• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

Hi everyone,

Really pleased to share this space with highly reputed and professional Audiotrs and QA. I am a QA intern (doing Masters) and have been assisting my supervisor for SQF level 3. As part of Quality characteristics we include things like packaging damage,color, size ,weight etc., Apart from this can we include the sensory aspects of the product as part of this? And also, few things are subjective to sensory and how could we put up critical limits if it is a QCP? Please give your thoughts. And also, how do you separate the quality threats into Biological, Chemical and Physical?

Sorry if my question is shallow. It would be a learning experience for me . Please guide me with your suggestions.

Many Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:02 AM

Hi vyassqf,

Tkank you for yr query and Welcome to the Forum !

PS - i deleted yr duplicate post. Pls try and avoid double posting, it causes confusion. Thks.

PPS - as you already determined, this thread is a good intro -

http://www.ifsqn.com...l-3/#entry88139

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:52 AM

As part of Quality characteristics we include things like packaging damage,color, size ,weight etc., Apart from this can we include the sensory aspects of the product as part of this?

It may depend on definitions and i am not a SQF user but IMEX, "weight" is not usually a "Quality" factor. Or size.*** (BUT SEE BELOW, NOTABLY LEGALITY)

Sensory factors (OLQ) are.

And also, how do you separate the quality threats into Biological, Chemical and Physical?

Presumably the same way you handle Safety-related hazards.

As a starting point i suggest you consult the Product Specification which is usually already divided into the 3 categories and should include the most important Safety/non-Safety/Legality parameters. A complete analysis will involve study/Risk(Quality) Assessment of the steps in the flowchart regarding the process context,  just like HACCP(Safety).

And also, few things are subjective to sensory and how could we put up critical limits if it is a QCP

It will depend on the specific items and the product.

From the Guidance -

SQF Level 3 – Food Quality Plan
Level 3 incorporates all Level 1 and Level 2 System requirements. At this level, the supplier is also required to use and approved HACCP methodology to identify and assess food quality hazards and document the action (s) taken to eliminate, reduce or prevent their occurrence.  Quality hazards and their controls can be included in the same HACCP study as performed for food safety hazards, or can be documented separately.  However, if incorporated food safety hazards and their controls must be clearly distinguished from food quality hazards.

The SQF Code, edition 7 requires at Level 3, that the HACCP method be used to identify and control quality hazards as well as food safety hazards.  Thus a HACCP Plan must be developed using the Codex or NACMCF method that identifies all food quality hazards, conducts a hazard analysis and implements measures to control identified quality hazards.   
It is important to note that, for Level 3 certification, ALL quality hazards must be controlled using the HACCP method.  Food quality hazards may include product weight, product count, size, color, moisture, defects, viscosity, head space, dwell time, batter pick-up, drain weight, free fatty acid concentration, salt level, packaging integrity and coding.

Food Quality Plan       As described in level 3 of the relevant SQF Code. It shall be based on the HACCP method, include process controls at quality points in production to monitor product quality, identify deviations from control parameters and define corrections necessary to keep the process under co

2.4.4.1  (M)   A   food   quality   plan   shall   be developed,      effectively      implemented,      and maintained in accordance with the HACCP method to  outline  the  means  by  which  the  organization controls and assures food quality and legality.  The food quality plan shall:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ChocoTiger

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hi everyone,

Really pleased to share this space with highly reputed and professional Audiotrs and QA. I am a QA intern (doing Masters) and have been assisting my supervisor for SQF level 3. As part of Quality characteristics we include things like packaging damage,color, size ,weight etc., Apart from this can we include the sensory aspects of the product as part of this? And also, few things are subjective to sensory and how could we put up critical limits if it is a QCP? Please give your thoughts. And also, how do you separate the quality threats into Biological, Chemical and Physical?

Sorry if my question is shallow. It would be a learning experience for me . Please guide me with your suggestions.

Many Thanks

vyassqf,

In the Food Safety Plan (HACCP), the identified hazards are categorized into Biological, Chemical and Physical.  In a Food Quality Plan, the hazard is Quality.  You can use sensory evaluations of the product as a CQP.  As far as setting up a Sensory CQP, you could assign a Pass/Fail "grade" to the sensory evaluations.  If a product passes the sensory evaluation, then it is in compliance with the CQP.  Weight IS a viable CQP.  Most SQF Level 3 leaning plants use weight as a starting CQP, as it is the simplest to monitor (since most are monitoring it to begin with).  Product weight can also be the first indicator of an issue with batching/mixing, because the weight of the finished product may be noticeably outside the margin of allowable error.

