 "RA"s as listed in excel attached below which further borrows the excellent compilation due to C.Arsenault.

Any errors in the expanded columns E,G and the variously  added blue text are totally due to me.

Attached File  Risk Assessment List -BRC7.xls   40KB   480 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hi npratt,

There is inevitably some subjectivity, eg Risk-Averseness. :smile:

Based on my interpretation of the excel sheet attached in post 9  I calculate the Best Case scenario = 31 "RA"s as listed in excel attached below which further borrows the excellent compilation due to C.Arsenault.

Any errors in the expanded columns E,G and the variously  added blue text are totally due to me.

attachicon.gifRisk Assessment List -BRC7.xls

im fairly new to this forum, had a lot of help from people like charles.c and felt i should volunteer my 2 cents or 2p in my case.

the standard (uk version) talks a lot about assessing the risk of something, now auditors will and can only audit against the standards clauses not the interpretation guideline. With this in mind im very cautious of the wording in most cases because if the clause says something like " there shall be a documented risk assessment" vs " approval will be based on risk" i read this as saying a) there shall be a documented risk assessment in which case il document a risk assessment and b) based on risk well as a foody i risk everything i see mentally and take appropriate action, it does not to me mean i need to create a risk assessment and document it.

If that even makes the slightest bit of sense? of course evidence is what an auditor requires and its this that would be hard to provide if it wasn't by default documented LOL

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

im fairly new to this forum, had a lot of help from people like charles.c and felt i should volunteer my 2 cents or 2p in my case.

the standard (uk version) talks a lot about assessing the risk of something, now auditors will and can only audit against the standards clauses not the interpretation guideline. With this in mind im very cautious of the wording in most cases because if the clause says something like " there shall be a documented risk assessment" vs " approval will be based on risk" i read this as saying a) there shall be a documented risk assessment in which case il document a risk assessment and b) based on risk well as a foody i risk everything i see mentally and take appropriate action, it does not to me mean i need to create a risk assessment and document it.

If that even makes the slightest bit of sense? of course evidence is what an auditor requires and its this that would be hard to provide if it wasn't by default documented LOL

Hi David,

Indeed a literal focus on the word "documented" has been an axiom of arguments which have resounded in ISO 9000 forums since time immemorial.

An auditee's rejoinder  of "Show me where the the standard says it has to be documented" to an ISO 9001 auditor's request for written evidence has afaik survived  the test of time.

Unfortunately FS auditors do not appear to adhere to ISO-based conventions and adjust their rules as they move around. More carnivorous stock perhaps.

Caveat emptor.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:27 PM

I took a good look at the file and it makes me wonder what if?

What if the clause says nothing about risk asessment but the interpretation says that if something is not avaialble then it shall be risk asessed.

If i have not done a RA and i ask auditor to show me where it says i must even though its in the interpretation, will he raise non-conformity for lack of understanding of the standards intentof that section?

Raises the reality that potentially you could end up with a fundamental if this is hit in one of those sections.

makes me think that perhaps SOD the standard and audit my self on the interperetation LOL...

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hi David,

Don't forget that, afaik, the auditor has to provide an itemized  list of nonconformance justifications within the paragraph context of the Standard. IMO the logical time to challenge significant bones of contention is at the time of the audit, strangely a lot of people don't seem to do this. Unless you've clearly already achieved yr target result of course. :smile:

I think you will find there are some definite, albeit not widely distributed, regulations regarding (certified) audits/auditorial procedure. This, afaik, is ultimately the responsibility of the Accreditation Body who theoretically assess the performance of CBs via scrutiny of all the NC lists/responses.  Perhaps the mass of detail in the Standard regarding  audit procedural structure mentions such things, don't think i ever got past the opening/ending pages.

If you wish for a comparative example (precedent?), SQF do provide a free detailed Guidance for their Standard.  But they carefully include some small print in the Standard that in the event of any conflict between Guidance and Standard, the text in the latter supercedes.

(Unfortunately examples posted on this forum demonstrate that occasionally auditors diverge from both the previous routes. SOD's Law?.)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users