• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

Hi All

Over the past few years I have been stunned by the huge holes I have found in systems within established businesses. Despite this, they happily sail through BRC audits with a few minors and an A grade.

Obviously a lot of these are low risk, but it still proves infuriating when trying to drive continuous improvement. Its a culture thing sometimes, but the audits don't help. Anyone got any experience of this? How did you confront it?

In addition- can anyone recommend an auditing body that will challenge appropriately? Already tried SAI...

Be interested to see the response!

Cheers

Loni Banaszak

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Animals, Garage Sales, Tea Cups, Antiques and Disney

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

Question.......

In the BRC world (I'm from the SQF world) do your auditors change every 3 years? That would help with the Auditor possibly becoming complacent.

I used to work for a company who was ISO certified and ISO does not require you to change auditors so we had had the same auditor for like 10 years, By the time I left the company the Audits had become a breeze!

Just a Thought!

Thanks,

Loni

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

Question.......

In the BRC world (I'm from the SQF world) do your auditors change every 3 years? That would help with the Auditor possibly becoming complacent.

I used to work for a company who was ISO certified and ISO does not require you to change auditors so we had had the same auditor for like 10 years, By the time I left the company the Audits had become a breeze!

Just a Thought!

Same for BRC

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

Same for BRC

every 3 years

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

The BRC audit is a snap shot of a site on a particular day.... a day for which they have prepared, unless they are totally unannounced. The issue is you don't know what is going to pop up during that 48 hrs ( usually) like the leak which started just as the auditor walked onto the production floor last tuesday morning .... and I KNOW it wasn't there before teabreak....

To do a thorough audit of BRC you'd need at least 3 days ( for 3 HACCP plans like my client has), but that's not feasible I suppose. We had a good and thorough audit , a lot depends on the auditor and what they see that might make them want to delve deeper...

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:06 AM

Let's not forget that auditors are real people, and as such, have a tendency to focus on certain things...like the stuff that bit them in the butt when they had real jobs. Know those items, and things go smoother.

KTD

Thanked by 1 Member:

ads78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

I am going to start with this...

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

I am going to start with this...

Hi ads,

thks for attachment.

A little nitpick –

Slide 4

This must be in place to produce safe food - We are legally accountable under Food Safety Act 1990 to exercise due diligence

This statement is perhaps an example of "the glass half empty" viewpoint.

For the other half -

Attached File  the food safety act 1990 – a guide for food businesses (2009).pdf   233.07KB   50 downloads

(see page 14 et al)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

marnac

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:reading, gardening, cycling

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

I have been through both SQF and BRC and the strength of the audit lies with the auditor.  I have had an auditor that was present for 3rd shift sanitation and back for preop in the morning as well as an auditor that hardly left the conference room.  Anything the CBs can do to standardize the auditors would provide a more thorough audit.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hi All

Over the past few years I have been stunned by the huge holes I have found in systems within established businesses.

Be interested to see the response!

Cheers

I was stunned when I audited a supplier with a food safety certification and found 'huge holes' in the roof of their spray dryer :yikes:

When I refused to approve them their MD went ballistic saying several international 'very big companies' had approved them and who the F did I think I was!

I think standards can vary from one certification scheme to another and one auditor to another but at least GFSI provide a benchmark and there is some effort to 'calibrate auditors'.

Regards,

Tony

ads78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Charles

Appreciate the feedback. However in the context of the presentation and delivering a message, sometimes a rocket is better than a water pistol!

Cheers

Adam

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

I have been through both SQF and BRC and the strength of the audit lies with the auditor.  I have had an auditor that was present for 3rd shift sanitation and back for preop in the morning as well as an auditor that hardly left the conference room.  Anything the CBs can do to standardize the auditors would provide a more thorough audit.

Difference between a real auditor and a 'pen pusher'. Standards do generally stipulate how much time should be spent auditing 'operations'

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users