• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

Struggling with phones.  

Said "No", then allowed minimal use (not in production/warehouse, only on breaks, etc.)

Now it's being abused.

I can't send my whole damn staff home as disciplinary measures.

How about a few ideas of existing policies and progressive discipline used in your facilities.

I have my ideas.

No phones.

warning

day off

3 days off

all the days off (you are fired) 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:21 PM

Do you have senior management and HR support?

Bottom line, this is a distraction from what you are paying them to do.  It can be a safety hazard as well.  You can't be inspecting product, looking for defects, making sure the product is up to spec if you are on your phone, Facebooking, talking OR texting. If you are listening to voices, or to music you could not hear or see a forklift....I know you are aware of the implications.  But if you don't have management support or worse, they are offenders, you will not have success in getting this changed.

I do believe the incremental version of discipline is the most effective IF you have backing!  Good Luck! 

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:
JPO

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

We don't allow them, except for leads and supervisors who need them for communication.

We purchased cell phone lockers and put them in production and packaging areas so people would have a secure place to store them.

For violations it's a verbal warning, then a written warning then a "good luck on your next job opportunity".

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:
JPO

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Same stoty here they stay in your personal locker with your street clothes or in your car.  Their use is limited to locker room and outside of work hours only.  Supervisors & managers used them for business only.  I have made the exception if your significant other may go into labor or if you have a person that may pass away, but these are 1 or 2 day things.

G

Thanked by 1 Member:
JPO

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:03 PM

Hi JPO,

If you don't provide safe, accessible storage for operators then you will always be fighting a battle to keep them off the shop floor.

Provide that first then ban. :banned:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 2 Members:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

We have a unique situation because there are no telephone lines running to the production buildings.  The workers need to have the cell phones to communicate with the Plant Manager, Maintenance, and for emergency calls.

We have the policy that they are not to be used for anything other than company business in the production areas, but it's impossible to enforce.  You would have to stand over each employee every minute of the day.

As a "mature" person, I decry the addiction that the younger generation has to their phones.  Texting seems to be especially problematic.  I can't fathom what is so important that a person has to be blabbering about it every second of the day to someone.  Maybe I'm just an old fogy, but I think that this abnormal need to chatter constantly to random people is because we are not comfortable with our own company and our own thoughts.  It's that herd mentality, which gets dangerous.

OK, getting off soap box here.  I use my cell phone rarely, so maybe I'm immune.

I'll be interested in seeing what everyone posts as their solutions.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:01 PM

Thanks folks.

Executive approval granted for incremental disciplinary measures and a 100% ban of phones in the warehouse and production area will be enforced.

To be nice (damn it), we will be installing "cell phone lockers" in the break room.  That way, you can get your facebook/angry birds/candy crush fix at lunch and/or break.  Or, you can check your text messages, voicemails, return calls, etc.

it's a 95% victory, so I'll take it.

Going to be handing out warnings like crazy I fear.  I should simply pre-print a stack of warning letters, leaving the offender's name blank.

"On (date) you were seen violating policy (number) by use or possession of a personal electronic device in a prohibited area". This written warning will be entered in your personnel file and subsequent violations of this policy will result in increasing measures of disciplinary action beginning at suspension and/or termination of employment.

Sign and date here._______________

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

Works for me. :clap:

Marshall

QKEL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

We allow personal cell phone usage in locker area, breakroom and office area during scheduled breaktimes.  Personal cell phones are only allowed stored in locker.  Work cells are permitted in the warehouse but must be used for work calls only.  1 verbal warning, 1 written warning and then so long.  Of course, this provided some level of concern regarding family emergencies.  Provided company number to family members who may call in for an emergency and ask for the employee.  Employee is pulled from production to take the call in the office.  Removing personal cell phone usage on the floor has increased productivity as well as making it a safer work environment.

QKEL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:05 PM

At first, several verbals, a couple of write-ups and one dismissal.  Since the dismissal, no further issues.  New hires adhere from the start.  Biggest challenge was longer term employees.

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 33 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

So glad to read about what everyone is doing here with cell phones.  We restrict use to supervisors and maintenance personnel, but still have a few outliers.  I did make it a major topic of our GMP refresher training, where I used information from studies on the general filth level of them, and forbade use of a phone with a cracked screen (grounds for confiscation).

See link for some information to share:

http://mashable.com/...hese-5-objects/

I have to say, i think that seeing this comparison was eye-opening for many people.....

Thanked by 1 Member:

primadeli

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

Our site only allows cellphone use during breaks and we provide lockers for the staff who can padlock them if they wish.

