• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am developing a FSP for a hummus garlic dip producing company. FSP is not an issue as I am able to do this. However, I do not have much knowledge on hummus production. It would be great if anyone has developed or deals with this product and has developed a process flow chart and HACCP on it. This is the major assignment for my course and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Hi Praneel,

Please try to avoid double posting. It confuses people.

http://www.ifsqn.com...ge-2#entry89088

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

Good morning - amd welcome to the site!

I manage the food safety systems at a facility that manufactures hummus so I probably have most of the information you require. Rather than uploading lots of documents to the site it may be better if you message me via the message option and you can let me know what specific information you are looking for.

Kind regards,

S

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

Just a point the PM system is only available to members that have made >10 posts.

Ideally knowledge and discussion should be shared here for the benefit of current and future members...

Of course if some documents are sensitive then yes share those privately.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

Hi Simon,

Its not that the documents are sensitive - I will 'debrand' them - but more that there are potentially a lot of documents and I didnt want to clog up the system!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

No worries, let's see exactly what the OP wants and if you need to exchange email addresses I can be the middle man to do that for you.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Praneel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

Hi SpursGirl,

I am after the HACCP for hummus production specifically garlic hummus dip. What ingredients are sourced and what are the hazards, process flow chart, ..basically I need the whole HACCP as I have to develop this as part of my FSP (assignment). What are the process steps, their risks and control. CCPs etc. I know this is sensitive information with company information and brands.

I am developing the full FSP so any document in relation is helpful. Do you have a sample building layout that I could modify or use? I will not use any company name, brand or specifics as to divulge information to anyone. I am very grateful for your help so far.

Regards,

Praneel

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hi Praneel

I have attached the process flow for garlic hummus production - you will notice that the step numbers are not sequential this is because not all steps are utilized in hummus production.

There is a lot of data on my HACCP risk assessment but I can look at modifying it to only include the steps relevant to hummus production as defined on the process flow.

My building layout is very complicated - we are quite a big facility manufacturing several different product types but I can see if I can pull something together for you.

I will try and get to the HACCP RA and layout later today.

Please let me know if you need anything else or have any questions - and good luck with the assignment!

S

Attached File  Garlic hummus process flow.docx   75.43KB   393 downloads

Thanked by 2 Members:

Praneel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

Hi ,

Thanks formn the process flow. Do you not use chick peas and boil it to be blended later? Do you use garbanzo beans instead? I understand that chickpeas are traditonally used for hummus.

They are boiled and left to soak in the boiled water, blended/grinded into paste form and then all the other ingredients are added later. If it were supposed to be a hummus and garlic dip, would the garlic  be mixed in the blending stafe at higher levels for the distinct garlic taste or - mixed in the blend at lower amounts and then another shot added onto the top of the hummus as a layer of garlic paste?

It would be great if the HACCP includes the RA for the ingredients but if not I will research it. Looking forward to your replies.

You are a life saver. Thanks

Praneel

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

Hi Praneel,

Garbanzo beans = chick peas.

We actually purchase pre-cooked chick peas but yes if you were manufacturing from raw state you would soak and cook the chick peas.

The hummus blending is actually a 1 step blend - all materials are added to a very large blender (for want of a better description), the garlic is added at the mix stage but we also make a garlic hummus where we add some galic paste to the top of the hummus at the packing stage. The food safety controls are the pH - the citric acid is used to buffer the hummus to the correct pH (usually around 4.3) and chilled storage.

I have attached the modified HACCP risk assessment - I do not have a RA for cooking of chick peas as this is not part of my process but you can add that bit in - and a basic floor plan which you can modify to include chick pea soaking and cooking if you require.

Hope all of this helps - please let me know if you need any further help.

Kind regards,

S

Attached File  Hummus HACCP Risk Assessment.xlsx   38.87KB   374 downloadsAttached File  Hummus production layout.xls   47KB   285 downloads

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hi Spurs Girl,

Many Thanks for the documents. Most enjoyable.

Is the CCP methodology dictated by any particular Regulatory Body ? Or just required to be "based on" Codex or NACMCF ?

(TBH I thought you were in Canada but it obviously isn't an FSEP layout)

Do you list the likely specific hazards elsewhere, eg Pathogenic microbial species A,B,C etc?

I guess the CCPs 1,3,4 were a bonus. :clap:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi Charles,

I used to be in Canada (good memory!!) but now down in the states. We are not USDA so the requirement is just to be based on Codex.

I do provide more detail on the specific hazards in my HACCP plan document - it lists likely hazards, informatiton on micro growth requirement, potential points of introduction, controls etc etc - it is just way to much info to include on the risk assessment itself.

S

Praneel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

Hi S,

Really appreciate the information that you have provided. Last question (I hope)! Do you list the specific microbiological hazards that may arise from each ingredient. I have worked with HACCP that lists all possible hazards that may be in the incoming ingredients like salmonella from the tahini.

Do you have anything as such. By the way the HACCP looks great.

Regards,

Praneel

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

Hi Praneel,

I do have all that kind of information in my HACCP plan - it is quite a big document and covers all the materials we have on site for all of our products (we do more than just hummus). I will look at removing the informaiton not relating to hummus and will post up later.

Have a great day!

S

Thanked by 1 Member:

Praneel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Hi S,

I am grateful for your help so far. Could you provide the risk assessment for hummus ingredients please? I have done some research but havn't found so much on individual ingredient risks. You may be busy I understand but this last help would asist me in completing my assignment.

Cheers

Praneel

Fahimullah

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

Can someone share Hazard analysis for hummus. flow chart and how many CCP will be there. I already readout previous discussions and file saved but need further.

Regards

F

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

Can someone share Hazard analysis for hummus. flow chart and how many CCP will be there. I already readout previous discussions and file saved but need further.

Regards

F

Post 10 ?

Pls clarify what is the "further"

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Fahimullah

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

Further means I saved above helping material but still not getting clear picture..ie Rm to FG Process how many ccp will be there.I had a task of Haccp Manual including this hummus also so getting more and more regarding process.

thanks in advance

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Further means I saved above helping material but still not getting clear picture..ie Rm to FG Process how many ccp will be there.I had a task of Haccp Manual including this hummus also so getting more and more regarding process.

thanks in advance

Hi Fahimullah,

The process flowchart is in post 8. The CCPs are shown in red. There are 2.

The hazard analysis for the flowchart in Post 5 is in Post 10. The CCPs are shown in Red, Column L. There are 2 which match those shown in Post 5.

Additionally, some people use raw chickpea and boil it. This would probably add 3 more CCPs to the process similar, but not necessarily identical [eg see the temp.for cooking], to those shown in Sheet 2 of the 1st Excel in Post 10

There is a lot more information on hummus in the threads below.  Hopefully of interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...us-humushoumus/

(haccp manual which includes hummus in Post 6)

http://www.ifsqn.com...plan-flowchart/

http://www.ifsqn.com...art-for-hummus/

http://www.ifsqn.com...unts-on-hummus/

http://www.ifsqn.com...life-for-hummus

http://www.ifsqn.com...92-hummus-haccp

http://www.ifsqn.com...s-in-humus-dip/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Fahimullah

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Thank you very much for giving time and replying.

Ok CCP 2 and incase of boiling will add(we use raw chickpea).

Thanks ,will start if further any help needed ,will contact you.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

Thank you very much for giving time and replying.

Ok CCP 2 and incase of boiling will add(we use raw chickpea).

Thanks ,will start if further any help needed ,will contact you.

Happy to help.

From memory, the hazard analysis for hummus in the first link also uses raw chickpea but the analysis is more limited than in Post 10.

Please note that some of the links inside the threads may be broken due the age of the post.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users