• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

My name is Ulrich Schraewer and I consult food manufacturers in achieving and/or maintaining the BRC Global Standard for Food Safety.

The new Issue 7 introduced a new type of assessment. Under Clause 5.4.2 a vulnerability assessment is required for raw materials.

I sat down and came up with one option how to do this assessment and to be compliant with the standard. Please find attached a short pdf file which shows my approach to do a vulnerability assessment. The excel template can be downloaded from my website.

Best Regards.

Ulrich

Attached Files

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

Thank you for sharing Ulrich, I am sure members will find it very useful in dealing with this new and sometimes confusing topic.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

Hi Ulrich,

Interesting contribution.  Thank you. I have a few comments/queries –

(1) Seems to me that the approach is (ultimately) more of a 2-way (Occurrence x Detection) than a 3-way “RPN”.

(2) afaik, the 2-way or RPN formats are attempts to simplify the Grand-scale FMEA layout into visually handleable chunks.

I’m no statistician so unsure as to the  combinatorial rigor where the sub-rankings are added/multiplied respectively. Is this procedure(s) validated anywhere or just ad hoc. ? The manipulations are presumably related as to  whether the subs are dependent/independent/inclusive/exclusive.?

( I guess one could equally(?)  just calculate an average of the 4/2 subs respectively and  then use this pair of averages as multipliers. The latter route would have some analogy to methods available for CCP/OPRP determination.)

(3) The calculated “RPN” output levels  as linked to specific courses of actions are unstated in attachment. Do they exist ?  (I vaguely recall there are some traditional RPN cut-off settings although these maybe based on a 10-point scale).

Again, thanks for the input.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

This got a thumbs up last week at a Issue 7 audit.

Attached Files

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

Hello Marshall, nice simple overview of a complex data set.  So you total up the row for overall risk.  What are your action levels?  For example I see Honey is highest score...what controls would be different for honey as compared with for example garlic bread.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

Simon,

See attached file.

I did some "real world" modeling and came up with some numbers in the 52-55 total score range.

I made the action level 50. The auditor was good with that.

It's important to remember that t he Standard does not say HOW you have to do this vulnerability assessment, it just says that you HAVE to do it.

Marshall

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the table. It looks nice.

Like Simon, I have similar queries to those of my previous post although will be no surprise if BRC are determinedly oblivious to such subtleties.

Interesting to see if SQF et al follow BRC's trailblazing. Somehow i doubt it. After all, that's what the FS in GFSI is for, i think ?.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:02 PM

Simon,

See attached file.

I did some "real world" modeling and came up with some numbers in the 52-55 total score range.

It's important to remember that t he Standard does not say HOW you have to do this vulnerability assessment, it just says that you HAVE to do it.

Marshall

Excellent Marshall.  You did it. :clap:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

Simon,

See attached file.

Marshall

Hi Marshall,

Just saw the 2nd Post.

Thanks for the SOP and Congratulations on yr Modelling to validate yr vulnerability assessment.

As you say, all Risk Assessments are subjective, both in style, format and implementation.

i suspect you have confirmed the prediction in my previous post.

So presumably the version in OP should also fly well.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thank you Marshal (and all IFSQN members) this is like Simon said ( :giggle: ) a great looking approach to a seemingly large project.  Keep up the support.

G

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

Thank you Marshal (and all IFSQN members) this is like Simon said ( :giggle: ) a great looking approach to a seemingly large project.  Keep up the support.

G

Simple Simon said. :ejut:

Sorry don't want to spoil this intelligent thread. :off_topic:

Ulrich Schraewer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

Thank you all for your feedback's.

This is just my solution or one option for a vulnerability assessment, which I wanted to share.

Obviously the user(s) can use different risk levels. I found 5, 3 & 1 quiet good as it really shows a difference in the final PRN.

In relation to Charles comment. Yes you could specify a certain course of action in line with a certain PRN.

I choose not to and once the user(s) conducted the vulnerability assessment for all raw materials they will have a number of high PRNs. 

Those are the materials/suppliers which need to be addressed first.  Actions will vary depending on where e.g. a higher risk was identified. 

Filling the table with life/details still remains the biggest challenge.

