• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC and ISO9001:2000 - How do they compare?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

wbanalyst

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

I work for a winery who sells to retailers in the UK and I am interested in opinions on whether or not having ISO 9001:2000 Certificaiton, including HACCP rolled into ISO with our CCPs identified and controlled, is suitable for addressing the BRC standards without going through that certificaiton process?

Any thoughts? :rolleyes:

Thanks

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

The BRC standard has clauses that require a documented QMS system which would almost certainly be addressed by a system certificated to ISO 9001: 2000, the standard also calls for a HACCP study, however these two systems would not IMO meet the full requirements of the BRC standard as they do not directly address areas such as building design and maintenance, hygiene training and personal hygiene/workwear which would normally be required as prerequisites for any credible HACCP study.

It sounds simplistic to say but the only way to address the BRC standard fully is to get hold of a copy of the standard and prepare a manual which states your company policy on how you will comply with each of the clauses and then implement such systems as are necessary to ensure this compliance, although Im not sure why you would want to do all the work to meet the standard and then not seek certification ?

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

It depends if you supply retailer 'own brand' products or not. If you do then in theory you must achieve BRC Global Standard - Food at some point (when and if they enforce their own rule). If you do not then you may not have to achieve Certification, but as Martin says ISO 9001:2000 and HACCP virtually take you there in terms of a food safety system. Why not prepare your system based on the requirements of BRC and then if required you can get the badge without too much hassle.

Welcome to the forums wbanalyst.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

Hi Wbanalist,

Every standard has its own characteristics and there is certainly overlap between them.
As Simon already suggested, get copies of ISO 9001:2000, ISO 22K, BRC, HACCP and take the elements out of these standards that fit to your organisation.
Certification against a standard has advantages but you need to implement all elements, exceptions prove to be difficult.
The big question is if your organistion is mature enough to implement these elements in a natural way or will it be the battle from a few people who believe in these standards.
Another more generic problem with ISO standards is the level of abstractness, these standards are simply to difficult to read and understand. I can give them to an operator but only very few do understand what it is all about.
BRC standards are more specific and almost every body can read and understand them, a big advantage if you need commitment.

Have a nice day, Okido

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

BRC standards are more specific and almost every body can read and understand them, a big advantage if you need commitment.

We often knock standards so let's congratulate the BRC on the excellent layout and simple language of their Standards. :clap:

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users