• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hello All,

I have a question regarding storage of a frozen ingredient at an external (3rd party) freezer. I am thinking I can cover this with SQF 2.3.3 Contact Service Providers and a documented risk analysis. I am unsure if I need to update/modify my HACCP and Receiving programs to reflect a potential secondary storage location for the frozen ingredient. Have any of you run in to similar situations and/or how did you effectively document.

A little about the frozen product: It is a pasteurized frozen egg product, due to market we are looking to purchase inventory for the entire year. The supplier has been regularly used by us and meets all of our specifications, audits, approval etc. We just don't have the freezer space for the large quantity.

In addition to having the risk assessment, I am putting together an internal audit of the frozen storage company and could use some insight as to recommend items to cover. I have the generic lists such as: Certification(s), last audits (federal etc), GMP program, Pest Control Program, Temperature Control / Calibration validation/verification. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Cory

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

I think you are on the right track.  We have some of our product at a 3rd Party Frozen Storage facility. We get an annual  copy of their 3rd party GFSI audit, and we include them in our Mock Recalls so we can prove they are handling our product FIFO

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Cory R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the info, I've seen multiple topics on the storage of finished products at 3rd party DC / Freezer storage, but I was not sure if ingredients need to be handled differently. I guess I will just have to have it well documented and audited to show that we believe the food safety risk minimal.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:56 AM

Take a look a the alternative storage and overflow details in SQF Standards 7.2 as well.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users