• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

Hello all,

My company produces poultry feed and we are in the process of attaining SQF level 2 certification. We are FSC 34, modules 2 &3. This being said, I haven't seen anything about hands free hand dryers. Can this be used in lieu of paper towels? I ask this because paper towels are mentioned specifically in the code but no where (that I noticed) are air dryers mentioned.  

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

WayneFiorelli

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

I do not know for sure what the code says about hands free dryers, but my SQF consultant told me during the class that he prefers to see paper towels. 

His reasoning? After you wash your hands, they are considered "clean" by industry standards, but germs and coliforms are floating around in a rest room. If you use a hands free dryer, you are simply blowing those germs directly into your hands, but the paper towels remove the liquid and leave the hands dry and clean. 

jenky

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 37 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

I recommend that you review the SQF guidance document that is available for module 3.  For example, the code specifically requires the use of paper towels in  module 11, but in the guidance document it states that if alternative means of hand drying, e.g. high-speed air dryers, then their use must justified and effectiveness validated  I think that you will find when you start doing research on air dryers that in many instances the dryer itself can become a microbiological haven that then blows microbes onto hands.  It is going to be hard to justify and validate their use, in my opinion.

Chris @ Safefood 360°

Associate - AIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 104 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

I agree with the above feedback. You might also want to consider the dispensing / delivery unit as well because microbes will present themselves on the handles or pushbars of crank-style paper towel dispensers. Consider a hand's free paper towel unit. 

Edited by Chris Domenico, 24 November 2015 - 04:20 PM.

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

read attached article.

Attached Files

A vu in time , saves nine

Thanked by 1 Member:

herdy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

It looks like everyone is steering you in the right direction, but just wanted to throw in a little bit. Air dryers are tested to be high in microbial growth because it's a warm, moist environment. This means bacteria flourishes within the dryer and then sprays them on clean hands. The exception to this rule is Dyson's. This one is so fast that it actually doesn't show an increase in the amount of bacteria being sprayed onto peoples' hands. Other than that specific dryer, paper towels are probably your best bet.

Hope that helps and good luck!

kitleen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:01 AM

It looks like everyone is steering you in the right direction, but just wanted to throw in a little bit. Air dryers are tested to be high in microbial growth because it's a warm, moist environment. This means bacteria flourishes within the dryer and then sprays them on clean hands. The exception to this rule is Dyson's. This one is so fast that it actually doesn't show an increase in the amount of bacteria being sprayed onto peoples' hands. Other than that specific dryer, paper towels are probably your best bet.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Referring to the microbial growth after drying hands with air dryer, we did receive one recommendation after being audited was to install a alcohol free antibacterial hand sanitizer.

We revamped the cleaning protocol to accommodate this. All staffs entering production floor must: wash hands > dry hands > sanitize hands. 

No issues after that. 

dsubiyantoro

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:21 AM

Just share my experience, I've designed our facility to entering production facility.

All staff must be:

1. Change the cloth.

2. Clean the cloth using sticky roller.

3. Wash hand by water and soap with antimicrobial agent.

4. Drying using hand dryer. Hand dryer must be cleaning everyday to remove any accumulate water, if not it'll be the place microbial growth.

5. Hand sanitize using alcohol free microbial.

Already implemented almost 6 years and no issues.

JohnWheat

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 60 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My Children, Motorsports, Film, Rita Ora and Mila Kunis :)

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:28 AM

Just share my experience, I've designed our facility to entering production facility.

All staff must be:

1. Change the cloth.

2. Clean the cloth using sticky roller.

3. Wash hand by water and soap with antimicrobial agent.

4. Drying using hand dryer. Hand dryer must be cleaning everyday to remove any accumulate water, if not it'll be the place microbial growth.

5. Hand sanitize using alcohol free microbial.

Already implemented almost 6 years and no issues.

This^

To add to point 5: Automatic version making it completely hands free using a sensor on the dispenser  :shades:

dsubiyantoro

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

This^

To add to point 5: Automatic version making it completely hands free using a sensor on the dispenser  :shades:

hi John,

yes correct we use automatic for hand wash and also automatic alcohol dispenser

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:54 AM

Hi All,

Attached File  micro.comparison hand drying methods,2014.pdf   1.05MB   105 downloads

Hot air driers  :thumbdown:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,660 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:12 AM

Interestingly enough we recently told an SQF consulting client that installed ten hand dryers and they are modules 2&11 they would either need to take tem out and replace with paper towels or they need to run a risk analysis that would include airborne testing at the blower unit.

If the risk analysis turns out ok and you are willing to ensure air testing plus ensuring the filters are checked regularly then an air dryer will be acceptable to the Auditor.

What's funny is that modules 12&13 indicate that either paper towels or an,"effective" hand dryer are acceptable.

We have had clients decide to take the risk analysis route abd air testing and they found the test results to be bad enough to warrant pulling the air dryers abd going back to paper towels.

Glenn Oster

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

MayraG06

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

Referring to the microbial growth after drying hands with air dryer, we did receive one recommendation after being audited was to install a alcohol free antibacterial hand sanitizer.

We revamped the cleaning protocol to accommodate this. All staffs entering production floor must: wash hands > dry hands > sanitize hands. 

No issues after that. 

Can you please tell me why alcohol free antibacterial hand sanitizer?

MichealGeorge

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

I started out using paper towels, but I wanted to switch something different. It can be argued though that paper towels offer a quick hand drying process, but there are some things to consider. Most of us have walked into an office or a public restroom and seen dirty, wet, paper towels strewn across the floor. Not only is it a trip hazard, but also, the waterlogged paper towels are a haven for bugs and bacteria to linger and grow. It is true that older models of hand dryers had much longer drying times and that bacteria could blow around. However, as with all kinds of technology, new models and innovations are happening all the time. The hand dryer industry continuously launches new products to the market, which improve the drying process and reduce the spread of bacteria.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

I did a literature reiew of paper towels vs. various hand drying options here you may find helpful for your risk analysis.

Ultimately as stated above, SQF allows "validated"  hand drying to be used in low risk areas, but typically wants to see paper towels in high risk areas. At the end of the day paper towels also improve hand washing compliance for convenience sake, so it's beneficial to you to use them whre you want good handwashing to occur. 

My general advise has remained that "habitual" handwashing locations like bathrooms, maintenance areas, or entrances to plants are excellent candidates for paper towels, and easy to justify in audit, while "on the line" handwashing stations benefit from paper towels for employee compliance, auditor happiness, and eliminating the bacterial blow issues.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:26 AM

My last facility and current facility use the air knives by Dyson.  Lovely hand dryers, but they must be maintained and the filters changed regularly.

In my last facility we did monthly air quality testing at each hand dryer.  Compared it to the air quality in our clean room.  If the levels of the hand dryers were worse than our clean room we would change the filter.  I wasn't there long enough to establish a baseline frequency in changing the filter at the air dryer, but I did notice a trend in that it depended on how often the air dryer was used.

The real sucker about the Dysons is the pre-filter and HEPA filter are one unit so you have to change an $80 HEPA filter if you want to change the pre-filter.  Well, we worked around that in getting our own filter media and cutting it to size.  So, we ended up changing out pre-filters as needed.  The HEPA filter was an annual change regardless.  Changing pre-filters was sufficient enough to bring down the air micro counts.  IT also helps to lengthen the life of the HEPA filter.

At my current company I can't tell you the last time the HEPA or pre-filter have been changed....it is on the bottom of my to do list to be honest.  We have bigger fish to fry at the moment, and it takes a strong culture to stay on top of that stuff, which we don't have.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users