I also swabbed a staff members cellphone during one break time to show them how "dirty" the phones are.  The results came back <1 APC and <1 Total Coliforms.  I had to hide the results and pretend I never took the swab.  :blush:

Rob Marriner

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Enforcement, food safety management systems and training.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:00 AM

Is using a mobile phone within a food environment the modern equivalent of smoking? The problem is hand to mouth contamination. To extend the argument should users be required to leave to area and to wash their hands before returning to work?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

We have a glass breakage policy that also includes cell phones. Light fixtures etc are checked everyday at pre op and during operations. I cannot possibly find all the pieces of the crystal should a cell phone be dropped and break. I just say to employees, are you comfortable sending a 2 year old to the hospital because their throat is bleeding from multiple cuts? I know that sounds harsh, but it is reality. I have made exceptions like those listed above, but other than our packaging room, I wouldn't want to touch my phone with my working hands (we process raw meat). I wish we could use the one two three YOU"RE FREE rule, but we have a really hard time getting staff in the first place. Hence the scare tactic I use.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

idealdreams

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

The use of cell phones in our facility is prohibited. Employees may keep their phones in their assigned locker, break room, car, but it's not allowed in the GMP Zone. Not only is it a distraction for employees while on company time, but it poses hazards in the event of a breakage. There's also the fact that cell phones can't be sanitized and using one after washing hands defeats the purpose.

Only administrative staff are allowed to use their phones while in a GMP Zone, and even then, only if for a work related reason.

OrganicCandyAng

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

I am implementing a no-cell phone policy in my production area very soon.

Our warehouse needs them because this is how they communicate back and fourth for supplies (we have two units).

My employees are fortunately very loyal and hard-working so far. So I don't have to worry about trust or facebooking instead of working. The issue will be cleanliness. Do a quick google search on the germs on a cell phone.  I will allow my staff to retreat to the break room any time they need to use it, but they must wash their hands after doing so and keep it in there.

I will be presenting the new policy by approaching it from a germ transfer standpoint. Maybe that would help? That's assuming the employees care enough but at least you're not telling them "we don't trust that you're not sitting on facebook" you're saying "this is a food company and this is basic cleanliness."

Also, thanks for the note on the fact that there is glass on phones! That's another good point I can use to show the practical reasons behind the new policy.

J0hn

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

We have a blanket no no in production/storage areas - mostly because of FB issues

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

We have a blanket no no in production/storage areas - mostly because of FB issues

Bigger question: Have you found any Pokémon in your production facility?

Because oddly enough, the logo outside my current facility is a Pokémon GO shop.  I have a challenging time describing how often I see people stop in front of the building, look at their phone, swipe their phone, poke at the screen, then move on. 

Gotta catch 'em all...

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

I understand from some maintenance mechanics that there are Pokémon out behind the production hall. They go find them, but only on their lunch breaks.

And we're out in a rural area. :)

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

Bigger question: Have you found any Pokémon in your production facility?

Because oddly enough, the logo outside my current facility is a Pokémon GO shop.  I have a challenging time describing how often I see people stop in front of the building, look at their phone, swipe their phone, poke at the screen, then move on. 

Gotta catch 'em all...

It certainly is a worldwide phenomenon JPO.  I accompanied my son around the other night catching the critters.  It’s a great idea to get the kids (of all ages) out and about.  I think more games of this kind will follow, but still not inside a food facility.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 179 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

It certainly is a worldwide phenomenon JPO.  I accompanied my son around the other night catching the critters.  It’s a great idea to get the kids (of all ages) out and about.  I think more games of this kind will follow, but still not inside a food facility.

Not ashamed to admit that I play. I've been known to run out of the house with no shoes on just to catch a pokemon down the street.

Caught a rattata (a mouse pokemon) outside in the parking lot this morning. Told my boss we may have a pest control problem. :-D Thankfully his adult children play as well, so he knew what I was talking about.

-Christina G

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hello,

Production people, QC and operatives are only allowed to use celphone during coffee break and lunch time. 

redfox

tahlyav

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Our Policy states: Cell phones shall be turned off or set to silent mode while stored in lockers or jackets on the property so that incoming calls do not disrupt normal workflow. Personal cell phones are not allowed to be taken on the production floor unless you are an authorized employee.Employees may use personal cell phones while on company premises if the employee is on break. If employee use of a personal cell phone causes disruptions or loss in productivity, the employee may become subject to disciplinary action. Employees are prohibited from taking pictures inside the plant with their personal cell phone unless they have authorization from Management. Authorized employees defined by the policy may include but are not limited to: Managers,Supervisors and Crew Leaders.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

I don't think I'm listening to any more responses unless you are willing to post your current pokedex.

:spoton:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

My pokedex is the Null set. I don't play.

I could post a link to my WoW character on the Armory, but it's not working right now. I have 7 level 100s there.

Martha ;)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users