Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

Is there a quick reference that can convert the PRP bullet(s) to it's BRC clause(s) equivilent? I'm preparing for an initial certification under BRC Issue 7 and would like to utilize my existing documentation as much as possible.

Some are straight forward conversions ( PRP 1.1 to BRC 4.1) but others are to grey or up for interpretation.

Can somebody please help?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi Miller GD,

:welcome:

I'm not sure what your question is about, maybe you are trying to number your documents to match the clauses of the BRC standard? Please clarify what the PRP 1.1 is that you refer to? Prerequisites for site external standards?

GLOBAL STANDARD FOOD SAFETY ISSUE 7 INTERPRETATION GUIDELINE
3.1.1 Interpretation - The food safety and quality manual
There is no requirement for sites to have a quality manual which is numbered in accordance with the BRC Standard numbering system.

Some BRC site still do it as it assists in identifying compliance with the BRC standard.

Regards,

Tony

Miller GD

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

Tony, in my example above I am using the PRP (FSEP) 1.1 for External Premises and matching it to BRC 4.1 External Standards. This way I can reference my existing records/procedures and/or know which PRP docs I need to update to BRC Requirements. Think of it like a cheat sheet:

"BRC Clause 'A.B' links to PRP Bullet 'C.D'"

I want to utilize my existing, certified food safety system without having to reinvent the wheel for BRC.

I have one for SQF Module 11 that I made up (see below), but need one for BRC to help speed it along; otherwise, I will just make one up after I complete my BRC manual like I did for SQF lol!

SQF ( Module 11) FSEP 11.1 Site Requirements and Approval Premises A.1.1.1 11.1.1 Premises Location.                                          11.1.2 Construction and Operational Approval  Premises A.2.1.1 11.2 Construction and Control of Product Handling and Storage Areas           11.2.1 Materials and Surfaces  11.2.2 Floors, Drains and Waste Traps                                                             11.2.3 Walls, Partitions, Doors and Ceilings  Premises A.2.1.2 11.2.4 Stairs, Catwalks and Platforms.  11.2.5 Lighting and Light Fittings                                                               Lightning A.2.2 11.2.6 Inspection Area                                                                                 Lightning A.2.2.1 11.2.7 Dust, Fly and Vermin Proofing                           Premises A.2.1.1; Pest Control E.2.1.1 11.2.8 Ventilation                                                                                  Ventilation A.2.3.1 11.2.9 Premises and Equipment Maintenance.  Equipment Maintenance and Calibration C.1.2.1 11.2.10 Calibration                                            Equipment Maintenance and Calibration C.1.2.2 11.2.11 Management of Pests and Vermin.                                          Pest Control E.2.1.1 11.2.12 Equipment, Utensils and Protective Clothing                      Equipment C.1.1.1; Personnel D.2.1.1 11.2.13 Cleaning and Sanitation   Sanitation E.1.1.1 11.3 Personnel Hygiene and Welfare.          Personnel D.2.1.1;  General Food Hygiene Training 11.3.1 Personnel                                                                               11.3.2 Hand Washing                         11.3.3 Clothing                                                                 General Food Hygiene Program D.2.1.1 11.3.4 Jewellery and Personal Effects  11.3.5 Visitors                                                          11.3.6 Staff Amenities                                 Employees Facilities A.3.1.2 11.3.7 Change Rooms                                                                             11.3.8 Laundry  11.3.9 Sanitary Facilities.                              Employees Facilities A.3.1.1-A.3.1.2/ Building A.2.1.1 11.3.10 Lunch Rooms  Employees Facilities A.3.1.2 11.3.11 First Aid General Food Hygiene Program D.2.1.1 11.4 Personnel Processing Practices                           11.4.1 Staff Engaged in Food Handling and Processing Operations  11.5 Water, Ice and Air Supply                  Water/Ice/Steam Quality, Protection and Supply A.4.1.1 11.5.1 Water Supply   11.5.2 Monitoring Water Microbiology and Quality.  11.5.3 Water Delivery.  11.5.4 Water Treatment   Water/Ice/Steam Quality, Protection and Supply    A.4.1.2  11.5.5 Ice Supply.  Water/Ice/Steam Quality, Protection and Supply A.4.1.1 11.5.6 Analysis.  11.5.7 Air Quality                                                                                    Ventilation A.2.3.2 11.6 Storage and Transport.                                                                    Cold Storage B.2.2.1; Storage B.2.2.2 11.6.1 Cold Storage, Freezing and Chilling of Foods.  Cold Storage B.2.2.1 11.6.2 Storage of Dry Ingredients, Packaging, and Shelf Stable Packaged Goods   Storage B.2.2.2 11.6.3 Storage of Equipment and Containers.    11.6.4 Storage of Hazardous Chemicals and Toxic Substances  Storage B.2.2.3 11.6.5 Alternative Storage and Handling of Goods. NA 11.6.6 Loading, Transport and Unloading Practices Transportation B.1.1.1 11.6.7 Loading.  Carriers Loading and unloading B.1.1.2 11.6.8 Transport.  Food Carriers B.1.1.1 11.6.9 Unloading Carriers Loading and unloading B.1.1.2 11.7 Separation of Functions  HACCP Plan 3.2 11.7.1 Process Flow.                                                                           HACCP Plan 3.2 (FSEP Form 3) 11.7.2 Receipt of Raw and Packaging Materials and Ingredients.  Purchasing/Receiving/Shipping B.2.1.3 11.7.3 Thawing of Food.  NA 11.7.4 High Risk Processes  HACCP Plan 11.7.5 Control of Foreign Matter Contamination           Foreign Material Control Program G.2.1.1; G.2.1.2 11.7.6 Detection of Foreign Objects- Foreign Material Control Program G.2.1    Equipment C.1.2 11.7.7 Managing Foreign Matter Contamination Incidents.  Foreign Material Control Program G.2.1 11.8 On-Site Laboratories  N/A 11.9 Waste Disposal                                          Waste and Inedible/Food Waste Disposal A.2.4.1 11.9.1 Dry and Liquid Waste Disposal.  11.10 Exterior  Outside Property A.1.1.1 11.10.1 Grounds and Roadways..