The SQF Code, edition 7 requires at Level 3, that the HACCP method be used to identify and control quality hazards as well as food safety hazards.  Thus a HACCP Plan must be developed using the Codex or NACMCF method that identifies all food quality hazards, conducts a hazard analysis and implements measures to control identified quality hazards.   
It is important to note that, for Level 3 certification, ALL quality hazards must be controlled using the HACCP method.  Food quality hazards may include product weight, product count, size, color, moisture, defects, viscosity, head space, dwell time, batter pick-up, drain weight, free fatty acid concentration, salt level, packaging integrity and coding.

Charles,

The above quote you posted mentions product weight, product count and size as viable QUALITY hazards...This is from the most recent SQF Code, therefore these items, and the others mentioned, are acceptable quality hazards to SQFi.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

Hi ChocoTiger,

Thanks for yr correction of my misinterpretation of SQF Level 3. The hazard of the non-User. :smile:  Just as an unrelated comparison, IMEX of auditing Shipped Goods the typical L/C requirement is for Certification of Weight and Quality. Horses for Courses.

I have to say that I find it difficult to interpret the Code’s 2.4.4.1 as other than  implying that “quality and legality” are 2 separate issues.

I deduce that legal (“Quality”) factors are regarded as an SQF “Quality hazard” (also see below).

It’s a shame that the SQF Code offers no Glossary definitions for “Hazard”, “CCP”, “CQP”, “Critical Limit”,  “Quality”, or “Quality Hazard”. The SQF Guidance is an excellent compilation but permanently caveatted by its non-binding to SQF and (possibly) by slow updates.

There is an analogous discussion over “extended” HACCPs  like SQFLv3 with respect to the Woolworths WQA Standard here –

http://www.ifsqn.com...rd-–-version-5/

The OP may find some of these (updated) Woolworths definitions to be useful although not guaranteed to match SQF’s interpretation/requirements.

HAZARD - Any physical, chemical, microbiological or quality property that can alter, taint, damage or render useless, any critical property of a product or process, which may result in a risk to health and safety, or quality deterioration.
QUALITY - A product or service that consistently meets the requirements of the customer and the product specification.
CRITICAL CONTROL POINT - Any process point where loss of control leads to an unacceptable risk.
CRITICAL LIMIT - Prescribed  tolerances  that  shall  not  be  exceeded  to  ensure  that  the  critical control  point  effectively  controls  the  identified  hazard.  Can  also  apply  to ensuring that the customers specified requirements are met for quality.

QUALITY   CRITICAL POINT - A defined point in a process where loss of control could lead to the product being outside the specification.

(I deduce legal/Regulatory factors for “Quality” are included within “critical property” in the hazard def.)

as a side-note, it's interesting to note that the BRC standard also includes weight control, legality issues but  reserves “hazard” to its Codex Safety origins and avoids terminologies like  “Quality Plans”.

As per WQA, The BRC definition of “Quality” is “Meeting the customer’s specification and expectation.”

Furthermore, and unlike both SQF and WQA,  BRC boldly provides a definition of “Legality” – “In compliance with the law in the place of production and in the countries where the product(s) is/are intended to be sold.”

This definition has a potential scope of considerable width, especially when including non-safety issues. Nonetheless, in practice, BRC seem to de-emphasise the latter other than their directed focus on weight, volume etc. (Owners of the Interpretation Guidelines may know more on this aspect :smile:  )

Hopefully the OP is now not more confused. The problem is that, IMO, none of the above Standards are (unintentionally or otherwise) adequately transparent. In some aspects the only arbiter is audit experience. And this Forum of course. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ChocoTiger

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

Charles,

The determination of CQPs is a qualitative and quantitative activity specific and unique to each individual facility, similar to the determination of CCPs for HACCP Plans.  In addition, since SQF Level 3 Certification is mostly customer-driven (i.e. requested) at this point, the customer's input will also play a role in the determination and number of CQPs.

Seeking out fellow SQF folks on message boards such as this, as well as enlisting the help of SQF Certified Consultants are also useful tools.

If you haven't noticed throughout history, we Americans do things different, including our food safety certifications...Hence the differences between BRC and SQF. 

I've dealt with SQF over the past year, and after going through several pre-assessment audits and 2 certification audits, things have become clearer.  Clarity comes with real life experience, not just reading about it. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:25 PM