Therefore I included some helpful links were comprehensive data can be retrieved from.

Best is to download the excel file and start experimenting and see how the PRN changes.

Enjoy.

Regards

Ulrich.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hi Ulrich, I think that 5, 3 and 1 is a good way (and not an easy cop out) to draw out different risk levels and thus priorities for action.

Regards,
Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:59 PM

Indeed, the Vulnerability bandwagon has some similarities to the early days of HACCP where CCPs were springing up from every speck of dust in the Factory. The current result is an encyclopedical list of possible causes of vulnerability. And considerable logistical pain for we-know-who.

One analysis concluded it was far more important to prioritize control of any Vulnerabilities  rated at achieving ranking scores of >=8/10 than to worry about an  overall vulnerability number. I guess this represents a preference towards development of VACCP rather than VA. Coming soon ?

UK fraud gurus seem to be more interested in focusing on Profit criteria rather than Likelihoods of Occurrence. Cultural influences perhaps.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

fstRicky

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

mgourley & Ulrich Schraewer

Very Helpful Information and like Simon - this very useful in dealing with this new and sometimes confusing topic - good on ya Mates!!

re

Lelouch_rayne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 160 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:01 AM

Hai Simon,

You mean, its okay not to put so much detail about the assessment? the number would be okay to represent the whole thing? what if the auditor would ask the details?

thanks,

Joan

Lelouch_rayne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 160 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:07 AM

HAi guys,

I've got some questions:

BTW, since we directly purchased from the ingredient manufacturer, should i still need to consider where did they get the ingredients they used for our ingredients? hahaha...im confused..

How would i know that they're telling the truth, could a piece of paper saying the origin can be enough for this?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

Based on risk you take it as far as you can and you get as much evidence as you feel is prudent.

You could ask your ingredients suppliers if they have a GFSI certification and also whether they have a vulnerability assessment of their own and perhaps get a copy of their procedure or at least the scope of their VA system.  And yes you can accept a piece of paper with country of origin.  You should build up a relationship with suppliers and know whether you can trust them or not.

Regards,

Simon

Thanked by 2 Members:

Lelouch_rayne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 160 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

Hai simon,

Thanks a lot for the input, as of now, i just send them questionnaire which i also based from VA. And i'm just hoping that they will respond it.:)

Regards,

Joan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

That's a start Joan. :smile:

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hai simon,

Thanks a lot for the input, as of now, i just send them questionnaire which i also based from VA. And i'm just hoping that they will respond it.:)

Regards,

Joan

Depending on the questionaire format and style if they want your buisiness they will endevour to answer it. If they dont well then as part of risk asessment for that supplier they would rate as unsuable in my opinion.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

Depending on the questionaire format and style if they want your buisiness they will endevour to answer it. If they dont well then as part of risk asessment for that supplier they would rate as unsuable in my opinion.

Hi David,

And the (I predict) likely supplier response is probably why BRC are dumping the diligence acquisition on the manufacturer. Means to an End.

For example see this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...res/#entry91284

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ErinMaher

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Hi,

My name is Ulrich Schraewer and I consult food manufacturers in achieving and/or maintaining the BRC Global Standard for Food Safety.

The new Issue 7 introduced a new type of assessment. Under Clause 5.4.2 a vulnerability assessment is required for raw materials.

I sat down and came up with one option how to do this assessment and to be compliant with the standard. Please find attached a short pdf file which shows my approach to do a vulnerability assessment. The excel template can be downloaded from my website.

Best Regards.

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich.  thank you for sharing your assessment.  Can you explain to me what PRN is?  Thank you.  Erin Mahr 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

Hi Ulrich.  thank you for sharing your assessment.  Can you explain to me what PRN is?  Thank you.  Erin Mahr 

Hi Erin Maher,

I think PRN = Priority Risk Number

it's more typically used to multiply 3 categories but here only two (Likelihood of Occurrence, Likelihood of Detection)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Bhawani Gorti

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 48 posts
  • 23 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food safety and compliance expert

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hi Simon and all other contributors I got much assistance on developing 5..4.2 version 7.0 standards.

once again thanks to all guys

B T Gorti
food safety and compliance expert

Skype id-Saradiro Services
website-www.saradiro.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users