ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

Hi everyone, 

I didn't see a thread that addressed this specific question but apologies if I missed it. 

We are reviewing our SOPs and cleaning schedule; these were all written before I came on board here. There is an SOP written that all of the trash receptacles in the building are to be emptied, cleaned and power washed weekly. The way it's written, the power washing is to be done on the production floor after production ends (we make RTE snacks in case that matters). 

Even though we are very clean - our guy in charge of cleaning and sanitation is AWESOME - it seems like this is something that shouldn't happen.

Am I being too strict/OCD/etc.? What does everyone else do?

Thank you!

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

Do you have a sanitation room with your chemicals?  We used one to clean things like garbages.  It had a low sink so it was easy to clean big things.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

I presume you do sanitation at the end of your production day, correct? I would make a plan to do those first thing during the sanitation shift on the last day of production for the week.  You can do them in the your production area, them move to cleaning the equipment. 

I suppose I should ask if you are cleaning with water and chemicals at the end of each day, first...

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

Mr. I: our sanitation sinks are in our production area and our chemicals are stored near the sanitation sinks.

Setanta: Yes, we clean and sanitize (with water and chemicals) all food contact surfaces at the end of the production run each day. We have a power washer and a drain right by our sanitizer sinks and it is in this area the currently written SOP indicates we're supposed to clean our trash receptacles.  I do like your idea, Setanta, about making it the first thing to do after production ends on the last day of the week. Right now, we just say "weekly" and don't specify any certain day. I'll see if I can affect that change. 

Thanks to you both for your replies. I guess I am being a little too over-bearing but I'm on high alert for anything that is a no-no since we're trying to get SQF level 2 certified by the end of the year and I'm still so new to this life.

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

No worries, Emily, we've been there before.  It is better if you can specify a day or time when it is done and then document that it occurs. We use plastic pallet in a couple of spots and we have a cleaning log as to when they get cleaned. That sheet is turned in monthly.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

No worries, Emily, we've been there before.  It is better if you can specify a day or time when it is done and then document that it occurs. We use plastic pallet in a couple of spots and we have a cleaning log as to when they get cleaned. That sheet is turned in monthly.

Good idea. I keep bringing up things that I learn here (we need to be more specific, we need to test X thing, etc.) and am getting push back. I'm learning that I can talk and cajole all I want but I may just need to leave it to when we have our audit to get certified and we don't pass. But I'm making sure I get as much of it in writing as possible so I can defend myself for when I'm questioned why we didn't pass!  :doh:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users