• 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

In our industry, we have several products with claims. 

Any questions - please let me know!

Hi jesmorea,

Thks for the input.

I'm curious. What kind of claims ? When is a banana not a banana ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jesmorea

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

Hi Charles!
I gave a banana as an example so that you would understand when I mean when I say that our products have their own natural packaging.

A banana is always a banana. I hardly can see how someone would successfully substitute it.

Thanks,
Jessica

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

Completed my 3rd BRC Audit  last week. with a few minors but still got an A+. 

Thanks to all of you that in different ways have help me get there with all the information and expertise all of  you share. :happydance:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

Congratulations. Would you be willing to share your NC's and any insight into how the auditor "interpreted" the new requirements in issue 7?

I think people are specifically looking for feedback about the vulnerability assessment is section 5.4.

Perhaps what evidence auditors are looking for in 3.9.3 about supplier traceability systems

and what they are looking for in 6.2.1 regarding allocation of packaging materials to the packing area

Marshall

andyckyeap

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

Hi Maara91, what did you find particularly useful for the audit? or any area of concern?

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Well I would have been able to add, but our auditor called in sick today, so we're postponed. Agents & Brokers audit still on target though.

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Now audited!!! Agents & Brokers - 4 minors. Very much a systems audit as you would expect. There is an interpretation document for the standard which the auditors have, but is not available from BRC for us who have to comply to the standard. 3 of the minors were linked to this interpretation of our HACCP/VACCP/TACCP system. We're not happy about the interpretation guidelines not being available to us, but 4 minors?

BRC V7 was quite a challenge and we thought we had not done well as there were a lot of difficult questions from 2 experienced auditors (1 for each day due to sickness mentioned above). It may have helped to have 2 separate auditors as they were looking at different aspects of our business. It was as you would expect from a new standard with a focus on our quality manual more than the factory. Nevertheless, only 4 minors.

We're happy!

jesmorea

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

Hi BrummyJim!
I am glad to see that you are happy with your result! 4 NC-s is great!

Are you a member of BRC Participate? The interpretation guideline is there. I refer to it a LOT (maybe sometimes more than the standard itself!)

Have a great day!

mica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My Horses and dogs, looking after my chickens.
    Love walking, swimming and cycling.
    Enjoy Sudoku, reading, music and cooking especially cakes for my family.
    Love learning new skills and attaining new qualifications.

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

Well done, 4 NC's is definitely great, can you give us any idea as to the questions asked on the new areas of the V7?

What were your NC's  if you don't mind sharing.

Cristina L

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hi Jesmorea,

Please can advise what is the cost for single user registration on BRC Participate?

Thanks.

Cristina

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

1 on supplier approval - review not properly documented

1 on jewellery (operative wearing a necklace in factory)

1 on calibration

1 on machine missing from planned maintenance

All from factory and not procedures etc.

I managed to keep out of the main part of the audit as my bit is A&B. Just supported the factory tour.

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hi Jesmorea,

I can't find the Interpretation guidelines for Agents and Brokers on Participate. Can you give me a link?

Thanks.

jesmorea

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

Cristina L: If I remember right, it is around 150$ (Canadian) a year.

BrummyJim: Ahhhh!!! Sorry - I was speaking for food manufacturing :-) I could not find it in the Agents & Brokers as well!

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

I've spent the last week at a sister facility and attended the audit on Wednesday through Friday. Following are some observations.

YAMMV (Your Auditor Mileage May Vary)

1. Auditor grabbed 8 random COA's and asked for the spec sheets for those ingredients. Auditor raised NC because not all of the specs had corresponding entries on the COA. I understand the reasoning here. If the spec is the spec, would it not be a good idea that all of the specs are being tested and reported on the COA? In essence, it's up to the site to review the specs and determine which of those are important to food safety, legality and quality.

Site determines this, and demands suppliers show those on the COA's.

2. Ensure you have third party audit results/certifications for your suppliers. I would guess that most major ingredient suppliers are certificated to some GFSI  scheme. Make sure your purchasing department have a robust checklist/spreadsheet/file on each supplier.

3. If you are doing manual mix sheets/batching records (or whatever), make sure they are being filled out correctly and are rigorously checked for accuracy and completeness. (For example: if you have a mix sheet that has pre-printed quantities for a recipe/batch, and you do a half or double batch, make sure you indicate on the batch sheet that the batch in question was a half batch or a double batch, because the manually entered quantities will not match what is printed in the sheet.

4. Visitor logs. Make sure in and out times are recorded. (Food Defense). This particular facility has a really nice tablet based system, where you enter info and you get your picture taken and it prints out a visitor badge. Problem being there is a confidentiality statement you have to agree to, but there is no health survey that you have to tic boxes on. And even if you did, there is no way for anyone to review that before allowing you entry to production areas.

5. Make sure your people that receive reports from third party people (boiler treatment especially), are making sure that the reports they receive are within specs. This just frosted my ass. Why would you get a report from the guy that is supposed to be maintaining your boiler chemicals, that is WAY out of spec, and not question it right then and there? DO NOT file paper just because it's paper. Better yet, FIRE the provider that will give you a report that plainly shows that something is out of spec and not bring it to your attention.

6. I wish I could weigh in on a thumbs up or thumbs down on the Vulnerability Assessment for ingredients. It did not come up in the assessment. After the audit, I presented my take on it and asked for feedback. The auditor said that it looks good, as long as you can justify at what point some material becomes "high risk" and thus requires more, or better oversight.

Very thorough and fair audit. Real world perspective while ensuring the integrity of the written standard.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:06 AM

Hi Marshall,

Many thanks for the previous post.

I assume was a BRC7 audit.

Have a few brief comments.

No.1 - Depending on the specifics, this can also be Nitpicking. I have had several audit debates over what constitutes a representative specification.

No.4 - i have to wonder if the FD emphasis is US-centric. And the health a fear of being sued ?

No.6 - Yr comment makes me think about audit/auditor credibility. But, again, maybe US-centric emphasis/interest. Especially with respect to No.4 ?

Thorough. Hmmm. Fair - would like to see the NCRs. i notice that "HACCP" is unmentioned in yr observations. back to No.6

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

CLS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

After starting the topic I thought I would feed back on our experience - we have had our version 7 audit over the last 2 days. No issues raised with threat and vulnerability assessment - auditor was happy we had considered the expected risks at this stage  - he did indicate that there were likely to be guidance updates as time goes by and the topic grows. A thorough and fair audit with 10 minors.  

Thank you to all who have fed back their findings.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,834 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Is that an A then CLS or is it less than 10 for an A.  I forgot.

Well done anyhow. :clap:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

CLS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

Its 10 minors or fewer for an A so just hung on in there!

PSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

I've really appreciated this forum, especially in my facilities preparation to become BRC certified. The information about how your Issue 7 audits have been going is invaluable. We are only a few weeks away from our audit and are trying to finalize all the little details that could possible result in a non-conformity. We've never been BRC certified, so it's a very big step for us and has been quite the culture shift.

While doing some of my research, I came across this PDF from a company stating the most common non-conformities of the BRC Issue 7. For those who have gone through the Issue 7 audit, would you agree with the article? Or do you feel they are missing some things? Or are they overstating some areas that really aren't as big of a concern?

My ultimate goal is to make our product the best and safest that we can, thus the reason for moving to a GFSI scheme. However, if there are certain areas I need to focus more attention towards before our audit, I'd like to do so. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. My facility produces RTE jerky.

Attached File  impact-brc-food-7-non-conformities.pdf   1.9MB   52 downloads

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: version 7, BRC, VACCP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users