• Quick Navigation
Photo

Looking for some insight on winter squash processing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Weebus90

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 78 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:47 PM

Looking for some insight on winter squash processing. 

We are looking to process butternut squash and i wanted to see what is acceptable.

When processing squash (dicing) is it necessary to wash the exterior of the squash before cutting it?

Most would say yes, dirt and debris from farms could be introduced into the product if not removed but since the product is not sold as a ready to eat vegetable, and must be cooked, is there a need to wash?

Thanks

Cory R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

I would recommend washing (possible chlorine added). There are numerous studies that you can find on L. monocytogenes introduction into internal food matrix due to slice/cutting.This would pose a risk if your only food safety system in place is the temperature control ie refrigeration since L. monocytogenes is psychrotropic. If consumers don't heat properly the chances of surviving microbes are increased when they are incorporated internally (similar concept to texture meat product and risk associated with that process)

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

There are produce washers that can be purchased, or if you have a talented maintenance person, one can be made. Salmonella can also be found on varying types of produce and if it's on the product even though most would cook it first, that doesn't mean all will. In this day and age you need to cover all your bases. A chlorine wash could be as high as 150ppm followed by a potable water rinse step.  

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users