• Quick Navigation
Photo

False Ceiling Removal - Please Suggest

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Is a false ceiling really a risk to product? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Is a false ceiling really a risk to product?

1. Yes (5 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. Don't Know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
* * * * * 1 votes

PSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

Per BRC 4.4.6 if your suspended ceiling is fully sealed, you should be fine. If it is not fully sealed, you'll need to have some sort of access to check for pest activity. We have suspended ceilings at my facility and we added them to our master sanitation schedule. I expect that to be adequate for BRC. Maybe someone else can speak to this with better knowledge.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mohan@

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Gardening, travelling,

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

Its a good idea to include in master cleaning schedule.

But in our case, it is difficult to clean as it is interlocked sheets(won't withstand weight).

At the same time it is fully closed and not chance of product contamination.

BRC is screwing our life on this clause. I may be blunt, but this clause is a NONSENSE clause.

Thanks Regards, Mohan Whatsapp No: +91 9743114693

Mohan@

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:17 AM

Guys kindly suggest....

As per BRC false ceiling shall be of cleanable and inspectable.

It mean, we need to remove existing false ceiling which is very good condition.
This leading us energy waste (room temperature) and becoming costly.
on the exisitng flase ceiling is sheet interlocked one and we cannot walk on this

Any suggestion, if we can retain the false ceiling as per BRC.

syju28380

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:54 AM

Dear Mohan,

How did you know that your existing false ceiling is in good condition?

It says "False ceiling shall be cleanable and inspect-able". What makes you think that you need to "remove the false ceiling" to clean or inspect? Please give more information, if we are missing something. 

PS: In my 35 years of life, I have never seen (or heard of) any false ceiling that can be walked over by an adult. 

Regards,

Syju

Mohan@

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:05 AM

Hi SYJU

I'm just trying to brainstorm the feasibility of retaining false ceiling by complying with BRC. It is important for us in line with energy saving.

As you asked, How did you know that your existing false ceiling is in good condition?... may be my answer cannot get evidence.

its visual on outside and no any falling of dust we seen.

And, when BRC says, false ceiling shall be inspectable and cleanble...

practically it is not possible right.

by doing this they(BRC) are forcing/ diplomatically imposing the removal false ceiling. 

syju28380

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

Dear Mohan,

You can have an inspection schedule and cleaning schedule for your false ceiling. If you can inspect and clean your floors, walls, machines, equipment etc, definitely, there is a way you can do it for your ceiling as well. 

By showing the records of the previous inspections and corrective actions (if any) you can demonstrate your compliance.

Regards,

Syju

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:16 AM

I agree with Syju.  

False ceilings are well know to harbour all sorts of potential contaminants, but that depends on the design, location and condition and the one in your factory will be specific to you.  BRC are not blindly telling you to remove it; they are asking you to assess the risk and by doing so you may find that inspecting it will be help you.  You may decide you need to clean it and can clean it, it may need some maintenance etc. Do the assessment and do what you need to do to prevent possible product contamination. Also remember to document the assessment, inspection and anything practical that you do such as cleaning and maintenance.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Harminnie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 27 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

We have a false ceiling that we inspect once a year by placing a "camera on a stick" (bought at a hardware store or online-not very expensive) into a crack or we unscrew one panel, then document it on our December maintenance sheet. Very simple and BRC is ok with it.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ashish Gupta

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

As per my experience & observation, food factories go for false ceiling in thier production area to cover the AHU's & wirings, they claim its regular cleaning but practically its not possible. False ceilings are highly absorbent, porous panels are almost impossible to keep clean. Over time these panels may come to harbour harmful pathogens and spoilage microbes within food preparation areas. Many factories get it clean only at time of Audits or Visits. Removal of false ceiling is not the ultimate option, you can opt for fully covered false ceiling with FRP sheet which is readily available in market. But it doesnt mean that it doesnt require cleaning. Cleaning of ceiling is as much important as floors & equipments.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users