Miller GD

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

Oops, cut/paste of Excel did not work well!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Don't worry, I get the picture!

BRC Global Standard Food Safety Issue 7 Sections/Clauses:

1 SENIOR MANAGEMENT COMMITMENT
1.1 Senior management commitment and continual improvement
1.2 Organisational structure, responsibilities and management authority
2 THE FOOD SAFETY PLAN – HACCP
2.1 The HACCP food safety team – Codex Alimentarius Step 1
2.2 Prerequisite programmes
2.3 Describe the product – Codex Alimentarius Step 2
2.4 Identify intended use – Codex Alimentarius Step 3
2.5 Construct a process fl ow diagram – Codex Alimentarius Step 4
2.6 Verify fl ow diagram – Codex Alimentarius Step 5
2.7 List all potential hazards associated with each process step, conduct a hazard analysis and consider any measures to control identified hazards – Codex Alimentarius Step 6, Principle 1
2.8 Determine the critical control points (CCPs) – Codex Alimentarius Step 7, Principle 2
2.9 Establish critical limits for each CCP – Codex Alimentarius Step 8, Principle 3
2.10 Establish a monitoring system for each CCP – Codex Alimentarius Step 9, Principle 4
2.11 Establish a corrective action plan – Codex Alimentarius Step 10, Principle 5
2.12 Establish verification procedures – Codex Alimentarius Step 11, Principle 6
2.13 HACCP documentation and record keeping – Codex Alimentarius Step 12, Principle 7
2.14 Review the HACCP plan
3 FOOD SAFETY AND QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
3.1 Food safety and quality manual
3.2 Documentation control
3.3 Record completion and maintenance
3.4 Internal audits
3.5 Supplier and raw material approval and performance monitoring
3.6 Specifications
3.7 Corrective and preventive actions
3.8 Control of non-conforming product
3.9 Traceability
3.10 Complaint handling
3.11 Management of incidents, product withdrawal and product recall
3.12 Customer focus and communication
4 SITE STANDARDS
4.1 External standards
4.2 Security
4.3 Layout, product flow and segregation
4.4 Building fabric, raw material handling, preparation, processing, packing and storage areas
4.5 Utilities – water, ice, air and other gases
4.6 Equipment
4.7 Maintenance
4.8 Staff facilities
4.9 Chemical and physical product contamination control Raw material handling, preparation, processing, packing and storage areas
4.10 Foreign-body detection and removal equipment
4.11 Housekeeping and hygiene
4.12 Waste/waste disposal
4.13 Management of surplus food and products for animal feed
4.14 Pest control
4.15 Storage facilities
4.16 Dispatch and transport
5 PRODUCT CONTROL
5.1 Product design/development
5.2 Product labelling
5.3 Management of allergens
5.4 Product authenticity, claims and chain of custody
5.5 Product packaging
5.6 Product inspection and laboratory testing
5.7 Product release
6 PROCESS CONTROL
6.1 Control of operations
6.2 Labelling and pack control
6.3 Quantity – weight, volume and number control
6.4 Calibration and control of measuring and monitoring devices
7 PERSONNEL
7.1 Training: raw material handling, preparation, processing, packing and storage areas
7.2 Personal hygiene: raw material handling, preparation, processing, packing and storage areas
7.3 Medical screening
7.4 Protective clothing: employees or visitors to production areas

Regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hi MIller,

Just in case any other readers can help -

I deduce you are seeking a cross-matrix between FSEP of CFIA (Canada) and BRC7 which in it's initial (totally useless :smile: ) stage will look something like this -

Attached File  cross-matrix.xls   15.5KB   253 downloads

The bullets are presumably, laboriously, listed from -

Attached File  food_fsep_man_1343667674768_eng.pdf   422.92KB   270 downloads

There are many cross-ms on this forum but, sadly, cannot  recall anything for FSEP. I presume you have searched already.

I admire your devotion to the cause. :thumbup:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Miller GD

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hi MIller,

Just in case any other readers can help -

I deduce you are seeking a cross-matrix between FSEP of CFIA (Canada) and BRC7 which in it's initial (totally useless :smile: ) stage will look something like this -

attachicon.gifcross-matrix.xls

The bullets are presumably, laboriously, listed from -

attachicon.giffood_fsep_man_1343667674768_eng.pdf

There are many cross-ms on this forum but, sadly, cannot  recall anything for FSEP. I presume you have searched already.

I admire your devotion to the cause. :thumbup:

Yes, that is the wording..."cross matrix". If only somebody had Section 3 Bullets of FSEP matching with BRC 7 Clauses I can easily reverse engineer my BRC documents to reference the appropriate FSEP documents!

IFSQN should package this idea :spoton: do it for all non-GFSI standard programs to GFSI standard programs!

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

Did you ever receive a response?  I have built a cross reference for my BRC but it does not include just FSEP, there are sections of BRC outside the CFIA scope.  I basically took each BRC requirement and figured out how we would respond to the question during the audit.  Almost like doing an internal audit, which of course is a BRC requirement.  I could put mine up but it would make no sense as there are names of our procedures associated with answers,

Miller GD

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

Did you ever receive a response?  I have built a cross reference for my BRC but it does not include just FSEP, there are sections of BRC outside the CFIA scope.  I basically took each BRC requirement and figured out how we would respond to the question during the audit.  Almost like doing an internal audit, which of course is a BRC requirement.  I could put mine up but it would make no sense as there are names of our procedures associated with answers,

I have built a FSEP to BRC cross-matrix with my HACCP team's help; it works for our product.

I guess it is just the difference between plans - SQF was laid out better (Module system) but lots of grey areas open to auditor/management intrepretation, BRC is not as organized but has few to no grey areas. "Ya take the good, ya take the bad..."

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users