• Quick Navigation
Photo

HACCP Categories for Food Processes?

Share this

Best Answer , 26 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

I wonder is this what you mean softball?

Decide whether products can be grouped using the process categories in 417.2(b)(1). This part of the regulations lists nine process categories into which meat and poultry production can be grouped; they and some examples are:

(i) Slaughter--all species: beef, swine, and poultry

(ii) Raw product—ground: ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey

(iii) Raw product--not ground: boneless cuts, steaks

(iv) Thermally processed--commercially sterile: canned beef stew, Pasta with meat

(v) Not heat treated--shelf stable: summer sausage, dry salami

(vi) Heat treated--shelf stable: meat and poultry jerky, snack sticks (vii) Fully cooked--not shelf stable: hot dogs, wieners, roast beef, ham

(viii) Heat treated but not fully cooked--not shelf stable: partially cooked patties, bacon

(ix) Product with secondary inhibitors--not shelf stable: corned beef, cured beef tongue

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

softball332002

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

Can someone tell me what are all the HACCP Categories for food processes?  I'm thinking it's five, but an auditor threw me off by saying 14. :headhurts:

lmarsh16

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 39 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hi,

I have encountered this in an audit before.  Here are the 14 the auditor said I should (and now) have.

1. Good Manufacturing Practices which includes:
  2. Product Trace
  3. Recall Program
  4. Complaint Management
  5. Vendor Approval
  6. Allergen Management
  7. Training
  8. Safety of Water and Ice
  9. Condition and Cleanliness of Food Contact Surfaces
  10. Chemical Control
  11. Exclusion of Pests
  12. Protection from Adulteration
  13. Calibration
  14. Waste Management

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

Hi Softball,

From an audit POV I would suggest that it depends on the Standard and the interpretation of "Category". And HACCP.

This year Food Fraud and related have definitely been  "in" for some FS Bodies. Others maybe not so much / different emphases.

You could equally claim that HACCP is a methodology for the control of significant safety hazards. So 3 Divisions ?.

ISO would maybe claim 3 rather than 2 ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

I have never heard of HACCP 'categories' ... do you mean pre-requisites as the list posted by IMarsh16 looks like them to me?

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:41 PM   Best Answer

I wonder is this what you mean softball?

Decide whether products can be grouped using the process categories in 417.2(b)(1). This part of the regulations lists nine process categories into which meat and poultry production can be grouped; they and some examples are:

(i) Slaughter--all species: beef, swine, and poultry

(ii) Raw product—ground: ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey

(iii) Raw product--not ground: boneless cuts, steaks

(iv) Thermally processed--commercially sterile: canned beef stew, Pasta with meat

(v) Not heat treated--shelf stable: summer sausage, dry salami

(vi) Heat treated--shelf stable: meat and poultry jerky, snack sticks (vii) Fully cooked--not shelf stable: hot dogs, wieners, roast beef, ham

(viii) Heat treated but not fully cooked--not shelf stable: partially cooked patties, bacon

(ix) Product with secondary inhibitors--not shelf stable: corned beef, cured beef tongue

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

I cant say i have read the HACCP regulations specifically, however from a BRC perspective 2.3.2 interpretation Key point of paragraph to me states:

"Product groups can be used where the products are similar (e.g. different pack sizes)  However, where significantly different products (e.g. coated and non coated meat products) are manufactured these are to be treated as separate product groups."

Well different pack sizes, OK i get that, but significantly different? that to me sounds like if i have a product X which is the same as product Y but is packed A into a box and B into a Bag in a Box. These would be different groups? because of the potential extra step in process requiring potential different assessments of risk to be assessed.

Another example if a product A is colored and product B is non colored (same packaging, raw materials, process) then this would also be a different group.

Considering those differences of products and their variants of which those variants that change the characteristics of the finished product would potentially give you a lot of groups requiring a lot of HACCP PLANS albeit contents of which may be very similar except for those changes!

Im currently looking in to this because if my interpretation is right, for 2 products and their packaging variations and storage conditions (chilled, frozen) i could end up with nearly 40 plans which cant be right. 

so if anyone has some more clear guidance on this please share!

Mjollnirthorb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:01 PM

Have you tried looking here,  https://www.fsis.usd...pport-resources

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN