• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:28 AM

Let's hear them ..I know you have some out there.For example, I was on a group chat yesterday and we have a religious nut within the group. He was claiming that there is now so many gay and lesbians because of GMO food....Kikikiki...

A vu in time , saves nine

JohnWheat

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 60 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My Children, Motorsports, Film, Rita Ora and Mila Kunis :)

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

^^^^^^ haha.

Some Non food people think the 3? second rule works (food on the floor for 3 seconds or less can be picked up and used/eaten)!

qalearner

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

That if the beef is "super high quality" you can eat it raw, it's only that lesser quality meat that makes you sick. Not sure how meat is lesser quality, slaughtering and hygiene standards are the same all at price points and all cows get their sh*t everywhere.

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

When I grew up..we were told kids are not supposed to eat eggs as we would grow up to be criminals..

A vu in time , saves nine

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

@JohnWheat,

Actually, the Five Second Rule isn't a myth and should be respected as a fact.

http://www.oregonliv...raw_beef_c.html

Which means the myth we are debunking today is the myth that the Five Second Rule DOSN'T work! Think about that for a second! HA

Now, for some of my own favorite food myths, FAIR WARNING; I have BS in Dietetics so I will do my best to be short winded on this post

1) Food Guide Pyramid used in US.

In reality, the development of this visual tool was ultimately sold to the highest bidder (food industry giants), which is why it ended up encouraging Americans to eat 6-11 servings of Carbohydrates a day! The recommendation prior to the manipulation of the food industry was a mere 3-4 servings!  No wonder we all got fat!

http://www.todayifou...d-food-pyramid/

2) Recommendation of 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

We have all heard that one before right? It's garbage. 

http://butterbelieve...of-water-a-day/

3) "Eggs are bad for you".

I grew up in a time where eggs had been demonized for their "cholesterol content". The recommendation being to avoid eggs completely, or just have two eggs a week. The script went like this; eggs = cholesterol = raised levels of blood cholesterol and high lipid profile = coronary artery disease = early onset of heart attack and or stroke. Sound familiar to anyone? It's garbage! Every single living cell in your body has cholesterol in it's cell membrane. Your body produces exponentially larger amounts of cholesterol then what the average person would receive in their diet. There is evidence to show that if you do in fact consume a larger amount than normal, your body simply adjusts by making a little less. That is of course unless your body has some type of dysfunction in this regulatory system, and giving generalized dietary advice to any entire population that is really only suited for a very small section of said population is just irresponsible. I would say it is plain stupid except I don't think it was a stupid mistake, no, I think the misinformation was quite intentional. Being the conspiracy theory loving guy I am, THIS script goes like this;  

One of, if not the biggest agricultural lobbyist in America = Corn. Corn is found in virtually every single breakfast cereal. Most people who eat breakfast would not eat both eggs and cereal in the same meal, so the "Corn people" slandered the competition to secure its place on breakfast tables.

https://www.medcor.c...stly-demonized/

But the "Corn" people were not satisfied. Corn is found in such a large percentage of things we buy it is concerning. Aside from eating it, we all drink it too. That's right, we all drink corn, high fructose corn syrup is everywhere. And NOW, we have corn in our cars! Yep, they adulterate our gasoline with corn made ethanol up to ten percent. So, keep an eye on the "corn" people, they must be monitored.

4) And lastly, one of my own concerns.

In the US we are encouraged to consume three servings of dairy a day.

Fine with me, I'm a cheese-o-holic, and yes, it is a real thing.

https://health.spect...-need-to-worry/

The only thing is, my intuition tells me that there are large populations our there that couldn't possibly have access to three servings a week let alone every day. So how come I don't hear about massive outbreaks of bone failure occurring in various parts of the world? I'm not totally sure. I do know some Calcium is acquired in green leafy vegetables and I am left to assume that your body has a fantastic manner of adjusting how much Calcium an be recycled and reclaimed before excretion. I don't have an answer for this one, just a problem excepting the current recommendation.

Maybe one of you out there has the answer for me?

Thanked by 2 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

Bald workers don't need to wear a hairnet.  :ph34r:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Myusername

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 14 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

Coffee stunts your growth. I don't know why people still tell me this, im 25 years old, have drank a pot a day for 10 years and am 6' 7".

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

...One of, if not the biggest agricultural lobbyist in America = Corn...

Benefit of being "first in the nation" caucus state!

It's a myth that if you swallow chewing gum it stays in your stomach for 7 years.  It is a myth, right!?  ;-)

MlissaB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 20 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

^^^^^^ haha.

Some Non food people think the 3? second rule works (food on the floor for 3 seconds or less can be picked up and used/eaten)!

I actually read a study on this! It covered what surfaces were safe, carpet vs. tile, what types of food it was hilarious!

I have dogs so nothing lasts 3 seconds on my floors and I wouldn't eat it if it did!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

When I grew up..we were told kids are not supposed to eat eggs as we would grow up to be criminals..

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:05 AM

I don't know if it can be called a myth or it's just some very poor understanding of food science (or just science in general) - "if you read the label and you can't pronounce the name of any ingredient on the label then don't eat it - it's full of chemicals" Try Googling "The Food Babe" - very scary stuff. If you can find her comments on a blog about flying and air quality (she quickly pulled it down because of all the negative feedback, but like anything on the internet it's there forever - It's funny but very scary because people believe it all.

And then you read stuff like this below and I wonder where we are headed. Show people all the evidence you can muster and it won't matter because you're all shills to the big corporations.

http://www.naturalnews.com/048099_autism_glyphosate_Monsanto.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users