• Quick Navigation
Photo

Anyone used USDA'S pathogen model program online?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ocintron

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

I have been recently been promoted to Food Safety and HACCP Coordinator of a frozen food processing plant. I work closely with the Quality Control department. I will be taking a HACCP management training course in December. My question is, has anyone used or attempted to use the USDA'S pathogen model program online? i've tried but to no avail. i'm trying to get a graph in place to show time and temperature for meat cooking in a steam injected vessel. Thanks for any input you may have.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

I have been recently been promoted to Food Safety and HACCP Coordinator of a frozen food processing plant. I work closely with the Quality Control department. I will be taking a HACCP management training course in December. My question is, has anyone used or attempted to use the USDA'S pathogen model program online? i've tried but to no avail. i'm trying to get a graph in place to show time and temperature for meat cooking in a steam injected vessel. Thanks for any input you may have.

Hello and welcome to the IFSQN.  Congratulations on your promotion.  I've changed the title of your topic to be aligned with your question and hopefully you will get a response from some users of the tool.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 94 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hi Ocintron -

I have used USDA's PMP extensively for growth determination. it is not set up intuitively, so you have to play with it some to get the hang of using it. I have used it for growth, rather than lethality, so not as familiar with that side of it.

Are you trying to determine a lethality curve or something else?

KTD

ocintron

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

Hi Ocintron -

I have used USDA's PMP extensively for growth determination. it is not set up intuitively, so you have to play with it some to get the hang of using it. I have used it for growth, rather than lethality, so not as familiar with that side of it.

Are you trying to determine a lethality curve or something else?

KTD

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to use it for growth. I have used it several times and I keep getting timed out after I enter all my pertinent informtion. Any secrets you want to divulge or suggestions. Thanks again and have a good dady.

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 94 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

Ocintron -

How many data points are you trying to enter? There is only room for start/end temps and sometimes a pH value...

I'm not sure the USDA PMP is the best tool for this. Unless you are trying to model a process failure, would you not be more interested in the lethality of this kill step? Seems like one of the Heat Inactiviation or Survival models would be a better fit...

You might look at the resources available at the link below. The THERM pathogen growth modeling program is pretty good and allows multiple data points to be entered.

http://meathaccp.wisc.edu/

KTD

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users