Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

I work for a RTE meat processing facility. Our raw area is low-risk, but our oven and packaging area is high-care. 

We have one wash room where we wash all of our equipment. We wash things by hand and have separate washing tools that are designated for low-risk and high-care items. The problem with washing by hand is it is very time consuming and expensive. My company is bringing in a large, automatic washer to wash all of the equipment. The question I have is how do I effectively use this machine for both low-risk and high-care items? 

The goal is to wash as little by hand as possible. I know that I need to validate the separation between low-risk and high-care washing. The only way I can think to do this is by washing high-care items before low-risk items. However, this is likely not always going to be feasible.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I will be able to validate this new process of using a single machine to wash all items throughout my facility, low-risk and high-care?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

jibrad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hi PSC

In principle (and I think this would apply to all High Care standards) unfortunately it would not be possible to wash High Care equipment in the same washer as that used for Low Risk equipment, due to the risk of cross contamination, High Care equipment and utensils are dedicated to the High Care Area, so you would need to take them out of the High Care area to wash them if the washer is in low care, and take Low Risk items into High Care if the washer is in High Care.

I would suggest you position the washer, and use the washer for the area with the greatest amount of washing required, and in the other area either get another (perhaps smaller?) dedicated auto washer, or continue the manual washing program in this area.

You would also need to consider allergens in the sequencing (wash allergenic substance containing equipment last).

Lastly,  you would of course need to validate the effectiveness of the changes in washing processes.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but hope this helps anyway

cheers

David 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users