Silviapa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hello!

I am working on a HACCP plan for refrigerated pickles. I know that this type of items are not subject to the FDA Low Acid Food Regulation. This means I do not need to control pH and/or salt content? and do I only need to control storage temperature? What CCP's should I have?

Thanks so much for your help.

Silvia

Philip Jones

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

You have to determine your own CCPs using your risk assessment and decision tree,  but your statement that you don't have to control pH and/or salt content seems wrong to me.  The fact that you do not have to actively modify formulation is not the same as not controlling it.  You have to be sure that your pH is actually below 4.2 / 4.3 / 4.5 (whatever is the appropriately recognised pH in your country for preventing pathogenic growth).  In this instance, a confirmatory check is actually a control step.

Regards,

The Director

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hello!

I am working on a HACCP plan for refrigerated pickles. I know that this type of items are not subject to the FDA Low Acid Food Regulation. This means I do not need to control pH and/or salt content? and do I only need to control storage temperature? What CCP's should I have?

Thanks so much for your help.

Silvia

Hi Silviapa,

Seems like there are a variety of processes for making pickles, hot,cold, mixed. Desired shelf-life also looks to be relevant.

See the links in post below, and as per the previous post, the pH is critical. And, depending on yr process, maybe a few others.

http://www.ifsqn.com...ing/#entry60439

I can add a few,  maybe useful files -

Attached File  refrigerated dill pickles.pdf   2.67MB   278 downloads

Attached File  homemade - Pickles.pdf   830.09KB   203 downloads

Attached File  USDA - Pickles.pdf   94.62KB   260 downloads

PS - I also noticed this comment -

Regulations
If you are seriously interested in making acidified foods, you must become familiar with the acidified foods regulations described in the Code of Federal Regulation Title 21 Part 114 for FDA regulated products and Title 9 Parts 318 and 381 for USDA regulated products.  It is also important to review the FDA guidelines for inspection of acidified foods manufacturers available at FDAs website.  In addition, any food manufacturer must obey the Good Manufacturing Practices regulations described in Title 21 Part 110.  All documents are available through NECFE for your convenience.

Strictly speaking, the regulations only cover acidified foods that are shelf-stable, that is, foods that are sold without refrigeration in sealed containers.  In reality, any food processor that manufactures acidified or acid foods, refrigerated or not, should follow the safety factors explained in the FDA and USDA regulations.

https://necfe.foodsc...acidified-foods

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jennifer Jordan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 November 2021 - 05:56 PM

Thank you for this information.  I just began working at a pickling company.  This is very useful.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users