Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

To any poultry processors, I have been told that i need to handle eggs as a chemical hazard. Can anyone share how they control this as a hazard? I can simply label all produc t with " Contains eggs"....but other than that I'm at a loss. 

We do not use water chilling, but tools and machinery go into each carcass so even if there is only one egg all day, there is a chance that everything is "contaminated"

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

To any poultry processors, I have been told that i need to handle eggs as a chemical hazard. Can anyone share how they control this as a hazard? I can simply label all produc t with " Contains eggs"....but other than that I'm at a loss. 

We do not use water chilling, but tools and machinery go into each carcass so even if there is only one egg all day, there is a chance that everything is "contaminated"

hi scampi,

I suggest you ask yr information source  (competitor?) as to which particular chemical is regarded as the hazard.

You don't spray yr eggs with anything by any chance ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

Charles, I should have been clearer. Its broken imature eggs inside the carcass i am referring to

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Charles, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, this is a question regarding declaring egg as an allergen in raw chicken.

Scampi are the carcasses washed? Never seen any egg allergen warnings on raw chicken, who told you this and did they mean that you need to consider it as a hazard?

Regards,

Tony

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

Because we process some breeders also called spent laying hens, they are more mature and everyone will have an egg at some point of its development within the abdomen. Yep' carcasses are washed, but now I'm being told its not enough......we knew this was coming seeing as 95% of recalls are due to undeclared allergens, but this is a naturally occurring product, not an ingredient so I think they've gone too far, most people who are allergic to eggs have the good sense to avoid poultry of any kind. Apparently here in Canada it is now considered a chemical hazard as any "substance" is a chemical hazard even when it's not introduced.....

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Because we process some breeders also called spent laying hens, they are more mature and everyone will have an egg at some point of its development within the abdomen. Yep' carcasses are washed, but now I'm being told its not enough......we knew this was coming seeing as 95% of recalls are due to undeclared allergens, but this is a naturally occurring product, not an ingredient so I think they've gone too far, most people who are allergic to eggs have the good sense to avoid poultry of any kind. Apparently here in Canada it is now considered a chemical hazard as any "substance" is a chemical hazard even when it's not introduced.....

Hi Tony,

i don't think I was even touching the stick. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

Because we process some breeders also called spent laying hens, they are more mature and everyone will have an egg at some point of its development within the abdomen.

So now we see a much better explanation of your situation!

You might need to declare eggs as a possible allergen for these products and produce them last before a full clean down after which you will need to validate.

Personally I wouldn't be impressed if I bought a 'spent laying hen' thinking it was a 'fresh chicken', although I probably have done !

Regards,

Tony

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:16 PM

Lol Tony, I think you'd have noticed, there pretty tough and not real pretty to look at. Kinda like a capon is a mature(old) male, which I wouldn't want to eat either! But yes, someone has probably tried to sneak it through. We process them for animal feed

Bryan123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

We have had to use the precautionary declaration " may contain egg" for all fowl meat, even though our allergen swabs do not pick it up.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users