• Quick Navigation
Photo

3,000 lbs tote of peanuts came with a tear in the tote - what to do?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

idealdreams

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

The company I work for produces candy products containing raw peanuts. These peanuts are cooked to roughly 300 degrees to eliminate any concern of salmonella as part of our HACCP plan. We just received a shipment of peanuts from one of our suppliers this morning and one of the totes had a tear in it, exposing the peanuts.

What is the correct action to take in this situation in terms of documentation and corrective action? Any? Should the shipment have been rejected?

Thoughts?

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Personally i would say reject it. Where did the tear occur? If you cannot answer that question and guarantee that the product is unadulterated what assurance can you give your customers that it is safe? Error on the side of caution is my thought. Does heat kill every bacteria, parasite, harmful for consumption chemical...

Brian

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

It should have been caught by warehousing staff and rejected.  Photos while it was still in the trailer would assist you in getting a refund from the vendor.  I would contact the vendor ASAP to see if they would be willing to take it back.

-Setanta         

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

I agree 100% with Setana.  Anything that comes to our docks damaged is immediately rejected.  Never know what could have gotten into even the smallest holes.  Our warehouse guys keep a camera in their area in order to record anything like this before it comes off the truck.  

idealdreams

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have put this tote of peanuts on hold and have contacted the supplier regarding the issue.

Anoop Nazeer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:46 PM

Hi,
What if the same product that you have rejected, has been re-delivered to you in the future consignments. How to prevent such scenario from happening, since there might some unknown contamination that happened when the tote has opened.
Thanks,
Anoop

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:39 PM

Hey Anoop,

This is a very old thread to necro.

You might want to open a new thread asking your question and give a bit more info (is it a new lot#, do you have an agreement with the supplier that they can reprocess product and redeliver, etc.)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users